Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
Cam Kits

would a cam kit work w/o the use of LT headers, CAI, and exhaust? i know it's better to have it, but that's a lot of money lol. also, who has the best cam kit that will also include all the other items? i appreciate any info that anyone has.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-RAY View Post
would a cam kit work w/o the use of LT headers, CAI, and exhaust? i know it's better to have it, but that's a lot of money lol. also, who has the best cam kit that will also include all the other items? i appreciate any info that anyone has.
The gains would be the same that's why you shoud get bolt on. The car will sound great and drive better

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Honestly depends on what you want to get out of it.

Would it make more HP and TQ with headers on it? Sure it will. Is it going to kill the engine if it doesn't have it? No not at all.

Now the bigger the cam and intake package you go with the more of a restriciton the factory manifolds are going to be. So let's say our G6X1 cam will pick up 35 hp at the tires on a car with full exhaust and intake and make 465 rwhp. You may see a 45 hp gain with a cam only but the car might only make 430 rwhp so you would see more from just the cam alone in this case but it is going to be down on power over all from a complete bolt on car.

Now take something larger like the G6X3...it may gain 70 rwhp on the same setup (full exhaust) and put down 490 rwhp...but you might only see a 50-60 hp gain and the car would be 450 rhwp without any of the other supporting modifications.

Now I have not tried this on a Camaro but going off of some of our other cams and how they would do on the Corvette's and older Camaro's with factory manifolds on them.

As for cam kits. I have kits for both LS3 and L99 cars, including DOD delete kits. We try to include everything down to the spark plugs in the kits so all you need is fluid and a tune once you are done.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Anthony
Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
First thing thing tell us is the car a A6 or M6? That will let us know exactly what we need to be discussing here. Do you plan on adding headers later or staying stock manfiolds? That would determine how I spec the camshaft a little bit.

We'd love to discuss options with you & we have complete packages in stock & on tax time special so feel free to give us a call if you have any questions!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

I have an LS3 with an M6, I eventually...down the road....want to add a full exhaust i.e. LT headers and a cat-back system.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Cully

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green Camaro
I just ordered mine yesterday from Ted and Jannetty Racing and it was a pleasant transaction. I decided to go the rough idle cam, long tube headers, CAI, and tune all at once just so I can get full potential right away. But like said before you can do just a cam you will just be leaving horsepower on the table. Maybe do the headers and such first so you have the best platform to build from when the cam gets installed?
Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

also, i know im gonna need cats to pass state inspection. my question is, will having high-flow cats suffice or do you think it will pass will just the LT headers? this may sound dumb idk.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully View Post
I just ordered mine yesterday from Ted and Jannetty Racing and it was a pleasant transaction. I decided to go the rough idle cam, long tube headers, CAI, and tune all at once just so I can get full potential right away. But like said before you can do just a cam you will just be leaving horsepower on the table. Maybe do the headers and such first so you have the best platform to build from when the cam gets installed?

that sounds like an awesome idea bud, but i don't have the funds to do all that right now. wish i did though lol!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Are you staying in NC for a while or will you be transfering somewhere else soon?

I'm not sure how NC is as far as inspections, if it is like VA it is just a basic once over making sure all the parts are there and they work. High Flow cats look like normal cats, there is only one of them, not two.

I'd get the cam spec'd out for your future plans and add to it as you can. It may not be the most power now, but you'll be able to build to it later.