Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Rabamaro
 
Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Prairieville, LA
Posts: 447
Help regarding high flow cats and headers

So I'm interested in slapping some long tubes on my LS3 or perhaps sticking to high flow cats and upgrading to the headers later. I've got two questions: Besides Solo, are there any other brand high flow cats and is there really any difference btwn the brands? Also, will LTs throw O2 sensor codes if you get the O2 extensions?

I'm not interested in tuning my car just yet for warranty issues. I appreciate any help!
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,636
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
If you install non LT high flow cats that fit before LT headers they cannot be used once you get the LTs. So if you buy the cats first the only headers that will fit will be shorties. Shorties are nice but do not seem to add much HP.

Just avoid the tune and you should be OK with the warranty. Get O2 extenders to avoid most CELs. But get a code scanner to reset them when you do.

Some people will tell you LTs are not a good idea without a tune, but while a tune improves drivability and has other benefits, it will only add a few HP. Several owners here run their LTs without a tune and seem to be happy with it.

But you never know with some dealers. So if keeping your warranty is a major concern, just get the high flow cats and get 1/2 to 3/4 of the power LTs and high flow cats give you.

If you are really nervous about your warranty stay away from all of this. In modding you have to pay to play.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
If you install non LT high flow cats that fit before LT headers they cannot be used once you get the LTs. So if you buy the cats first the only headers that will fit will be shorties. Shorties are nice but do not seem to add much HP.

Just avoid the tune and you should be OK with the warranty. Get O2 extenders to avoid most CELs. But get a code scanner to reset them when you do.

Some people will tell you LTs are not a good idea without a tune, but while a tune improves drivability and has other benefits, it will only add a few HP. Several owners here run their LTs without a tune and seem to be happy with it.

But you never know with some dealers. So if keeping your warranty is a major concern, just get the high flow cats and get 1/2 to 3/4 of the power LTs and high flow cats give you.

If you are really nervous about your warranty stay away from all of this. In modding you have to pay to play.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to get a tune with LT headers?
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
lrc250
480 HP 2010 2SS
 
lrc250's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to get a tune with LT headers?

To get the most out of them sure, but you don't have to. Most without the tune will also get the CEL for the rear O2 sensors.
__________________
Without data you are just another person with an opinion.
1100 :10/15/08
3000:3/2609
3300:4/18/09
3400 (broadcast)April 25, 2009
3800 (produced):May 4, 2009 #7470
4200 (Shipped): June 1, 2009
5000 (At Dealer) June 9,2009

374.9 rwhp & 371.7 rwtq - bone stock @ 85 deg.
lrc250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to get a tune with LT headers?
You don't have to get a tune but you run into a few issues if you don't.

You leave HP on the table that you could otherwise be enjoying.

But the bigger issue, if I remember correctly, is that you will be running lean and that can be potentially dangerous to your motor.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,636
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
You don't have to get a tune but you run into a few issues if you don't.

You leave HP on the table that you could otherwise be enjoying.

But the bigger issue, if I remember correctly, is that you will be running lean and that can be potentially dangerous to your motor.

T.
I believe the lean condition does not happen with the Camaro by adding LTs. There are threads on this.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,636
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrc250 View Post
To get the most out of them sure, but you don't have to. Most without the tune will also get the CEL for the rear O2 sensors.
The O2 extensions that move the rear sensors further out of the exhaust stream help. But I think everyone that has LTs without the tune eventually get CELs occasionally. When you do get them you can turn them off easy. And if you have a CEL it is not good to ignore it so the scanner is needed.

Because we are modifying the emissions control system with LTs or just high flow cats, any emissions warranty related claims can definitely be denied by a dealer. But of course we are buying new cats anyway.

So if the OP is worried about the warranty he should stick to a CAI and a catback. You can pick up 15 RWHP with those mods.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLP Headers / High Flow Cats (CHECK ENG LIGHT ON) HELP LENN2010Z28 Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 10 01-23-2012 05:55 PM
High Flow Cats with Shorty Headers? Aaron1121 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 14 07-06-2010 01:56 AM
Headers, High Flow Cats, Tune a pain in Virginia? MikeinVA Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 4 06-28-2010 04:42 PM
Modern Muscle Exhaust and Intake Special modern-muscle V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 1 01-20-2010 06:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.