Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
porankazi

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Synergy Green
Cold Air Inductions?

i wanted to get an intake for my v6 camaro and i was wondering what Cold Air Inductions is and which is the best one? Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Cold Air Inductions and a K&N cold air intake? is it same thing? thank you.
porankazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
CAi is fantastic.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM

Is taking the original Stock Intake system off and replacing this with an aftermarket version. Better air flow, potentially better gas mileage, for sure more HP.

There are plenty of versions on the market. All are good. Some are slightly better than others. Just depends on what you’re looking to do. Cost, installation and HP can all influence your decision.

I personally have the INJEN and love what it has done for my Camaro.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
CAi is fantastic.
Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
porankazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Is taking the original Stock Intake system off and replacing this with an aftermarket version. Better air flow, potentially better gas mileage, for sure more HP.

There are plenty of versions on the market. All are good. Some are slightly better than others. Just depends on what you’re looking to do. Cost, installation and HP can all influence your decision.

I personally have the INJEN and love what it has done for my Camaro.
thank you. do you have to clean the filter often and is it hard to get the filter out since it is a long tube?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Corsair8080

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
I haven't purchased mine for the Camaro yet.. But the one I have on my Firebird (K&N) I tried to clean about once a month for maximum performance.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porankazi View Post
thank you. do you have to clean the filter often and is it hard to get the filter out since it is a long tube?
The filter is suppose to be cleaned every 25,000 miles. I plant to clean it yearly. It won't be to difficult to remove and blow it off with an air hose.

I see that you contacted me but unfortunately with my newly acquired partial banning and suspension I am limited to reading and posting only at the moment.

So I will do my best to answer your questions here. This is what you sent me:

Hey i have the Mrt 2.0 exhaust just like you and i am about to get the INJEN CAI. Good choice

Do you feel a great speed performance increase or MPG increase after having those two mods? Yes, those are the only two changes I have and as you can see by my signature I have run a pretty respectable 1/4 mile time with these two changes. Plus my fuel economy has increased.

And does it sound a lot different with the INJEN CAI Added? Yes, have you heard my posted you tubes. Take a listen to those.

And how much does it cost to put the CAI in? The INJEN was shipped to my house for $273.00 about a year ago. Caught a good sale.

Thank you
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
CAI definately !
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
porankazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
The filter is suppose to be cleaned every 25,000 miles. I plant to clean it yearly. It won't be to difficult to remove and blow it off with an air hose.

I see that you contacted me but unfortunately with my newly acquired partial banning and suspension I am limited to reading and posting only at the moment.

So I will do my best to answer your questions here. This is what you sent me:

Hey i have the Mrt 2.0 exhaust just like you and i am about to get the INJEN CAI. Good choice

Do you feel a great speed performance increase or MPG increase after having those two mods? Yes, those are the only two changes I have and as you can see by my signature I have run a pretty respectable 1/4 mile time with these two changes. Plus my fuel economy has increased.

And does it sound a lot different with the INJEN CAI Added? Yes, have you heard my posted you tubes. Take a listen to those.

And how much does it cost to put the CAI in? The INJEN was shipped to my house for $273.00 about a year ago. Caught a good sale.

Thank you
Thanks for the answer. It was very helpful
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
CAI inc - Cold Air Inductions inc. is a brand of cold air intake & my choice. I consididered RotoFab (also a good choice) but ended up going with CAI inc which is currently on order. The CAI will be installed along with my Borla axle back exhaust as soon as the CAI arrives. I liked the ceramic coating on the CAI inc, not having to move the window wash bottle, the look of it & the covered filter that still has a clear view & easy access. Just my 2 cents. I'll post pics when installed.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
CAI inc - Cold Air Inductions inc. is a brand of cold air intake & my choice. I consididered RotoFab (also a good choice) but ended up going with CAI inc which is currently on order. The CAI will be installed along with my Borla axle back exhaust as soon as the CAI arrives. I liked the ceramic coating on the CAI inc, not having to move the window wash bottle, the look of it & the covered filter that still has a clear view & easy access. Just my 2 cents. I'll post pics when installed.
+ This. I understand the injen is better but this is a brand new car which prides itself on looks. Inductions' intake is more money but looks really, really nice imo.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by porankazi View Post
i wanted to get an intake for my v6 camaro and i was wondering what Cold Air Inductions is and which is the best one? Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Cold Air Inductions and a K&N cold air intake? is it same thing? thank you.
I just wanted to point out a few key features of our system so that you will understand the method behind our madness so to speak. Here are just a few of the things we do to create a system that will maximize performance:

-Ceramic coat our intake tubes inside and out (the ceramic coating keeps the heat outside of the tube keeping intake air colder)

-Insulate our Air boxes (Again, keep hot engine air out of the system to keep intake air as cool as possible)

-We have designed and engineered our own filter to maximize airflow (its a lifetime oiled filter which you can clean and recharge)

-The box is all aluminum and TIG welded by hand, everything is top of the line materials.

I hope this helps!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
I just wanted to point out a few key features of our system so that you will understand the method behind our madness so to speak. Here are just a few of the things we do to create a system that will maximize performance:

-Ceramic coat our intake tubes inside and out (the ceramic coating keeps the heat outside of the tube keeping intake air colder)

-Insulate our Air boxes (Again, keep hot engine air out of the system to keep intake air as cool as possible)

-We have designed and engineered our own filter to maximize airflow (its a lifetime oiled filter which you can clean and recharge)

-The box is all aluminum and TIG welded by hand, everything is top of the line materials.

I hope this helps!!
Straight up truth The quality is what these cars deserve! Ordering mine soon =]
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
+ This. I understand the injen is better but this is a brand new car which prides itself on looks. Inductions' intake is more money but looks really, really nice imo.
Injen looks good also and cleans up the engine area, at least compared to the airaid. Wish I would have ditched the airaid sooner, there is a power difference you can feel and the car sounds much better now, to the point it really doesnt need the MRTv2 I was goung to get to replace the magnaflows
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Injen looks good also and cleans up the engine area, at least compared to the airaid. Wish I would have ditched the airaid sooner, there is a power difference you can feel and the car sounds much better now, to the point it really doesnt need the MRTv2 I was goung to get to replace the magnaflows
Nice, glad you were able to get the new injen so quick.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Nice, glad you were able to get the new injen so quick.
Ordered it I think last tuesday and had it last thursday and installed thursday night. Get that mrtv1 on and we'll meet up and compare notes
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Straight up truth The quality is what these cars deserve! Ordering mine soon =]
Glad to hear it, Thanks!! Make sure to become a friend of our facebook page as well for contests with prizes and product updates!!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I use the Blackwing on my C-5
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
unobadazzdosSSRS

Drives: 2 SS/RS
Quote:

I hope this helps!!
That's great information to know !

But before I buy one of your CAI's I do have a couple of questions about your Intake Tube and Air Box :

Can you polish the Intake Tube to a shiny gloss finish or would that strip the Ceramic Coating off the Tube ?

If you can polish the Intake Tube what product do you recommend using and can you also use that same product for the Air Box too ?

Thanks - no pun intended - for your intake on this !
unobadazzdosSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Ted from Jannetty Racing did a Air intake dyno test on a bunch of intakes and by his test CAI was found to be the best performing intake...i know when i get my car this spring i will be ordering that intake...If you use the search option you will find that thread,,,,a ton of good info on all the aftermarket in takes!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Ted from Jannetty Racing did a Air intake dyno test on a bunch of intakes and by his test CAI was found to be the best performing intake...i know when i get my car this spring i will be ordering that intake...If you use the search option you will find that thread,,,,a ton of good info on all the aftermarket in takes!!
Depends on how you define "best performing"... you seem to define it as the one with the most PEAK HP. Yes, the CAI had a very slight advantage in PEAK HP, by 0.4 HP, the Injen actually had a larger advantage in Average HP by 4.3 HP. Same thing with Torque. To me that gives more usable gains, make the Injen the better performing kit... you simply can't just look at peak number... you want to consider the whole area under the curves...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Depends on how you define "best performing"... you seem to define it as the one with the most PEAK HP. Yes, the CAI had a very slight advantage in PEAK HP, by 0.4 HP, the Injen actually had a larger advantage in Average HP by 4.3 HP. Same thing with Torque. To me that gives more usable gains, make the Injen the better performing kit... you simply can't just look at peak number... you want to consider the whole area under the curves...
What you said is true, but one thing to keep in mind here is that the Avg. hp in Teds test was derived from combining all of the RPM ranges. You typically stay in the 4k and above range for WOT. Our system may be less in the Avg hp rating but is better at higher rpms, which is where you are going to be at when wanting to use the additional hp our system is creating. So to sum up, you are going to feel the added hp where you really want to. Hope this helps out.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobadazzdosSSRS View Post
That's great information to know !

But before I buy one of your CAI's I do have a couple of questions about your Intake Tube and Air Box :

Can you polish the Intake Tube to a shiny gloss finish or would that strip the Ceramic Coating off the Tube ?

If you can polish the Intake Tube what product do you recommend using and can you also use that same product for the Air Box too ?

Thanks - no pun intended - for your intake on this !
It is a high luster finish but if you took some aluminum polish to it you could make it even shinier. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
I took the Black CAI, very easy to install.

It looks, sounds, and performs good.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
unobadazzdosSSRS

Drives: 2 SS/RS
Quote:
It is a high luster finish but if you took some aluminum polish to it you could make it even shinier. Thanks!
Would something like Mothers aluminum polish do the trick on the intake tube as well as the air box ?
Attached Images

unobadazzdosSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote