Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Removing the intake manifold, do I need to replace injector o-rings?

I am pretty close to getting a Catch Can and would like to take the intake manifold off to clean it out and start with a clean manifold. I had thought I read somewhere that the fuel injector o-rings should not be reused and was wondering if that is indeed the case and if so any idea what the GM Part# would be for their replacement?

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
I wouldn't take the intake off. More likely to mess something up that isn't messed up now. That little oil in there won't hurt a thing. It's an engine, oil is it's friend. Your already fixing the larger problem of excess oil usage with the catch can, so I'd leave it at that.

It is real easy to take off the throttle body. You could pop that off and just wipe off the back of the throttle blade. That gasket is reusable, so it's a very easy on and off job.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
thesnoopster

Drives: '10 SIM SS/A6 - '12 SIM Equinox LT
Good question because I was looking at taking mines off (intake and throttle body) to get ported. But I didnt want to mess with the injectors and stuff.

Mods: "93 Octane and a baby seat..." TunedByFrost/EFI Performance,LLC @ PAS "You gotta love me ... or leave me alone"
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I wouldn't take the intake off. More likely to mess something up that isn't messed up now. That little oil in there won't hurt a thing. It's an engine, oil is it's friend. Your already fixing the larger problem of excess oil usage with the catch can, so I'd leave it at that.

It is real easy to take off the throttle body. You could pop that off and just wipe off the back of the throttle blade. That gasket is reusable, so it's a very easy on and off job.
I will be swapping the throttle body out by the end of this week for one of the VMax CNC Ported ones from SC2150 so I may just clean off what I can reach. Not really concerned about messing anything up to be honest just wondering about the o-rings.

Thanks for the feedback...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
ODN13x

Drives: 2011 M6 2SS/RS
pull it all apart, you wont mess anything up, after removing fuel rail clean off injector o-ring and apply touch of lithium grease to them before reinstalling. it will take you all of 30min to remove the intake. Simple, o-rings arent old enough to worry about. If an o-ring comes off inspect it for a tear, no-brainer, if all good wipe clean and reinstall.
ODN13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
no... you only have to replace them if they have high mileage (~50k miles)

That's one of the benefits of these LS motors, you can rip off the intake and put it back on without replacing a single gasket.... a lot of the motor is like that.. re-useable gaskets ftw!!

The only thing to look out for is when you take the intake manifold off, that the hose coming out the back of it doesn't catch on your oil pressure sensor and break your sensor. then you will have to replace your sensor, and i think it's like $~35 or something.

then when you put the intake back on, you have to tighten them down in sequence, or else the o-rings (intake gaskets) won't seal properly

You should make two passes... the first pass, just hand tighten them, and then the second pass, torque them down to 7 ft lbs or 89 inch lbs

Old 02-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
Are there any DIY on removing the intake manifold??
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
thesnoopster

Drives: '10 SIM SS/A6 - '12 SIM Equinox LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntzV View Post
Are there any DIY on removing the intake manifold??
Good question...anyone?

Mods: "93 Octane and a baby seat..." TunedByFrost/EFI Performance,LLC @ PAS "You gotta love me ... or leave me alone"
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Really like the graphic and the info. Saving that for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
no... you only have to replace them if they have high mileage (~50k miles)

That's one of the benefits of these LS motors, you can rip off the intake and put it back on without replacing a single gasket.... a lot of the motor is like that.. re-useable gaskets ftw!!

The only thing to look out for is when you take the intake manifold off, that the hose coming out the back of it doesn't catch on your oil pressure sensor and break your sensor. then you will have to replace your sensor, and i think it's like $~35 or something.

then when you put the intake back on, you have to tighten them down in sequence, or else the o-rings (intake gaskets) won't seal properly

You should make two passes... the first pass, just hand tighten them, and then the second pass, torque them down to 7 ft lbs or 89 inch lbs

ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote