Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Concept engine (not GM)

This is an awesome power plant that I hope keeps getting developed.
Saving the World Two Strokes at a Time
This is no wimp engine.
It's a two cylinder with four pistons delivering 300+ Horse Power
It's extremely small and very efficient and is presently in use in test applications
The configuration below is equivalent to a extremely ballsy four cylinder engine
When doubled, it's an extremely ballsy 600+ H.P. engine

Its called OPOC (Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder), and its a turbocharged two-stroke, two-cylinder, with four pistons, two in each cylinder, that will run on gasoline, diesel or ethanol. The two pistons, inside a single cylinder, pump toward and away from each other, thus allowing a cycle to be completed twice as quickly as a conventional engine while balancing it's own loads.
The heavy lifting for this unconventional concept was performed Prof. Peter Hofbauer. During his 20 years at VW, Hofbauer headed up, among other things, development of VWs first diesel engine and the VR6.
The OPOC has been in development for several years, and the company claims its 30 percent lighter, one quarter the size and achieves 50 percent better fuel economy than a conventional turbo diesel engine.
Theyre predicting 100 MPG in a conventional car.

Video of the developer here:
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/O...posed-Cylinder

Last edited by CatiaJockey; 01-30-2011 at 05:08 PM.
CatiaJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
98_Camaro
The Purple People Eater

Drives: 1998 Bright Purple Metallic V6
That's actually REALLY AWESOME!
Can't imagine what the torque would be like though.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Apex Chase

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Wow, that is cool.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
That is awesome! Anywhere we can sign up to be a test car for this thing?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I heard about that engine over the summer on Autoline After Hours (AAH #63) They had Hofbauer come in and talk about it. Its pretty neat and there are a wide range of potential applications for it. The show is about an hour long, maybe a bit longer but you can probably skip the first ~20 minutes as they'll be discussing 6 month old automotive news.

Oh, another little factoid: Bob Lutz is on the board of EcoMotors (the company that is developing this engine)

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Is he still with Volkswagen? That would be awesome in an SportEco version of an R32 or something like that.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Is he still with Volkswagen? That would be awesome in an SportEco version of an R32 or something like that.
I don't think so. I'm 99% sure that his work at Ecomotors consumes 100% of his time. The company has drawn people from many of the major automakers in order to develop this engine. Its probably at least a decade away from being in any vehicle from an automaker we've ever heard of (though I think there has been some interest by a Chinese truck manufacturer). The chief problem is that it will need to be proven before any major automaker will even consider putting it in one of their car, and at the moment its little more than a concept. On top of that, the engine is so radically different that they would pretty much have to build a brand new assembly line to make them, which is extremely expensive.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 01-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I don't think so. I'm 99% sure that his work at Ecomotors consumes 100% of his time. The company has drawn people from many of the major automakers in order to develop this engine. Its probably at least a decade away from being in any vehicle from an automaker we've ever heard of (though I think there has been some interest by a Chinese truck manufacturer). The chief problem is that it will need to be proven before any major automaker will even consider putting it in one of their car, and at the moment its little more than a concept. On top of that, the engine is so radically different that they would pretty much have to build a brand new assembly line to make them, which is extremely expensive.
If it is eventually proven to do what they claim, then you can be sure some, rather it be an existing one or brand new, automaker will put it in a vehicle. I agree the risk would be high, but it was also very high when Henry Ford revolutionized the automobile industry.

BTW, I'm probably being optimistic here.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
I'm anxiously awaiting the day this company goes public.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the day this company goes public.
I'm betting this will be privately operated for a long time to come. It's either that or they'll cash out to someone like GM. (Just guessing lol).
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
If it is eventually proven to do what they claim, then you can be sure some, rather it be an existing one or brand new, automaker will put it in a vehicle. I agree the risk would be high, but it was also very high when Henry Ford revolutionized the automobile industry.

BTW, I'm probably being optimistic here.
I was optimistic when I said 10 years. Could easily be more like 20. If it works, we will see it in cars eventually. But first, expect to see it in survailence helicopters, generators and other small scale applications for a while. No matter how much lab testing gets done, a few months in the real world will provide more data and a bigger range of conditions than researchers could hope for. And that will expose the weaknesses that need to be addressed before a company like GM would be willing to put it in a car. Most automakers aren't terribly keen on betting billions on a radical engine, they learned from the wankel. The wankel rotary engine took about a decade to develop before there was a half decent result, but even then, the results weren't nearly as good as the promise. They're wary of the same thing happening with the OPOC

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
makes me think of the reisser cycle engine

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote