Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
How to get my Amber Halo's as DRLs?

I got the amber halo's from aac and I finally got to installing them a few weeks back.

Name:  IMG_0199.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0196.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  95.9 KB

I have the 2LT NON-RS

One thing I've learned is that you really have to look for the halos if you are looking head on, which makes sense considering you would be looking into the headlight. And Amber is not really a bright color.

But if you are looking at the headlight from an angle, it actually looks really good.

What I am wondering is if I could get power from the parking lights so that I could just turn off my headlights and have the halos on... Basically I would want it to look like this.

Name:  IMG_0208.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  103.0 KB

Does anyone know what wire i would have to tap into or what steps I would have to do to make this possible?

Thanks,
Roshan
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
Not that it's my business, but...isn't it illegal to have red/amber lights on while you drive around?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
H3LL1ON
H3LL1ON

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro Synergy Green
I think in most cases the amber is ok as it is marker/signal color. Red is a ticket waiting to happen if you are driving with them on. Best to use red on private property and be parked ie: car shows.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Amber is illegal, reserved for construction, and road signs, etc. YELLOW, like turn signals isn't illegal. But more to your point OP... just tap into the Parking lights if you want them on with the parking lights lol... simple as that.

Or, wire them up with a switch, so you have more control over it.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Amber is the color of turn signals. It is an amber lens or bulb. The temp tape you place over the top is typically called amber as well. It's yellow yes but the technical term and actual color is amber. It's like Cyan is blue... but technically and properly it is called cyan.

In CA it is legal to have front turn signals either Amber/Yellow/Orange or White. Rear is red or amber not sure about white.

"Amber is one of several technically-defined colors used in automotive signal lamps. In North America, SAE International standard J578 governs the colorimetry of vehicle lights,[2] while outside North America the internationalized European ECE regulations hold force.[3] Both standards designate a range of orange and yellow hues in the CIE colorspace as "amber". In the past, the ECE amber definition was more restrictive than the SAE definition, but the current ECE definition is identical to the more permissive SAE standard. The SAE formally uses the term "yellow amber", though the color is most often referred to as "yellow". This is not the same as selective yellow, a color used in some fog lamps and headlamps."

So really Amber is used pretty loosely I guess LOL. Meaning turn signals and emergency construction flashers etc, can all be classified as amber or yellow, if they fall within the SAE range.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
I wired mine to my marker lights for that exact reason.

Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Not that it's my business, but...isn't it illegal to have red/amber lights on while you drive around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LL1ON View Post
I think in most cases the amber is ok as it is marker/signal color. Red is a ticket waiting to happen if you are driving with them on. Best to use red on private property and be parked ie: car shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Amber is illegal, reserved for construction, and road signs, etc. YELLOW, like turn signals isn't illegal. But more to your point OP... just tap into the Parking lights if you want them on with the parking lights lol... simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Amber is the color of turn signals. It is an amber lens or bulb. The temp tape you place over the top is typically called amber as well. It's yellow yes but the technical term and actual color is amber. It's like Cyan is blue... but technically and properly it is called cyan.

In CA it is legal to have front turn signals either Amber/Yellow/Orange or White. Rear is red or amber not sure about white.

"Amber is one of several technically-defined colors used in automotive signal lamps. In North America, SAE International standard J578 governs the colorimetry of vehicle lights,[2] while outside North America the internationalized European ECE regulations hold force.[3] Both standards designate a range of orange and yellow hues in the CIE colorspace as "amber". In the past, the ECE amber definition was more restrictive than the SAE definition, but the current ECE definition is identical to the more permissive SAE standard. The SAE formally uses the term "yellow amber", though the color is most often referred to as "yellow". This is not the same as selective yellow, a color used in some fog lamps and headlamps."

So really Amber is used pretty loosely I guess LOL. Meaning turn signals and emergency construction flashers etc, can all be classified as amber or yellow, if they fall within the SAE range.
Under Federal Law, it is required for a car to have amber marker lights on the front of the car. REQUIRED. Thus, all I have to say is that my rings are amber marking lights and it's legal

I've done research many months back on the web, and also have talked to several police officers in my area. They all agree. And I even asked that since my halos look more orange than amber if that would be fine and they said yes.

Roshan
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCowboy View Post

Do you remember the color of the wire for the marker lights that I have to hook the power up to?

I don't have a voltmeter on me :(

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Not only is Amber Legal, it is REQUIRED by FMVSS.
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
Under Federal Law, it is required for a car to have amber marker lights on the front of the car. REQUIRED. Thus, all I have to say is that my rings are amber marking lights and it's legal

I've done research many months back on the web, and also have talked to several police officers in my area. They all agree. And I even asked that since my halos look more orange than amber if that would be fine and they said yes.

Roshan
Ah, you beat me to it! lol
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post

Amber *strobe lights* are reserved for construction and tow vehicles.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
CamaroCowboy

Quote:
Do you remember the color of the wire for the marker lights that I have to hook the power up to?

Thanks

If I recall there are only two wires going to the marker lights. A black one (ground) and the Gray one (power)
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Penaw001

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:

Thanks
That one is purple on the driver side and brown on the passenger side. I got that off of a diagram that some one put on here.

Quote:
Does the marker light give you constant power or do you have to have the park lights on?
Penaw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
AACstyle

Quote:
If I recall there are only two wires going to the marker lights. A black one (ground) and the Gray one (power)
There are 2 markers, lets get everyone on the same page. There is the headlight marker (turn signal doubles as marker on the non-RS) and there is a side marker (sidemarker). The sidemarker has 2 wires that you can tap into,
Quote:
2) Locate the Green Plug going into the Sidemarker. Lock a T-Tap around the + line (Pass side= Brown, Driver side= Purple) you can use pliers to snap into place.

3) Now plug the Connector into the T-Tap:

Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
There are 2 markers, lets get everyone on the same page. There is the headlight marker (turn signal doubles as marker on the non-RS) and there is a side marker (sidemarker). The sidemarker has 2 wires that you can tap into,
Just to clarify, So if I wire my lights into the sidemarker, will the halos always be on even if the headlights are off?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
CamaroCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penaw001 View Post
That one is purple on the driver side and brown on the passenger side. I got that off of a diagram that some one put on here.

Does the marker light give you constant power or do you have to have the park lights on?

You have to have the park lights on but at least the headlights are not on so they show very nicely.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
CamaroCowboy

if you wire to the side markers then the halos will be on every time the marker lights are on.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
if you wire to the side markers then the halos will be on every time the marker lights are on.
I'm sorry if this is a common sense question, but are the marker lights on as long as the car is on?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
I'm sorry if this is a common sense question, but are the marker lights on as long as the car is on?
No marker lights come on with the parking lights.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
CamaroCowboy

and at dusk automatically.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

so would there be any way for me to have them on as a drl, like whenever the car is on?

Sorry for the late response btw, got caught up in work
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
AACstyle

Quote:
so would there be any way for me to have them on as a drl, like whenever the car is on?

Sorry for the late response btw, got caught up in work
OK, DRL= the light is on whenever the car is on but the headlights and parking lights are off. As soon as you turn on your halos or headlights they will turn off, I don't think that is what you want.

If you want them on whenever the car is on you can draw ignition power to do so. The easiest way to get ignition power is from the fuse box on the driver side dash board.

You can pop through the firewall grommet and use a fuse tap to get your 12V

Since you already came through the firewall you may as well throw in a switch.

1) First locate the fuse panel cover

2) Then remove the fuse box cover

3) In this case we are going to tap our power off of the fuse box to power our switch:

4) Switch Location
You can mount the switch wherever you wish, we chose to put it on the driver right side kick panel near the console.
This way it is out of sight but easily accessible to the driver.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
OK, DRL= the light is on whenever the car is on but the headlights and parking lights are off. As soon as you turn on your halos or headlights they will turn off, I don't think that is what you want.

If you want them on whenever the car is on you can draw ignition power to do so. The easiest way to get ignition power is from the fuse box on the driver side dash board.

You can pop through the firewall grommet and use a fuse tap to get your 12V

Since you already came through the firewall you may as well throw in a switch.

1) First locate the fuse panel cover

2) Then remove the fuse box cover

3) In this case we are going to tap our power off of the fuse box to power our switch:

4) Switch Location
You can mount the switch wherever you wish, we chose to put it on the driver right side kick panel near the console.
This way it is out of sight but easily accessible to the driver.

THANKS! I will try working this out when I get the time, nice to know what to do though! So to do this without the switch, I would basically just tap into the fuse box with the fuse tap and that's it?

BTW, I bought the footwells from you guys also (oem light tube matching) and I have to say I'm very happy with how it turned out Great Job!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
There is a second way to do it on non RS cars, You take a 2 Channel 5 Blade Relay and Pigtail and wire it up so the the DRL is powered buy the +open and the head light is on the + closed, Use the running light to close the the Relay and your head light come on at night and your DRL is the Halo's.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
There is a second way to do it on non RS cars, You take a 2 Channel 5 Blade Relay and Pigtail and wire it up so the the DRL is powered buy the +open and the head light is on the + closed, Use the running light to close the the Relay and your head light come on at night and your DRL is the Halo's.

I am just starting wiring and electronic stuff, so I hardly understand what you just said, let alone would be able to act on it! LOL But I do have a friend who is much better than I so maybe he can help me, I'll save what you wrote for future reference Thanks!