Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
KB2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Have the mufflers, thinking of whole exhaust now

Hey all

My m6 SS has the Borla S-type mufflers installed (Muffler only)

I was thinking about getting the rest of the S-type exhaust system, but want to know if it is right for me or not.

I am totally happy with my cars performance, and dont feel the need to try and improve it. The exhaust note however, is good, but I want it a weeee bit more aggressive.

The S-type muffler is nice, but now I'm wondering if I get the rest of the catback exhaust set for that muffler, will it alter the sound some to make it more aggressive? Or is it pretty much where it is going to be w/o swapping out the muffler?

Thanks
KB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
you can just get a x pipe. and that will pretty much be a cat back.and that will give you a weee bit more. but you if you want a good amount of more aggressive sound you should get a whole new system like borla atak

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
KB2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
you can just get a x pipe. and that will pretty much be a cat back.and that will give you a weee bit more. but you if you want a good amount of more aggressive sound you should get a whole new system like borla atak
Thanks Mike

Do you know if the X-pipe works with the mufflers as well? Or is it straight piping and I would need to remove the mufflers? I looked around and couldnt really get a straight answer.

PS: Situation makes the show :P
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
metallicide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2010 View Post
Thanks Mike

Do you know if the X-pipe works with the mufflers as well? Or is it straight piping and I would need to remove the mufflers? I looked around and couldnt really get a straight answer.

PS: Situation makes the show :P
the x pipe will go in front of the mufflers towards the middle of the car. You'll lose that huge resonator and replace it with an x pipe. I think edlebrock makes a bolt in one.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
KB2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicide View Post
the x pipe will go in front of the mufflers towards the middle of the car. You'll lose that huge resonator and replace it with an x pipe. I think edlebrock makes a bolt in one.
Thanks for the response

So I wasnt too sure what exactly a resonator did (Yeah, bit of a car newb), and looked it up. It seems like all a resonator does is quiet down the car some. Is this correct?

Now if I swapped out for an X-pipe, and in doing so getting rid of the resonator, its not going to make my car constantly SCREAM so loud it wakes up my neighbours and disallows me to have any form of conversation is it?

I'm just wondering now, that if the resonator does in fact quiet the car down, the real question is how much, and how much of a difference will I encounter? Anyone have any experience with the X-pipes? Particularly the Borla?

Edit: I've also watched some videos for the X-pipe, and I've been seeing a lot of people mentioning how "X-pipe makes it sound like a truck, while H-pipe makes it sound more like a muscle car"

Can anyone explain this further for me? I cant see why anyone would want their car sounding like a truck =/
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
Since you have an m6 the resonators you have on there won't make much of a difference in loudness. The A6 guys are the ones with the huge resonater. I took mine off (m6) when I put my borla atak on and it didnt make much of a difference in volume. Also, h-pipe vs x-pipe is completely a preference. I heard the atak catback version and mine sounds a little more choppy since I have the axleback and left the h-pipe in. A little more lope sound. The atak catback sounded good too tho.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Trackspec Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
As far as X pipe vs H pipe, the X pipe will add a slightly higher pitched, more exotic sound to the exhaust. I m not sure who says that it sounds more like a truck though! The H pipe will have a slightly deeper burble to it. From a horsepower standpoint, tests have proven the X will make more power most of the time due to its superior scavenging characteristics. If you take a look at most high end header manufacterers, they all have X pipes to get the most power.

Here are a couple clips you may or may not have seen.

If interested, we can set you up with an S type system or the new "atak" system from Borla or any of the many brands we carry.

As sfgiantsfan9 stated, the removal of the resonators for an X pipe will not make a dramatic difference, but it may be just the more aggressive ticket you are looking for.
Trackspec Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote