Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
DHSS

Drives: Empty
LG Motorsports Headers w/Magnaflow full 3" competition system

Im not a fan of the neckdown 3" to 2.5" with some of the header/cat(midpipe) systems out there. Is it possible to run the LG Pro headers 1 7/8 with or without cats 3" with the full magnaflow 3" system part no. 16483??? I have a good deal on the Magnaflow system, but I want to run the LG headers. Do they offer their system with just headers and cats w/o the x-pipe?

Thanks,

DH
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
Im not a fan of the neckdown 3" to 2.5" with some of the header/cat(midpipe) systems out there. Is it possible to run the LG Pro headers 1 7/8 with or without cats 3" with the full magnaflow 3" system part no. 16483??? I have a good deal on the Magnaflow system, but I want to run the LG headers. Do they offer their system with just headers and cats w/o the x-pipe?

Thanks,

DH
Yep. We can do that for you.

Let us know if you're interested and I'll get you a quote sir.

Thanks,
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
DHSS

Ive heard with Kooks and ARH that there is a section that will go back to 2.5in before the cat-back, is this true? If so, Do the LG headers do this as well?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Garceeya

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have the kooks and the magnaflow exhaust on my car. I just had my muffler guy put in the hiflo cats and take the 2.5 piece out. Looks awesome and sounds sweet. Let me know if you need someone with experience to do it. Much cheaper than doing LG. I got a great deal so that is why I did it.
Sold 2010 IBM 2SS RS / LG G6X3 Cam / 1 7/8" Kooks headers / Hi-Flo Cats / ADM Cold air / Magnaflow 3" exhaust / UD Pulley / Sam Miller Tune / SAE 481RWHP 441RWTQ / Eibach Pro-kit / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Elite Catch Can / DRL Harness and AAC Plasma bulbs
Garceeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
DHSS

Garceeya,

Can you elaborate on that a little more. Did you completely do away with the pipe from ARH? You lost me there a little bit. When you say he put in the peice, are you saying he installed 3in cats right after the headers and then connected them to your cat-back? Thanks for the help.

DH
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
DHSS

Ivan,

Are the cats and offroad pipes for the LG LT's 3in inlet, 3in outlet?

Thanks,

DH
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
DHSS

All these gains im seeing from LT's and cat-back and CAI has me harder than chinese arithmetic!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Yep. We can do that for you.
I'm assuming you are able to do that by getting just the LTs from LG and then selling the HF Cat, from say KOOKS, that goes from 3"-2.5"?

Or....is LG now selling a HF cat that is 3"-2.5"?

Quote:
Ive heard with Kooks and ARH that there is a section that will go back to 2.5in before the cat-back, is this true? If so, Do the LG headers do this as well?
Yes....unless you buy the KOOKS complete system. Typically when you buy just the LTs with HF cats or an off-road pipe it connection pipe between them will be a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet. That's where it will connect to the cat-back which will usually have a 2.5" inlet even if it's a 3" exhaust.

Now, if you buy a complete kit....for example KOOKS.....thier connection pipe will be 3" in and out. That's because they know you are going to be hooking it up at their 3" cat-back which will have a 3" inlet.

LG was the same way but might have changed by now.

Quote:
All these gains im seeing from LT's and cat-back and CAI has me harder than chinese arithmetic!!!
LTs/Tune/Exhaust change the car dramatically!

Mine went from 370 rwhp to 411 rwhp. That's with 1 3/4" headers. I probably would've been closer to 415 if I had 1 7/8".
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
caverman

Here is an example. When you buy a set of headers with connection pipes (either HF cats or an Off-road pipe) they will usually come as a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet.

That's because they have to assume you might hook it to the factory cat-back......which is a 2.5" exhaust.

Same goes in reverse. When a Mfg makes a cat-back, they have to assume you are going to hook it to the factory connection pipe. Which is 2.5" setup. That's why pretty much all cat-backs, even 3" ones, have a 2.5" inlet....to connect to the factory connection pipe.

Unless.....you buy a complete setup which is headers, connection pipe, cat-back. They usually make those in a 3" all the way through.

Here is a pic of some KOOKS headers from Maryland Speed. Notice the 2 HF cats in the center. One end is 3"...the other 2.5".
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 02-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
The LG HF Cat is a 3" in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garceeya View Post
I have the kooks and the magnaflow exhaust on my car. I just had my muffler guy put in the hiflo cats and take the 2.5 piece out. Looks awesome and sounds sweet. Let me know if you need someone with experience to do it. Much cheaper than doing LG. I got a great deal so that is why I did it.
Exactly sir!

Quote:
Ivan,

Are the cats and offroad pipes for the LG LT's 3in inlet, 3in outlet?

Thanks,

DH
Yessir.

Quote:
LOL...it can be tough sometimes. Worth the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'm assuming you are able to do that by getting just the LTs from LG and then selling the HF Cat, from say KOOKS, that goes from 3"-2.5"?

Or....is LG now selling a HF cat that is 3"-2.5"?

Yes....unless you buy the KOOKS complete system. Typically when you buy just the LTs with HF cats or an off-road pipe it connection pipe between them will be a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet. That's where it will connect to the cat-back which will usually have a 2.5" inlet even if it's a 3" exhaust.

Now, if you buy a complete kit....for example KOOKS.....thier connection pipe will be 3" in and out. That's because they know you are going to be hooking it up at their 3" cat-back which will have a 3" inlet.

LG was the same way but might have changed by now.

LTs/Tune/Exhaust change the car dramatically!

Mine went from 370 rwhp to 411 rwhp. That's with 1 3/4" headers. I probably would've been closer to 415 if I had 1 7/8".
LG isn't selling the 3" in/2.5" with their system. One could however get the headers only and then suppliment with a 3"/2.5" HF Cat from say, Magnaflow and roll out that way.

Quote:
Here is an example. When you buy a set of headers with connection pipes (either HF cats or an Off-road pipe) they will usually come as a 3" inlet and 2.5" outlet.

That's because they have to assume you might hook it to the factory cat-back......which is a 2.5" exhaust.

Same goes in reverse. When a Mfg makes a cat-back, they have to assume you are going to hook it to the factory connection pipe. Which is 2.5" setup. That's way pretty much all cat-backs, even 3" ones, have a 2.5" inlet....to connect to the factory connection pipe.

Unless.....you buy a complete setup which is headers, connection pipe, cat-back. They usually make those in a 3" all the way through.

Here is a pic of some KOOKS headers from Maryland Speed. Notice the 2 HF cats in the center. One end is 3"...the other 2.5".
Caverman-Great pic and thank you for contributing to the thought process here for everyone so that they can see what is meant by 3" in/2.5" out.

Here to help everybody...one Camaro at a time.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
caverman

Quote:

Thanks,

DH

If money wasn't an issue I would go LG complete exhaust. There setup looks and sounds the best IMO.

This could have all changed by now but back when they first came out I was talking with them and they were selling just their header for about $1k. A set of HF cats will be about $350 - $400 or just a connection pipe was about $180. Then to have them ceramic coated was another $275.

So for headers, HF cats, and coating it was going to be close to $1700....that's not even with a cat-back. Then being that they are in TX there is another 8% tax. Same with there complete system....about $2400 + 8% tax + $275 coating. It was just out of my budget.

For a while LG was doing a free install/tune if you bought their complete system. That's a sweet deal but still it was just too much for me.

If you have the money then definately go LG and go through Ivan and at least you can save yourself the tax. Plus he seems to be a stand up guy and an active vendor.

Although I don't have any acutal experience with LG stuff, their headers/cat-back look and sound awesome!

I will throw in one last piece. Don't let the 2.5" inlet on a 3" exhaust bother you. There are plenty of fast Camaros out there running 3" cat-backs that have a 2.5" inlet. The difference in power from the 2.5" vs 3" is going to be extremely minimal unless you are running a bunch of HP. The big difference is really going to come in the sound. The 3" is going to have a deeper rumble over a 2.5".

Keep the Magnaflow since you have it and pick up some Headers and connection pipes. Spend your savings on a good tune.
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 02-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
DHSS

You guys are a big help, I'm stuck between Kooks/cats/3" magnaflow or full 3" LG System. The LG sounds so good, but I've had several Magnaflow systems And I know they don't have a drone and I'm worried about drone with LG.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Check your PM box.
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
DHSS

Quote:
If money wasn't an issue I would go LG complete exhaust. There setup looks and sounds the best IMO.

This could have all changed by now but back when they first came out I was talking with them and they were selling just their header for about $1k. A set of HF cats will be about $350 - $400 or just a connection pipe was about $180. Then to have them ceramic coated was another $275.

So for headers, HF cats, and coating it was going to be close to $1700....that's not even with a cat-back. Then being that they are in TX there is another 8% tax. Same with there complete system....about $2400 + 8% tax + $275 coating. It was just out of my budget.

For a while LG was doing a free install/tune if you bought their complete system. That's a sweet deal but still it was just too much for me.

If you have the money then definately go LG and go through Ivan and at least you can save yourself the tax. Plus he seems to be a stand up guy and an active vendor.

Although I don't have any acutal experience with LG stuff, their headers/cat-back look and sound awesome!

I will throw in one last piece. Don't let the 2.5" inlet on a 3" exhaust bother you. There are plenty of fast Camaros out there running 3" cat-backs that have a 2.5" inlet. The difference in power from the 2.5" vs 3" is going to be extremely minimal unless you are running a bunch of HP. The big difference is really going to come in the sound. The 3" is going to have a deeper rumble over a 2.5".

Keep the Magnaflow since you have it and pick up some Headers and connection pipes. Spend your savings on a good tune.
I love the sound of the full LG system. Im really leaning towards this full system, b/c I plan to do a TVS soon and the 3" all the way back will be good for the extra power.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
caverman

Quote:
I love the sound of the full LG system. Im really leaning towards this full system, b/c I plan to do a TVS soon and the 3" all the way back will be good for the extra power.
I agree....

If it was in my budget then I would've bought it as well. I got a smokin' deal on my setup so I couldn't pass it up.

One thing I might do is look at adding thier mufflers. When the weather gets a little better I might see if they have a used set we could try to fit on my Magnaflow system and see how well they fit/sound.
Build Journal
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Garceeya

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
OrangeChevyII is who did my exhaust work. You can't go wrong with him and you will save a ton of money. Mine sounds wicked.
Sold 2010 IBM 2SS RS / LG G6X3 Cam / 1 7/8" Kooks headers / Hi-Flo Cats / ADM Cold air / Magnaflow 3" exhaust / UD Pulley / Sam Miller Tune / SAE 481RWHP 441RWTQ / Eibach Pro-kit / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Elite Catch Can / DRL Harness and AAC Plasma bulbs
Garceeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Our header system is 3" all the way through.

The only time there would be any neck down would be if you order it for stock mufflers, and then we supply you with a 3" to 2.5" slip on that goes on so even at that none of the pipes are less than 3".

I have used our full system without mufflers and used MagnaFlow muffler only, but I have not tried their 3" cat back full mid section with our headers.

Have any questions, hit me up or Ivan. Always happy to help!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Cambull11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS M6
Anyway to convert the 2.5 cats outlet to 3? I have the 3in magnaflows
Cambull11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=12057
question for anthony..

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUDB07 View Post
Anyway to convert the 2.5 cats outlet to 3? I have the 3in magnaflows
There is almost always a way.....question is, is it worth the money.

You could probably buy some cats that have a 3" inlet and outlet. Then you would need to cut off the front of your Magnaflow and replace it with a 3" inlet.

Unless you have an all out high HP car you're not going to really see any benefit from doing that. You would get a much better return on your money somewhere else.....like suspension parts or something.
Build Journal
Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
yes, good info. here. thanks.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #22
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:

Thanks,

DH
You can get just the headers, headers and off-roads, headers and cats....system to the mufflers, or our full system with muffers. At any rate it is 3" all the way through. The only time there would be a neck down would be using our adapters down to a OE style muffler system.

Ease of Install
We learned a long time ago to make the system work, it needs to be easy for the user to install. So like our Corvette systems we made this as simple of a bolt on as you can get. All of our kits come complete from engine to mufflers or with mufflers and tips included so all you have to do is bolt it onto the car. Fittings slip together for the smoothest connection between pipes. This also makes our cats replaceable in the event of damage or you want to swap to an off-road setup for track use. The only cutting you would have to do, would be removing the stock mufflers if you want to use them with our kit as GM welded the OE system together complete from the manifolds back.

Configurations and Options
We offer our system in one of four different setups.
1. Full system with out cats, without mufflers
2. Full system w/cats and without mufflers
3. Full system w/o cats and w/mufflers
4. Full system w/cats and with mufflers
All systems will come with off-road pipes included at no charge even for cat'd systems. All systems come with clamps, hardware, extensions, and now GM gaskets as well.

Features
  • 1 7/8" Primary size
  • 3" merge collector with fire cone
  • Full 3" mid section
  • 3" high flow Siamese X pipe design
  • Connects to OE or OE replacment mufflers with included 2.5" adapter
  • All wires, hardware, extensions and GM gaskets now included
  • High flow optional 200 cell metal matrix catalytic converters
  • Off-road pipes included no charge on cat'd systems
  • 35+ RWHP GAIN!
  • LifeTime Warranty for original owner

Also a new feature on the Super Pro line is our merge collector with fire cone.

All LG Motorsports header kits are covered for the lifetime to the orginial owner against any defect or issue. Of course damage by accident is not covered.

MUFFLERS
Our LG designed mufflers are fully polished stainless steel. These also a full 3" throughout and end with a 4" double walled slash cut tip. Lightweight and combined with a straight through design give you little back pressure with a deep American V8 sound!

TAKE A LISTEN!

2010 A6 L99 Camaro before and after full LG System and Dyno tune STOCK AIR BOX AND FILTER!

2010 M6 LS3 Camaro before and after full LG System and Dyno Tune

As always, please feel free to ask any questions or comments.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

DHSS,

We have our shop car here, if you want to take a listen to it, your not that far away.