Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
porcupinekiller
 
porcupinekiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 662
Hot Rod pits a 427 Cobra against a 2011 GT500 Super Snake

The video is pretty cool.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/03/v...%28Autoblog%29
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
bigted83
They call me captain slow
 
bigted83's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro lt
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Illinois
Posts: 1,228
I would take the Shelby cobra anyday over the super snake
bigted83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 907
It`s no wonder the Super Snake won the drag race, it was running slicks and the Cobra was still running street tires. Try putting slicks on the Cobra if they wanted a true comparison.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Rather have the SuperSnake. Very surprising that the Cobra only put down 12.9 at the dragstrip. Wait a minute.. those were street tires!

Last edited by a_Username; 02-03-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: just noticed what mick did.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
syr74
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Thunderbird
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 951
The problem with testing a vintage 427 Cobra against anything is that the numbers are all over the place from one test to the nest, largely because the cars are really old now and restored can mean much nastier than stock in one car and not quite as mean as she once was in another.

On modern tires, the 427 Cobra is still an amazingly stout contender for it's age. So dominant was that vehicle in it's day that I'm not sure we've really seen it's like since. In fact, nothing realistically compared until the mid to late 80's when cars like the F40 and 959 debuted.

That is a real testament to just how ridiculous that car actually was. If we're talking greatest supercar ever it's hard to argue against the top two being this and the 427 powered GT40's, both of which were just insane for their time.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 907
The one thing that always amazed me was how long the 427 Cobra held the 0-100-0 for more than 40 years!!
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
porcupinekiller
 
porcupinekiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
The problem with testing a vintage 427 Cobra against anything is that the numbers are all over the place from one test to the nest, largely because the cars are really old now and restored can mean much nastier than stock in one car and not quite as mean as she once was in another.

On modern tires, the 427 Cobra is still an amazingly stout contender for it's age. So dominant was that vehicle in it's day that I'm not sure we've really seen it's like since. In fact, nothing realistically compared until the mid to late 80's when cars like the F40 and 959 debuted.

That is a real testament to just how ridiculous that car actually was. If we're talking greatest supercar ever it's hard to argue against the top two being this and the 427 powered GT40's, both of which were just insane for their time.
The 427 Cobra they used is a new one that is produced at Shelby American (they still built Cobras.).
http://www.shelbyautos.com/427sc.asp
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,196
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
The one thing that always amazed me was how long the 427 Cobra held the 0-100-0 for more than 40 years!!
Only to be beat by another of Shelby's snakes: the Viper. He (along with Bob Lutz) was part of Chryslers development team for the new snake, and one of their explicit goals was to break the Cobra's record.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
8cd03gro


 
Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,007
With modern tires, the 427 is still competitive with modern sports cars. It was literally unbelievable for it's time. One of the many reasons Mr. Shelby is and always will be a legend.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
porcupinekiller
 
porcupinekiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
With modern tires, the 427 is still competitive with modern sports cars. It was literally unbelievable for it's time. One of the many reasons Mr. Shelby is and always will be a legend.

Back in 1984 at a Ford/Mustang Show held at one of the Ford dealers a guy showed up with and original 1966 427 Cobra and I was fortunate enough to get taken for a quick blast in it by the owner. Unbelievably violent ride!! Fast, rough, loud and scary as hell and I burnt my leg on the sidepipe when I got out...a badge of honor. Lol
A modified original '66 Cobra won the Optima Ultimate street car challenge back in 2009.

http://blogs.mustangandfords.com/660...lts/index.html
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79
 
Stingr69's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LR AR
Posts: 1,641
Put some slicks on the old Cobra and it might be different - the ET could go down BUT the rather rare and expensive old Cobra could break something. Not good! They could have left the new car running stock street tires on the drag strip to make it more of a fair competition but that would be less flattering to the new car. The point of the article (or should we say "advertising") was not to be objective. It was to sell new cars so the lopsided apples to oranges test will probably achieve the goals set for it.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Put some slicks on the old Cobra and it might be different - the ET could go down BUT the rather rare and expensive old Cobra could break something. Not good! They could have left the new car running stock street tires on the drag strip to make it more of a fair competition but that would be less flattering to the new car. The point of the article (or should we say "advertising") was not to be objective. It was to sell new cars so the lopsided apples to oranges test will probably achieve the goals set for it.

-Mark.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,803
That's very impressive for the mustang if you ask me. It weighs almost 1,500lb more than the cobra with only a 200hp advantage and there only a half of second apart on the road course. The drag strip doesn't surprise me at all with the mustang running slicks. The tires on the cobra did look like standard street tires though. They looked like cheater slicks like they would have run back in the day. Did the video say that the cobra was on standard street tires? I can't turn my sound on right now.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That's very impressive for the mustang if you ask me. It weighs almost 1,500lb more than the cobra with only a 200hp advantage and there only a half of second apart on the road course. The drag strip doesn't surprise me at all with the mustang running slicks. The tires on the cobra did look like standard street tires though. They looked like cheater slicks like they would have run back in the day. Did the video say that the cobra was on standard street tires? I can't turn my sound on right now.
If you stop the video at about 4:07 when it`s heating up the tires they appear to be threaded tires. As for the 1/2 second road course difference it would have been a lot more after about 20-30 laps during a real race.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #15
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...
 
ArkySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,415
Look at the tires on the cobra again....look more like drag radials but yes not slicks.
__________________
It was fun while it lasted.....
ArkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
If you stop the video at about 4:07 when it`s heating up the tires they appear to be threaded tires. As for the 1/2 second road course difference it would have been a lot more after about 20-30 laps during a real race.
Cheater slicks back in the day had tread to pass DOT. Although no very much at all. They had just enough to get them DOT approved, but they worked damn near as good as real slicks on a car with the kind of power the cobra was making.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
mickss

 
mickss's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2009
Location: .
Posts: 907
The point I`m trying to make is the Cobra is running Goodyear Eagle`s on all 4 corners. I`m not sure if Goodyear makes a drag radial in the Eagle line. But then again at about the 0:45 it shows the Mustang warming up Goodyear Eagles so I could have been wrong about running equal tires during the drag race portion.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Funny...they never lifted the Cobra's hood, so no telling what was powering it. Back in '66, a non-S/C full-exhaust Cobra ran quicker times than 12.9, so 45 years of tire tech and this runs slower?

I suspect the 550 hp "claim" may be a lil optimistic...

Now here's a Cobra...



Same Cobra, in-car...

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
The point I`m trying to make is the Cobra is running Goodyear Eagle`s on all 4 corners. I`m not sure if Goodyear makes a drag radial in the Eagle line. But then again at about the 0:45 it shows the Mustang warming up Goodyear Eagles so I could have been wrong about running equal tires during the drag race portion.
Goodyear makes drag radials. The also make a Dot Drag tire for Dot Classes. and of course they also make full blown out racing drag slicks.

I think that cobra had more than just the typical street tires, because the lettering on the tires would suggestion some type of racing tire. Goodyear uses that yellow lettering on there racing tires.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
porcupinekiller
 
porcupinekiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Funny...they never lifted the Cobra's hood, so no telling what was powering it. Back in '66, a non-S/C full-exhaust Cobra ran quicker times than 12.9, so 45 years of tire tech and this runs slower?

I suspect the 550 hp "claim" may be a lil optimistic...
With a 121 mph trap speed a mid to hi 11 should be closer to what the car is capable of, not the 12.9 they ran.
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
BigDan

 
Drives: bug
Join Date: May 2009
Location: nv
Posts: 1,324
It would of been nice if they had a professional driver or at least one that could get a better time then some SVTP member got in his stock powered 2011 GT500. They should also throw a set a slicks on the 427 and then that would be a news worthy compro. Gosh who they heck make's decisions for these companies these days, I feel like a 9 year old with a smart phone could do a more accurate compro and overall better job then the Hot Rod magazine staff.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #22
chevyss
SS/RS
 
chevyss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 816
It's the Super Snake for me. I'm to big to get in a Cobra.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
cab2g
love. my. car.
 
cab2g's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,385
Oh the cars that I would buy if I were rich...
__________________
cab2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
SLOWHITE
 
SLOWHITE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toledo OH
Posts: 111
Looked like the old Cobra had road course tires or even nascar type of tire. Drag radials should have been on the Cobra for the drag test. The Super Snake was impressive, but I've seen a intake/tune/cat back new 5.0 run 12.11 with drag radials. The thing is he ran as bad as 13.4 after the track started going away. That's love seeing Mustangs on the street.
__________________
07 Trailblazer SS awd. 13.08, Vector tune, SLOWHITE intake, ud pulley, 160* t-stat.
My all year 'round, daily driven, boat pullin' Mustang beater.
SLOWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
M6HuggerSS
 
M6HuggerSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Crane Truck
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 330
those super snakes are bad-ass...
my boss has a 2009 with 725HP and a screaming KB blower...
that thing is a torque monster!
Attached Images
    
__________________
1998 Z28 M6 SOLD :(
315rwhp (3500lbs)

1999 HUGGER SS SOLD :(
400rwhp (3375lbs)

2002 YELLOW Z06 SOLD :(
360rwhp (3040lbs)

2013 CAMARO ZL1 COMMING SOON
M6HuggerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2009 Camaro starring role in Transformers Movie! Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 336 06-26-2013 05:28 PM
Hot air Intakes -By Kenne bell ADM PERFORMANCE Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 66 02-08-2011 09:33 PM
List of Intakes that will work with the TVS-2300 MagnaCharger JJ2010 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 26 03-19-2010 03:11 AM
2008 Shelby GT Super Snake (600-725 HP) .Hack General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 15 03-21-2008 07:54 PM
Shelby Super Snake KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 18 07-23-2007 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.