Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
LSR or MTI short throw

I'm looking into getting a short throw shifter and I've narrowed it down to the LSR and MTI six shooter. Does anyone have any opinions on which one woud be better, anybody have either of these? Any input and opinions would be great. thx

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The MTI shifter is sweet. That and the Hurst are my two favorite.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The MTI shifter is sweet. That and the Hurst are my two favorite.
This.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
MTI.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I've had my MTI shifter in my car for well over 1 year, 1 of the best mods I bought so far.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael's maro View Post
I've had my MTI shifter in my car for well over 1 year, 1 of the best mods I bought so far.
Do you have any pics of it by chance? I was wondering how tall it was.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it guys.

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
flht99b

I believe the MTI shifter is stock height. In fact I use the stock leather knob so it looks OEM. However MTI offers many different knob options so you can tailor the shifter to your personal preference. Shift throw is about 28% shorter that stock and all the "rubber" feeling the OEM shifter has is gone. I've had my MTI shifter for over a year and it feels as tight and smooth as it did the day I installed it. I have also never experienced any noise from it which several aftermarket shifters are known for.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
I believe the MTI shifter is stock height. In fact I use the stock leather knob so it looks OEM. However MTI offers many different knob options so you can tailor the shifter to your personal preference. Shift throw is about 28% shorter that stock and all the "rubber" feeling the OEM shifter has is gone. I've had my MTI shifter for over a year and it feels as tight and smooth as it did the day I installed it. I have also never experienced any noise from it which several aftermarket shifters are known for.
Ed M.
Did you notice any wobble, Like the Hurst had? How hard was install on it? I assume install was pretty straight forward but I read you had to lower the transmission.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
flht99b

No wobble but didn't have any wobble with the stock shifter either. I modified the instructions that MTI sent which in my mind made the install easier. In a nutshell I didn't remove the entire OEM shift assembly and build the MTI unit on a bench and then try and install the entire unit as MTI suggests. Instead I put it all together from underneath the car and I did not drop the exhaust system. It requires patience and careful assembly which any of the shifters require. All of the shifters I know of require you to remove the transmission cross member so the transmission moves away from the body a bit.
Ed M.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRoFreK View Post
Did you notice any wobble, Like the Hurst had? How hard was install on it? I assume install was pretty straight forward but I read you had to lower the transmission.
Wobble?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Wobble?

Yea I knew they said it was caused due to install error. I'm just real Scared to risk getting the Hurst and end up with that stinking wobble. Ireally like the way the Hurst looks and I know it has the shortest Throw 44% I believe. I have also read people saying it takes alot of effort to shift with the Hurst. My buddy has a Hurst in his 2008 Mustang I would assume there set up the same and I love his. Im just worried.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
2quick

Drives: none
pm sent with some info. Thanks for considering LSR for your purchase.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
No wobble with hurst....
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
MTI all the way!!

steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
2quick

chiming in lol

Figured might be a good place to post up our video also lol.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
Figured might be a good place to post up our video also lol.

do you have any videos showing some detail and slow shifting?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
2quick

Which kind of details would you like? Slow shifting I have none right now. I dont think ive ever had anyone ask me to shift slow lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
You can also use what Riley Technology is using in the GrandAm cars and what GM choose for the Camaro SSX.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
LSR is the sister company/division of steeda. They make quality parts, and have a great price. The MTI replaces the whole assembly, and has a long running making quality shifters. I haven't had experience with either shifter setup, but I wish you luck in making your right decision. I think it comes down to personal preference as neither is a bad choice.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
You can also use what Riley Technology is using in the GrandAm cars and what GM choose for the Camaro SSX.

Whats the Throw %? And in the video it says I can use any threaded shift knob. Whats the Thread size? do you have any pics of it in a Camaro? Thxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
LSR is the sister company/division of steeda. They make quality parts, and have a great price. The MTI replaces the whole assembly, and has a long running making quality shifters. I haven't had experience with either shifter setup, but I wish you luck in making your right decision. I think it comes down to personal preference as neither is a bad choice.
I had no idea LSR was a sister company to steeda thats good info. I'm really leaning toward the LSR right now. Thx

Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
Which kind of details would you like? Slow shifting I have none right now. I dont think ive ever had anyone ask me to shift slow lol.
I doubt you drive that hard in traffic....what I meant was that it's hard to compare videos when your's is just hard shifting. It doesn't really show the throw difference or such things as the possible "wobble" mentioned with the Hurst.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMAN402 View Post
I doubt you drive that hard in traffic....what I meant was that it's hard to compare videos when your's is just hard shifting. It doesn't really show the throw difference or such things as the possible "wobble" mentioned with the Hurst.

Yea like a Video where you go throught the Gears just sitting still to show the throw and side to side action while its in gear to see how much play it has.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Shifter

I'm sure those are all great shifters,but have you also looked at MGW?
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #24
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat rx View Post
I'm sure those are all great shifters,but have you also looked at MGW?
Yea I looked into MGW but I really dont want to have to change out the entire assembly. It seems like it would be a huge PITA I'm sure its worth it but I also wanna stay around the 250 under mark. But I might end up with it IDK I'm really diggin the LSR right now lol

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #25
MaRoFreK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-2-SS View Post
Two hours tops on the install start to finish when chaging the entire assembly. Easy and straight forward directions.
IC I have 2 months to figure it out but I really dont wanna spend that much on a shifter when I can get one for under 250 dollars thats just as good. Thats just my opinion I really need to drive a few cars with differant shifters but its just not possible.