Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Is there a difference between AAC and Showstopper sidemarkers?

Is there a difference between aac's and showstoppers concept sidemarkers? I've been reading about both but were wondering if they were the same.

Also, would you say one is better than the other, or do any of you prefer the stock sidemarkers?
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I have the AAC LED sidemarkers and the dual intensity-circuit to make them blink with the turn signals and I love them. The LED side marker/turn signals makes the car more visible to drivers along side of you when you want to change lanes.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
I like the showstoppers better. The Showstoppers look like they fit in the natural lines of the car better without a nasty edge. Also they Showstoppers have the LED at the very top while the AAC's have then in the top 1/3 of the marker.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
FrankN

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I have a set of AAC side markers and have noticed that the fronts are reddish-orange. The Showstopper LED's that I've seen are more yellowish-orange. That is the only substantive difference that I've seen -- either are a GREAT upgrade over the stock side markers in terms of visibility.
3400 Order Broadcast: 07.01.10
3800 Order Produced: 07.26.10
4000 Available to Ship from Osh: 07.27.10
4200 In Transit from Osh: 07.28.10
4800 Rail Ramp Unload: 08.06.10
5000 Delivered to Dealer: 08.07.10
6000 Delivered to Customer: 08.07.10
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
FL1CK
MOVE!

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Look at the pricing as well...
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Until the price drops considerabley from both companies , I wont even think about this upgrade.$300+ dollars for some side markers is CRAZY.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
I'm not much for the LED sidemarkers or the mirrors.

The side markers seem to look unfinished.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
Until the price drops considerabley from both companies , I wont even think about this upgrade.$300+ dollars for some side markers is CRAZY.

Plus no matter what, they don't look like the concept.
Close but no cigar. But they don't look bad either.
Definitely not worth 300 bones though in my book.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
crewxp

For 180 is it worth it? I pulled the trigger on AAC as showstoppers was a LOT more. Weather delayed my package and I have to wait till the weekend to install.

Won't have my own opinions until I actually install them :/ Just curious.

-Say you guys got them for free, would you change them out? (Concept-like vs stock)
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
For 180 is it worth it? I pulled the trigger on AAC as showstoppers was a LOT more.
For me no. I'd pay 100 bucks top. But I'm cheap I'll admit and super picky. I like the concept side markers, but I want them to be exactly like they are on the concept, which won't happen without body work.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
The stock markers are around $30 each, so...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
AAC's have then in the top 1/3 of the marker.
That is by design, since we developed these markers within the parameters of the original design with a blank slate otherwise we placed the diodes where they would get optimal performance. When we designed the PCB for these markers we made it full-size in order to optimize heat diffusion.

In testing we found that when powering a sealed unit for 45min @12VDC with the LEDs at the uppermost part of the lens the temperature was 20% higher than when we used a full-size PCB and set the LEDs at their current position. Furthermore, when tested @ 18VDC the unit with the LEDs at the top of the lens would have failure within 6min while the unit with the larger PCB and LEDs positioned lower ran for over an hour at 18VDC.

This allowed us to used a higher MCD 3528 SMD to produce more light. this means that all 4 markers are brighter than our original prototype designs. What we ended up with is a brighter marker that is made to last longer than what our original design set out to do.

In summary, we did not just throw this together and say "hey that looks good lets do that" we did real-world testing and made a good quality part that is made to LAST and Perform at a high level while being completely user-friendly and plug-and-play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
I have a set of AAC side markers and have noticed that the fronts are reddish-orange. The Showstopper LED's that I've seen are more yellowish-orange. That is the only substantive difference that I've seen -- either are a GREAT upgrade over the stock side markers in terms of visibility.
That is true, all of our AMBER LEDs run at the same frequency which is a darker colored Orange that, in our research, was more aesthetically pleasing and closer to what FMVSS defines as "AMBER".

PLUS they look killer on IOM

Quote:
Last I checked we sold these for $199... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106337

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
The stock markers are around $30 each, so...
Thanks for making a point Tony, for you guys that say that these should be under $100, the stock markers are $120 a set alone.

EDIT:

Something else we should point out is that we keep hundreds of these sidemarkers IN STOCK and READY TO SHIP, no waiting, no groupbuys, no games.

Last edited by AACstyle; 03-10-2011 at 08:35 AM.
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post

Plus no matter what, they don't look like the concept.
Close but no cigar. But they don't look bad either.
Definitely not worth 300 bones though in my book.
Depends on what you do with your C5....

For us that are car show junkies , every mod counts and gets noticed..... And of the top 5 things on my Camaro that receive positive comments, is the side markers/AAC light products.........

Highly recommend AAC
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post

Last I checked we sold these for $199... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106337

I just checked on your website,and for it to be painted and tinted (aka finished)they cost $360.And I never said they should be under $100,I just said that $360 was CRAZY.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
AACstyle

Quote:
I just checked on your website,and for it to be painted and tinted (aka finished)they cost $360.And I never said they should be under $100,I just said that $360 was CRAZY.
For C5 members we offer 50% off all paint options. This means you can have a set painted and shipped to your door in any color for under $300
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106337

PLUS, the people who *do* buy these are rewarded with the elated feelings of surpassed expectations
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post
Installed my side markers yesterday. They look amazing! Extremely happy with my decision to get them. AAC did a great job. If you're on the fence like I was about purchasing a set of these go ahead and jump on 'em, you will be impressed and pleased. Pictures don't convey what a HUGE difference these make over stock ones. Also was blown away by how bright the LEDs are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Words can not describe these things in person.

After installing them, they looked like they fit in. After reconnecting the battery (was installing other things today too) I turned on the lights and walked around the car to see them...I was speechless. I'm still smiling about how much of an upgrade these things are to the stock lens.

Well worth the money if you guys are on the fence. The line of lights have a white housing (hence the kandy option), but when they turn on, they are a deep amber/orange and a dark cherry red. PICTURES CAN'T DO THESE THINGS JUSTICE. They're so bright and so rich in color it's simply amazing. I can't take pictures of the lights on without them looking salmon and yellow though. You really have to see these things in person to appreciate them fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I don't know how to start. A good way would be to look at my sig.

All of these arrived to me very nicely packed and flawless. AAC, from what I can tell, puts a huge emphasis on presentation and customer service. Each work order has either Jonathan's or Justin's signature/initials on it. That tells me that they hand inspected my package. Who else does that? No one I can think of.

All I can say is LIFETIME WARRANTY. I don't know of any other company that offers this. Not only do they have this warranty, but working with their customer service people is the easiest thing in the whole world. They are the nicest customer service people I have ever dealt with.

To me, it is stuff like this that makes AAC a step above the rest. They honestly care about us. We're not another customer to them. All I can say is that I plan on continuing to buy from them and only them as long as I have my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Mine came in Monday of this week. They were shipped to my permanent billing address, aka my parents house My old man called me up and said they looked awesome! I got to install them today and damn do they look trick! I was worried about the color match at first, but when I saw them in natural light installed on the car they were perfect Best mod I ever did! Well worth the moola. I was on the fence at first, but now I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier. No pics yet since I left my Canon at my apartment. Though this weekend I have a photo assignment and in addition to the job at hand I'll be sneaking some snaps of my Camaro with the sidemarkers to post in this thread. Thanks to AAC for a sweet product and to Justin for helping me with my order
For us, there is no better feeling than surpassing a customers expectations

Last edited by AACstyle; 03-10-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:

Quote:
For C5 members we offer 50% off all paint options. This means you can have a set painted and shipped to your door in any color for under $300
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106337
Indeed, this is true.

BUT... they create unnecessary seams in the body. They look better than stock, but they're not worth $300. I'm sure it was a rigorous process developing this product, but most of us that are interested would only pay that price if someone came out and molded them into the bumpers..... Sorry. I love AAC products, but I have yet to purchase any of them because they're just plain overpriced. The colorshift halo kit for the headlamps and fogs is $450, the afterburners are $200, even just 2-tone white/amber halos+fogs are $300.. It's kind of ridiculous to be honest; which is why I'm just gonna spend a month making them myself. If the prices come down, lemme know.
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkThndr66 View Post
I love AAC products, but I have yet to purchase any of them because they're just plain overpriced. The colorshift halo kit for the headlamps and fogs is $450, the afterburners are $200, even just 2-tone white/amber halos+fogs are $300.. It's kind of ridiculous to be honest; which is why I'm just gonna spend a month making them myself. If the prices come down, lemme know.
First, thank you for your honest feedback

Trust me we are well aware that if we lowered our prices we would easily double our sales. But honestly we could not continue to use high quality parts and decrease our prices. We could sell you something that looks, feels, and smells the same but its sub-par and that will become evident after use. If we used inferior parts we could no longer offer a Lifetime Warranty on all of our products and that is something we pride ourselves on and would simply not be an option.

Again, thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Quote:
First, thank you for your honest feedback

Trust me we are well aware that if we lowered our prices we would easily double our sales. But honestly we could not continue to use high quality parts and decrease our prices. We could sell you something that looks, feels, and smells the same but its sub-par and that will become evident after use. If we used inferior parts we could no longer offer a Lifetime Warranty on all of our products and that is something we pride ourselves on and would simply not be an option.

Again, thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it
I understand the business side of things. Quality is #1; for sure. My problem lies in that I could recreate the side-markers in less than a month with LEDs, and mold it into the bumper while still being able to easily remove & reinstall the unit in case of unforeseen circumstances. And I could do it all for half the price of this unit and it'll actually look like it was meant to be there. Thats my point here. If it's gonna cost me $300 PLUS my time installing and it STILL won't look anything like the concept AND it leaves a putrid looking square outline... it's not worth it. If it was 125 for all 4 unpainted [bc Im gonna have to do bodywork to make it look like it was Originally Inteded to Look...] Then I'd consider it.

Not trying to be an a$$hat here, just being brutally honest.
Team LLT-M6
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
showstopper
Showstopper Accessories

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Just a few pics of ours.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Both look nice and much better then stock. I have, and really like, my AAC smoked.
I don't agree with any of the posts that say either are overpriced. They just don't understand what it takes to bring things like this to the market. I don't like wasting money either but, the price for all these lighting products are fair. I understand some cannot afford them and that is fine but, still not right to complain they are overpriced.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #21
crewxp

Just a fyi, i ended up jumping the gun and went ahead and got them. They look awesome at night! You can always get the kandy option is you want to keep the colors. Cheaper than showstoppers too
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
Both look nice and much better then stock. I have, and really like, my AAC smoked.
I don't agree with any of the posts that say either are overpriced. They just don't understand what it takes to bring things like this to the market. I don't like wasting money either but, the price for all these lighting products are fair. I understand some cannot afford them and that is fine but, still not right to complain they are overpriced.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your AAC Sidemarkers

I have to say that I find it funny that everyone that has these AAC sidemarkers installed says they are worth the money, the only people who think they are overpriced don't actually have them installed
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
finally got my showstopper side markers today. got the cgm with smoked led's. worth every penny. they look awesome and barely even noticeable til they're on. installed in 15 mins.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post
I have plenty of modding cash. I'm building a 96 Cobra right now, while simultaneously doing clay and fiberglass work to get the look I want on it and the Camaro.
I've been creating my own body pieces for 10 years, I'm quite aware of what it takes to develop something like these quality products.

Quote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying your AAC Sidemarkers

I have to say that I find it funny that everyone that has these AAC sidemarkers installed says they are worth the money, the only people who think they are overpriced don't actually have them installed
Absolutely a great point. A way to 'weed out' the people that are offering insight and opinions to your products. As an entrepreneur, I pay very close attention to people with criticism of my work. Outside observers that are removed from the project are a valuable asset to any business person. I am being respectful and offering my opinion on these products. I have seen them in person, they are of quality material, and when installed correctly are bada$$ additions to a Camaro. I just simply believe they can be improved upon, while saving manufacturing money, and giving the customers what they really want. I understand the defense mechanism to defend the products, however I suppose that's why I am doing everything myself. It'll be cooler anyway for it to be 100% custom and unique to my car.
Team LLT-M6
Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Hired Gun
Wild Man

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I am just jealous of those who have them.
2010 Camaro Black with White Stripes, Jannetty Racing Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Long Tube Headers, GMPP Axel Back, Emblem Pros Custom "VOODOO" Under hood Bow tie, Chrome Gill Inserts, HUD plate, Sparks Performance White SS front and rear Plate MPD-1 Spoiler
Hired Gun is offline   Reply With Quote