Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
Painted Door Panel Inserts.

Has anybody painted there door panel inserts? What the ups and downs of that project.


__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Thecarbonfiberspecialists
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Black SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OLMITO, TEXAS
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Has anybody painted there door panel inserts? What the ups and downs of that project.




Diferents options in door inserts from The Carbon Fiber Specilaists









Thecarbonfiberspecialists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
I am more interested in having my painter do a number on them. But sorta need to know how to mask them so the ambient lights still work.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
wmora4

 
wmora4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Worcester MA
Posts: 759
maybe this will help you.!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121719
__________________
wmora4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmora4 View Post
Thx. I am more interested in how they have to be masked for the ambient light to still work.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Darth Martel
Darth Martel
 
Darth Martel's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bizzaroland
Posts: 1,130
Leave it to you guys to answer a question by pimping your stuff. You guys do nice work but, come on man, you guys are constantly spamming threads with your stuff.

Is anybody else annoyed by this???


As for the OP, yes it's been done with great results. The key is prepping the panel. You don't really need to paint the panel either. You could wrap the panel in vinyl or some type of fabric. You have many options. Do a search and you'll see all sorts of stuff pop up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecarbonfiberspecialists View Post
Diferents options in door inserts from The Carbon Fiber Specilaists









Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
All I want to do is have my dash inserts and door panels painted IOM. Really wanted the IOM interior package, but could not live with all that Orange leather.



__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,279
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Leave it to you guys to answer a question by pimping your stuff. You guys do nice work but, come on man, you guys are constantly spamming threads with your stuff.

Is anybody else annoyed by this???


As for the OP, yes it's been done with great results. The key is prepping the panel. You don't really need to paint the panel either. You could wrap the panel in vinyl or some type of fabric. You have many options. Do a search and you'll see all sorts of stuff pop up.
They are a paid sponsor. It is well within their rights. It is funny to me that we have tons of threads about this topic (painted door trim, custom panels etc...) and many other things like doing ABL across the dash etc. Yet we still get new threads started asking the same old questions, and we end up with the inevitable Why? because people don't search, or read through some threads first before asking questions. So who should you be annoyed with? A paid sponsor answering questions with pictures of their products? Or the people who are posting threads with questions already answered?
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,279
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
All I want to do is have my dash inserts and door panels painted IOM. Really wanted the IOM interior package, but could not live with all that Orange leather.



You can buy the IOM factory panels. There are several sponsors in here who can get them for you.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
Noboby gets it! All I want to know is how the door panel is masked, so that the ambient light stills work. I am well aware that I can buy them. I have a very compitent painter and I don't want to spend several hundred $$$ on buying new panels.
__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
They are a paid sponsor. It is well within their rights. It is funny to me that we have tons of threads about this topic (painted door trim, custom panels etc...) and many other things like doing ABL across the dash etc. Yet we still get new threads started asking the same old questions, and we end up with the inevitable Why? because people don't search, or read through some threads first before asking questions. So who should you be annoyed with? A paid sponsor answering questions with pictures of their products? Or the people who are posting threads with questions already answered?
I did do some searching and could not find what I was looking for. I generally try to help people on this site if they have a question. Sorry for this, but I don't need a lecture.

__________________
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,279
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Noboby gets it! All I want to know is how the door panel is masked, so that the ambient light stills work. I am well aware that I can buy them. I have a very compitent painter and I don't want to spend several hundred $$$ on buying new panels.
You original post did not suggest that.. but later you clarify... sorry about that.

If you look along the top of the panels you will see an area that is clear, where there is not paint. Have them mask along that same line and you should be good. I wish we could get clear panels so they can be painted on the inside like the factory. Or at least be able to strip the paint off the inside, and re paint. Ask you painter if they can do that. If they have to sand the paint they may be able to polish the acrylic back to a crystal clear again and paint hte back side for a more finished look.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,279
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
I did do some searching and could not find what I was looking for. I generally try to help people on this site if they have a question. Sorry for this, but I don't need a lecture.


This was not meant to be a lecture to you, just a response to a question asked about sponsors.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Chrome Or Black Billet Side Vent Inserts From $99.95 Seidiedog Exterior Parts & Accessories 0 09-16-2010 06:15 PM
Anybody need some SIM painted ss ground effects? YouseeSS Exterior Parts & Accessories 19 02-22-2010 05:46 PM
Just got my stripes painted. okie2 USA - Southcentral 22 11-16-2009 11:43 AM
painted or factory vinyl stripes Rocky918 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 6 06-13-2009 06:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.