Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
those of you with footwell lighting?

wired to your dome lights.... do you drive with your dome light on? i think thats pretty weak for the lights only to show when u open your doors... so do u guys just drive around with them on or? i think adding a switch may be too difficult...but maybe not
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
1badtie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
nope dont drive around with them on they just come on when the doors open at night thats enough for me

Performance:CAI, X-pipe, Muffler delete

Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers, Zl1 grill, AAC side markers, AAC LED backup lights, windows tint, taillight tint, JDP tow hook, all emblems blacked out
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
+1
Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

I see guys lol

well anybody hhave them wired to where u can turn them on and off maunually?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
My footwell lighting stays on at night in both the front and rear footwells
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
yeah I never thought that such a small thing would be important, but my wife is driving the new honda CRZ and it has very subtle lighting in the footwells and I think it's awesome and now I want it but all the ones I've seen are super bright and obnoxious looking.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I have mine wired up to the dome light. Easiest way to do what you want is to install a dimmer switch between the lights and the 12v. That way you can dim them to be "subtle"
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I jumped my power from the center console.theres a power lead for the phone charger there and its only powered when the car is on. i like mine on all the time alsoName:  iphone pics 065.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  111.3 KB
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Reaper1a

Drives: 2010 Summit White 2LT/RS
You could always add a secondary light/led that's hooked into constant power. That way the bright ones would go off w/the dome light, and the dimmer ones would stay on w/the car
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1a View Post
You could always add a secondary light/led that's hooked into constant power. That way the bright ones would go off w/the dome light, and the dimmer ones would stay on w/the car
haha, i was thinking the exact same thing. But yea, I dont like it where the footwell light bars are always on. Dont need more distractions while driving... especially at night.

If i was going to have a dimmer light on even while driving, I'd just get some single LEDs and pop them under... should be enough light imo.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I jumped my power from the center console.theres a power lead for the phone charger there and its only powered when the car is on. i like mine on all the time alsoAttachment 203592

could you elaborate more on this? u hooked em up to the the power source under your usb port?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I have mine wired up to the dome light. Easiest way to do what you want is to install a dimmer switch between the lights and the 12v. That way you can dim them to be "subtle"
might have to do that man.. im a noob at wiring though
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1a View Post
Thats exactly what I did. I have dim blue ones that are on when the dash and door ABL are on and bright red ones that go on and off with the red dome light!

Best of both worlds!
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) Twin Turbo
its a little distracting to have it on all the time i prefer to keep it off unless the dome light is on.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo Custom 51/57 | JRE Tuned | Borla S-Type Catback | QTP Cutouts | VMAX Ported Throttle Body
| Factory Hurst Short Throw | Sequential Taillights | LS7 Blackout | Rear Camaro Letters | ZL1 Grill | NightOwl Halos
| Plasma DRLs | Forgestar F14s | ZL1 Sideskirts | Plasma Afterburners | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
Just got mine wired. Only on when the doors open. Dont know what the cops would say about it glowing around your feet when he pears through the window
dmwhiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Mine are on whenever the dome light is on and that is enough for me.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
I have mine on a switch, they come on n off when I want.

Lupe

See www.camarocustoms.com
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
yeah I never thought that such a small thing would be important, but my wife is driving the new honda CRZ and it has very subtle lighting in the footwells and I think it's awesome and now I want it but all the ones I've seen are super bright and obnoxious looking.
Our LED Footwell kits comes in 15" strips. You can literally take a pair of scissors and cut the strip so that only 12", 10", 8" 6" etc is used and that allows you to dial-in the brightness to something that suits your taste. You can even take the pieces you cut off, solder new wires to them, and use them elsewhere on the vehicle, ie: back seat footwells or in the trunk
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #19
miltp
Jim Pappas

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS,Auto,G/X
Mine are wired from the area on passenger side sill panel.Tapped in so that lights only come on when door is opened. Also have that gradual on effect.
miltp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Mine are wired to the dome light. Not going for the Miami Vice or Nash Bridges look in cars.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #21
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
The 2lt and 2ss gauge cluster has a power port near the shifter. You can pull up the panel and jump into the power sorce so you don't have to run a ton of wire. This worked well for me but to each his own. I'm thinking the power port is for cell nav exced.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
nope dont drive around with them on they just come on when the doors open at night thats enough for me
likewise

CAI intake w/ ADM air scoop, Rotofab W/W Reservoir, Hurst Shifter, Skip-Shift Eliminator
AAC lighting, Kooks headers w/ high flow cats and Borla ATAK cat-back, Heritage Grill

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
link to the diy?
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
I've got mine wired for both. What I did was wire the lights into a 3 position switch (On/Off/On) and have one wire feed from the traction control light in the center console (that particular wire works the same as the ABL) and the second feed from the dome light. Depending on my mood I can set it to come on only with the dome light, with the ABL or even not at all. I also have the whole thing fed through a dimmer switch so I can fine tune it to my liking while driving. This setup took a bit of time but it's exactly what I want.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I just installed some and took some pics, just haven't had a chance to post them yet. I used fuse taps like these and ran it off my power outlet fuse. They require the car to be on to get power. I mounted a rocker switch under the dash so I can turn them off if I'd want to.

I've had them in my past 2 cars, it felt so dark to me without them haha. I don't see the point of not having power to them when you're in the car. To each his own I suppose.