Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
storm79
 
storm79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 284
New Vehicle from GM, some say it's the XTS, I disagree what you think??

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/26/s...aught-testing/




I don't think this is the XTS, I don't think this is a cadillac either, and while it could be a caddy, the taillights don't look like cadillac. Could this be the new Impala? or could it be the Chevy G8?
__________________
storm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
8cd03gro


 
Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,007
Whatever it is, it's enormous.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner
 
King Sun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Posts: 987
g8 replacement?
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,812
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
g8 replacement?
What he said
__________________
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,237
Kinda has the profile of a G8.

Whatever it is, it's big and rear drive. Seems to have performance in mind too. Just look at the size of those brakes. Looks like fixed calipers on the front too.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Maybe it's the new impala? I know it's set to change for 2012.

It doesn't look chiseled enough to be any kind of new caddy.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Leolee

 
Leolee's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: us
Posts: 853
i can see why you would think its not a caddy but this pic says it all about how pointy the rear spoiler is and thats why i think it is a caddy even tho the headlights dont seem to not be right to me but of course remember this for the camaro::notheadlights:
Attached Images
    
Leolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Maybe it's the new impala? I know it's set to change for 2012.

It doesn't look chiseled enough to be any kind of new caddy.
If Impala was slated for a redesign in 2012, I would be jumping for joy. Alas, it is not.

It's a Cadillac...possibly an ATS IVER. Can't be XTS since it's RWD, unless GM's been pulling the wool over our eyes and made the XTS RWD.

And lights on an IVER give absolutely no indication as to what brand it belongs to.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If Impala was slated for a redesign in 2012, I would be jumping for joy. Alas, it is not.

It's a Cadillac...possibly an ATS IVER. Can't be XTS since it's RWD, unless GM's been pulling the wool over our eyes and made the XTS RWD.

And lights on an IVER give absolutely no indication as to what brand it belongs to.
I guess the camo is doing a good job here. It doesn't look the the lines that Cadillac has been using on it's other cars. Well, That's why I had the question mark at the end of that sentence. My dealer friend was the one that told me the impala was getting a redesign for 2012. That's why I ask if this may be the impala. I guess I need to stop listening to him so much. This isn't the first time I got bad info from him.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I guess the camo is doing a good job here. It doesn't look the the lines that Cadillac has been using on it's other cars. Well, That's why I had the question mark at the end of that sentence. My dealer friend was the one that told me the impala was getting a redesign for 2012. That's why I ask if this may be the impala. I guess I need to stop listening to him so much. This isn't the first time I got bad info from him.
Maybe they'll update it for 2012? All it really needs is a tweaked front clip and maybe spruce up the interior a bit. Should tide it over until the EpII model.

The EpII 2012 Malibu's going to cut into Impala sales methinks.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I hope it's an ATS-V...the proportions of that car are so...correct. And the wheels are not eleventy-billion inches tall...which is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Maybe they'll update it for 2012? All it really needs is a tweaked front clip and maybe spruce up the interior a bit. Should tide it over until the EpII model.

The EpII 2012 Malibu's going to cut into Impala sales methinks.
I thought Malibu was shrinking? And Impala was growing?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Maybe they'll update it for 2012? All it really needs is a tweaked front clip and maybe spruce up the interior a bit. Should tide it over until the EpII model.

The EpII 2012 Malibu's going to cut into Impala sales methinks.
So your saying the Malibu is getting the new platform for 2012? I may have misunderstood him then. He might have meant the Malibu and not the Impala. We were talking about both.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I thought Malibu was shrinking? And Impala was growing?
No idea, still not sure what variant of EpII it's going on.

Either way, when it launches it will be a vastly better car than Impala.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So your saying the Malibu is getting the new platform for 2012? I may have misunderstood him then. He might have meant the Malibu and not the Impala. We were talking about both.
It would appear so. Malibu IVERs have been running around for some time now. It'll probably be revealed at Chicago or New York unless there's been a delay.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
No idea, still not sure what variant of EpII it's going on.

Either way, when it launches it will be a vastly better car than Impala.
It already is.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,220
Definitely not an XTS. Decent set of binders on the front. Check-out the detail on the A pillar - anything out there with a similar design?
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
No idea, still not sure what variant of EpII it's going on.

Either way, when it launches it will be a vastly better car than Impala.
Hm...agreed. Though I don't dislike the current Impala....

I do have a question for you -- how can you tell it's RWD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Definitely not an XTS. Decent set of binders on the front. Check-out the detail on the A pillar - anything out there with a similar design?
If this was at one of GM's testing facilities, obviously it has to be either a Buick, GMC, Chevy or Cadillac (just rationalizing here)....based solely on the detail you're pointing out...

GMC has no cars, Buick is very flowing and organic in their designs...a sharp sculpting like that doesn't fit their styling identity. It could be a Chevy...but while they're not as organically designed as Buicks, they aren't nearly sculpted enough to merit that sort of design feature, imo...I could see it working in the "art and science" theme.

Coupled with the huge front brakes and pointy CHMSL/spoiler...I'm going to guess it's an ATS IVER...."final answer", .

EDIT: GMISN speculated that it's an XTS that skipped the mule stage....imo, GM doesn't skip development stages....I'll bet anything they've got an XTS chassis riding underneath Impala sheetmetal somewhere...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Dash-to-axle ratio.

RWD cars like this CTS-V typically have a large amount of sheetmetal in between the front wheel well and the start of the door panel.



FWD cars like this Buick Regal have less space between the front wheel well and door.



Now like everything, this doesn't hold true for every car, but it's fairly common.

Oh, and we didn't report that GM skipped the mule stage, Autoblog did. And if this is in fact the ATS, then test mules for that car have been running around for months now.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Hm...agreed. Though I don't dislike the current Impala....

I do have a question for you -- how can you tell it's RWD?



If this was at one of GM's testing facilities, obviously it has to be either a Buick, GMC, Chevy or Cadillac (just rationalizing here)....based solely on the detail you're pointing out...

GMC has no cars, Buick is very flowing and organic in their designs...a sharp sculpting like that doesn't fit their styling identity. It could be a Chevy...but while they're not as organically designed as Buicks, they aren't nearly sculpted enough to merit that sort of design feature, imo...I could see it working in the "art and science" theme.

Coupled with the huge front brakes and pointy CHMSL/spoiler...I'm going to guess it's an ATS IVER...."final answer", .

EDIT: GMISN speculated that it's an XTS that skipped the mule stage....imo, GM doesn't skip development stages....I'll bet anything they've got an XTS chassis riding underneath Impala sheetmetal somewhere...
I hope you are correct. The ATS cannot come soon enough. If it is going to be the 3 series killer they state, then it has to be RWD.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,349
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I hope you are correct. The ATS cannot come soon enough. If it is going to be the 3 series killer they state, then it has to be RWD.
It will be.

ATS is going to be the first Alpha car, followed by CTS, then Camaro. Supposedly Riviera after that.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Dash-to-axle ratio.

RWD cars like this CTS-V typically have a large amount of sheetmetal in between the front wheel well and the start of the door panel.



FWD cars like this Buick Regal have less space between the front wheel well and door.


Now like everything, this doesn't hold true for every car, but it's fairly common.

Oh, and we didn't report that GM skipped the mule stage, Autoblog did. And if this is in fact the ATS, then test mules for that car have been running around for months now.
Gotcha....I thought that might be what you were referring to...but I wasn't sure. From the looks of things, this test car has almost as much space between the dash and wheels as the Camaro...can anybody say "near perfect weight balance"?

As for the mule stage thing...My apologies.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I hope you are correct. The ATS cannot come soon enough. If it is going to be the 3 series killer they state, then it has to be RWD.
Agreed. I don't think there was ever any doubt about that, though, which is comforting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It will be.

ATS is going to be the first Alpha car, followed by CTS, then Camaro. Supposedly Riviera after that.
Oohoohoohoo...a RWD Buick? I love the sound of that! How long has it been since that's happened?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Agreed. I don't think there was ever any doubt about that, though, which is comforting.

Oohoohoohoo...a RWD Buick? I love the sound of that! How long has it been since that's happened?
Yeah! Can you say GSX with an LSA. That would be great.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yeah! Can you say GSX with an LSA. That would be great.
hehe...by the time a Reviera could come out...it'd be near the end of the decade...I'm thinking more like a Twin-Turbo 5.5L GenV!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
motorhead
bars suck
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
hehe...by the time a Reviera could come out...it'd be near the end of the decade...I'm thinking more like a Twin-Turbo 5.5L GenV!
Sounds good. Sign me up!!! A day when Buicks rule the drag strip again sounds pretty good to mean.

A 455 twin-turbo would be even better. LOL
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New OnStar iPhone app coming soon - Remote Start, Door lock/unlock all included nashstat 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 210 03-08-2011 11:41 PM
GM not honoring my Camaro paint warranty; paint cracking and peeling all over the car jackr67 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 132 08-03-2010 09:50 AM
Perceptions Die... OK Say Again Y Foreign is Better Cmicasa the Great XvX General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 428 11-09-2009 04:04 PM
Some Texas Lighting Laws Mecha USA - Texas 5 10-20-2009 01:49 PM
YOU MUST READ!!!! AirGoya General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 88 08-12-2007 04:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.