Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Desert Dog

Drives: Red Jewel 2SS RS 6M
K&N Typhoon CAI Illegal here. Thoughts?

Hi All. I am planning on buying the K&N CAI, but I read on their site that is is not street leagal here in AZ (and several other states).

Has this stopped anyone from buying it? I'd like to know your thoughts!

The K&N looks to be the best CAI solution for me...I am not doing a tune and I like the polished metal look VS. the black plastic tube on others and the estimated HP gain (while not much for any of them W/O a tune) is 18HP...not bad.

Please let me know what you think, and if anyone from AZ has bought one (Or any of the other states in which it is illegal).

Thanks!

Desert Dog
Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Why would an air filter be illegal?

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
cally has a law like this too

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Well... not advocating violating any laws... but I assume you have a yearly (?) Vehicle inspection? K&N looks to be about a 20-30 min install, if that; hang on to your stock for inspections and swap em out.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Well... not advocating violating any laws... but I assume you have a yearly (?) Vehicle inspection? K&N looks to be about a 20-30 min install, if that; hang on to your stock for inspections and swap em out.
What he said. I'm really sick of being told what I can and can't do with my private property in this free country. Not a political statement, just a fact. This is a prime example of why you guys should all join the SEMA Action Network.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Soon they will be regulating your house temperatures and how/when often you can grill, in order to conserve energy and fight global warming, it's a law they are discussing in California.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
They're already trying that here in Texas. Soft sell style.

CPS (local energy company) last summer asked all customers to allow CPS to install a new thermostat (for free) that would allow them to shut the A/C down for up to 15 minutes at a time throughout the day to "help alleviate system overload."

They said it would help lower the customer's bill as lower usage would drop total energy used. Of course they didn't mention the drain it would take when the A/C kicked back on again. And if they can control the thermostat to shut it off, what's to stop them from changing the actual temperature. So naturally I didn't take the bait and still have control of my own thermostat.

Here's the web page talking about it if you don't believe me (read the link on "peak saver" for the CPS shut down controls):
http://www.cpsenergy.com/Residential...aver/index.asp
mpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
cally has a law like this too
We sure do, but that didnt stop me.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
We sure do, but that didnt stop me.
Good for you. Tell them to take that law and stick it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Good for you. Tell them to take that law and stick it.
LOL, my thoughts when i inatalled it.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
Wow I didn't even know they could be illegal!!! Superchargers too??

But I don't think they have the right to open your hood if there are no "Decals" or what not... or Do they???

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #12
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
Wow I didn't even know they could be illegal!!! Superchargers too??

But I don't think they have the right to open your hood if there are no "Decals" or what not... or Do they???
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an officer can tell you to pop your hood without a legitimate reason.

The K&N is "illegal" because of emissions. If you have a yearly inspection, do like Drago said, and keep the stock one around to swap it back on for inspections.

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy willz View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an officer can tell you to pop your hood without a legitimate reason.

The K&N is "illegal" because of emissions. If you have a yearly inspection, do like Drago said, and keep the stock one around to swap it back on for inspections.

But these cars dont require a smog for the next 5 yrs. So yes keep ur stock and enjoy it if u decide to go without.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Oh and if you refuse to pop the hood they'll ding u for sumn else and possibly inpound ur ride. Has happened to friends of mine.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
mikeSS

how much emissions could a CAI put out ?

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
The cops there can actually ticket you on the road for cai mods!?!?!? Sounds like a good court challenge. Unless the agency is training/certifying them mechanically, how does the average cop know the difference??? I never would have a few yrs ago!!!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
The cops there can actually ticket you on the road for cai mods!?!?!? Sounds like a good court challenge. Unless the agency is training/certifying them mechanically, how does the average cop know the difference??? I never would have a few yrs ago!!!
i dont think thats the problem. (getting pulled over) i think its about there inspection they have like every 5 years or something like that

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
To the OP:
Show me ANYONE that has gained more than 5-8whp from any K&N intake, on a Camaro. If you just like the look of a metal tube in your engine bay, that's fine. If you really think that heat absorbing metal tube is going to give you 18whp, you're sadly mistaken. I'd highly suggest you do a little more research into what people are ACTUALLY getting with parts and quit trusting what any manufacturer claims. If you trust what the manufacturer claims, you should be running Splitfires or E3's, Zmax, and a tornado. By their clamis, you should have your Camaro in the 400whp range with under a $100 in parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Why would an air filter be illegal?
It's not the airfilter, it's the scavenging filters. The OEM setup has a filter that catches CO2 or something like that. Any setup that isn't enclosed AND has the special filters won't be emmissions legal. Seeing that it takes a rediculous amount of time to do testing and the cost associated with it, it's typically not cost efficient to get the certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
how much emissions could a CAI put out ?
How much emmissions does it add by moving the cats 6in further back to allow LT's with the stock cats? Absolutely ZERO, but that's the law.

While i'm not a tree hugging environmentalist, take the minute amount of emmissions that's put out and mulitply it by several million. That's where they're going with these laws. There are many other areas that pollute the air considerably worse than cars but that's another thread.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Got the Typhoon and liked it so much I modified the Tube to take the MagnaCharger when I installed it. With the MagnaCharger, the MagnaFlows, the MTI Tune, and the K&N Typhoon on a stock engine 541.9 rwhp and 513 rwtq., the sum of the parts work pretty good together and look good tooToo bad about the emissions police, I thought getting "CARB" approved was like the holy grail of legality, but I guess not.
Attached Images

K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
It makes me wonder how much information on star is sending to them to watch us?

2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS Automatic.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What he said. I'm really sick of being told what I can and can't do with my private property in this free country. Not a political statement, just a fact. This is a prime example of why you guys should all join the SEMA Action Network.
+1 ......shit ya
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #22
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
They're already trying that here in Texas. Soft sell style.

CPS (local energy company) last summer asked all customers to allow CPS to install a new thermostat (for free) that would allow them to shut the A/C down for up to 15 minutes at a time throughout the day to "help alleviate system overload."

They said it would help lower the customer's bill as lower usage would drop total energy used. Of course they didn't mention the drain it would take when the A/C kicked back on again. And if they can control the thermostat to shut it off, what's to stop them from changing the actual temperature. So naturally I didn't take the bait and still have control of my own thermostat.

Here's the web page talking about it if you don't believe me (read the link on "peak saver" for the CPS shut down controls):
http://www.cpsenergy.com/Residential...aver/index.asp
i'm sorry i read that. i'm getting to be " over the hill" but ( the goverment ) is just ......... well you get the idea.i sit here in my home.i read some of this and i think . ( i just stop myslef). wow you go to war you make it though to the other side and you see some of this stuff and think what the h. i guess we look at the plus side and say ok. but this a hard bill to take.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
Desert Dog

Drives: Red Jewel 2SS RS 6M
Thanks to all who responded. We don't have annual inspections here in AZ and I don't think I will need a smog check for 3 to 5 years. I guess I "get" the emissions deal, and I agree with many of you that the government is perhaps getting a tad too much "in our face".
I would like to see the data on how much "dirter" the CAI's are compared to the stock intake. My guess is that it isn't much.
Thanks again to all! I didn't expect to see this many responses!

Desert Dog
Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
Thanks to all who responded. We don't have annual inspections here in AZ and I don't think I will need a smog check for 3 to 5 years. I guess I "get" the emissions deal, and I agree with many of you that the government is perhaps getting a tad too much "in our face".
I would like to see the data on how much "dirter" the CAI's are compared to the stock intake. My guess is that it isn't much.
Thanks again to all! I didn't expect to see this many responses!

Desert Dog
well CAI are pretty good when you have headers and a tune. a CAI alone isnt a huge performance gain. but i would still get one for the sound and the engine bay will look better. thats just me.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #25
Bogey99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I have the typhoon and would recommend a diffrent kind such as an over the radiator. It looks good but just doesnt give you much of anything as far as hp gains. I published my results on the dyno a while back with stock runs and runs after installation. I realize there are so many variables with dynos and conditions but it just didnt pan out for me. I got a 1hp gain. There are better intakes out there I think. As far being legal, just keep the stock intake for a quick swap in the event of a fix-it ticket (CA).
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote