Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #421
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 1970 LS6 Chevelle 2009 ZO6
Very nice!I like it!I may have to park one next to my Z06!
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #422
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
ZL1

Looks great GM. One problem though. I was looking forward to trading my #12120 SS for this car, but if it comes only in 6 speed manual you can keep it. What a let down for auto drivers. Get your act together for the whole GM family. I have 2002 trailblazer,1983 chevrolet c-10 long wheel base truck, 2002 GMC 2500 work truck, 2005 chevrolet 2500HD work truck, 2009 2500 HD work truck, & 2010 chevrolet 2 SS Camaro. Have had in the past 1991 camaro RS, 1993 Z28 camaro, & 1996 Z28 camaro all with auto trannies. I want this car but you will loose my buying power if you dont answer with an auto car in ZL1 form. Thanks for all the past & present autos. Ron Johnson
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #423
Drakedragon1315
Z28 lover!!!

Drives: 1981 Camaro, white. Z clone someday
The video totally made me gizz my pants!
Drakedragon1315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #424
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrettcustoms View Post
Yeh barley any history......just the most powerful and fastest (Still) Camaro GM ever built.

I just wish they would have stuck an LS7 in it, keep the ZL1 true to the 427!
This and the seude are the only two things I do not care for. Otherwise it's killer.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #425
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Edit: I did ask about the weight twice but my question was filtered an ignored..
A question about weight did make it through, and Al responded with a rather insightful message, I think. That mass-reduction was a key point in building the ZL1, and the number would be released a little later, when they know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The 305's in the rear will really help, I don't like the fact that the tire size is staggered but this is meant for drag racing and the 305's will help alot. The staggered tires and heavy nose will most likely cause major oversteer but straight line performance will show.

The wheels got to go, they look out of place on the car. I'm not crazy about staggering the wheels either but it works on the GT500, but its much easier to rotate a LRA than an IRS.

I think the MRC will balance the Camaro out pretty well and honestly, if this car is going to weight what I think it is.. Its a good thing MRC comes with it..
The oversteer should be drastically reduced...remember, it was engineered INTO the vehicle (tires played a part, but there is MUCH more to it than just tire width)...and it can be engineered OUT.

The wheels, imo are absolutely fantastic, but I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The forged aluminum part I think is my favorite "feature".

And don't overplay the weight to much. The CTS-V does great despite its hefty curb weight, and this car should tip the scales at 200-300 lbs less than that car, with beefier tires to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss over this whole thing. First of all..........its beautiful.

However, there is some confusion over the name sharing. I think it could've been handled better. SLP has a double platinum zl1 version out now (albeit high priced), and their established zl 585s are putting out unbelievable performance numbers.

And then we have chevrolet's version of the zl1, with the caddy's lsa. While the lsa's performance in the cadillac is great, it doesn't come near the zl585's performance numbers and its probably hundreds of miles away from slp zl1's numbers. Thus on paper (at the lsa's current rating) it is a bit of a disappointment.

I feel that the only way this car can shine is to be competitively priced to the gt500....that is that it should be priced in the mid to upper 40's and have comparable performance numbers. Anything over 50g and you have to beg the question.....of whether it is worth the price given the existing zl585 that starts at 57.
This car is so much more than what SLP is doing. With respect to them and their great work, their 'ZL' series can't compare. The Magnetic Ride will blow them away, the Dual-mode exhaust is killer...the exterior changes are clearly "factory" versus (imo) SLPs very aftermarket look.

I don't mean to insult the 'ZL' cars...but they aren't a factory Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
Having spent alot of time sitting in the driver's seat, the interior is perfect. There is a reason that Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc. use Alcantara suede in their interiors. It's a performance cloth designed to hold you in place without wear. I wouldn't want this interior any other way....and that steering wheel feels damn good.
Great to have an in-person point of view!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
does anyone think this will be a limited production car?
Not at ALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricioaglr View Post
I am not really feeling the suede steering wheel or dash, I like the suede on the seats. Suede is just not manly for me, im just saying. I also am not feeling the 4 round exhaust tips, in my opinion it looks more bad a$$ with only two exhaust pipes like the current SS without the ground effects. I like everything else alot, and those things I don't like are easily customizable
Suede will "lux up" the interior to the levels many have been begging for, complaining of plastic everywhere. And you can't have the awesome dual-mode exhaust with only two tips. It needs 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannino88 View Post
How much is the base price??
To be Determined later this year. They are seeking to be very competitive with rivals, though. (see GT500).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFCMAC View Post
is nobody wondering how much this new 1 weighs?
i dont want my camaro weighin more than a fat a$$ challenger
not complainin jus sayin that all the c5 weigh alot already and with all the add ons its gotta at least weigh 4000 lbs
I'll say again not to overplay the weight card, too much...with the technology they're putting into the car, you'll NEVER notice versus an SS. In fact...I will be so bold to say that this car may feel lighter on its feet than the SS, or even the LT/LS models.

(And the 'fat a$$' Challenger doesn't come with 550+ hp...)

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #426
stangkilr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS | 2013 Camaro 1LE
Love the interior

Youtube "stangkilr99"
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #427
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
^I wouldn't bet on that post #428. If this car can't beat 3.6 sec to 60 (benefit of the doubt to a published test) and get a quarter mile at mid 11's, then no amount of faux suede, magna silk shocks or trimmings could make up for the performance lag.

This car has to smoke in order to be a hit, and be a bargain to boot. To heck with the trimmings.....

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #428
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Well im going to be 100% honest on this. Im not really liking the car all that much, the name is a hit or miss. I like that its a Z-something lol I stated it over on G8Board.com, where a discussion about this car came up and i said. They should label it a Z-something, like Z28 or whatever. Since it was going to be a high-performance/supercharged camaro. Let it join the other 2 Z cars from Chevy, ZR1 & Z06 and let it be the Z-Series of Chevy. Similar to how BMW has there M-Series & etc.

Performance wise, no complaints!

Appearance wise, the front bumper is a bit "in your face" but in a bad way for me. Just makes the car look even bigger, hood is so-so. I dont hate it but i dont like it either as of right now. The rear i do like, idk why GM didnt give all the 5th Gens a dual-tip exhaust opening, instead of single tips. Spoiler is "ehh", about 95% of the spoilers (including this one) i just dont like and think they look so out of place on these cars. Wheels dont matter, can always change them out but they arent bad. Steering wheel, well i dont really care about that lol

Overall, seems like a good car. GM did pretty good with it, i just dont like certain aspcets of it but hey, i still may get one (depending on the price).
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #429
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Wondering if it's possible to keep the dual exhaust mode with an aftermarket system...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #430
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Hmmmm... well, to.each their own. Guess im glad I didn't wait!

MY pros:
entire rear end rework- dual/dual exhaust, diffuser, spoiler
T3 style front fascia, although the vent lights look a litttle off
The "concept" of dressing up the interior
added performance and bracing

MY cons:
butt ugly interior renovations. Suede??? Really?!?!?!
Equinox/Volt steering wheel? Again-really!?!?!
hood vents- not my thing
price/insurance.

Great for those looking for the performance upgrade over an.already beast of a car, but (especially the interior) cosmetics look like a cheap masking job... glad I ordered my 2SS vert now, and didn't wait till 2012, id be pi$$ed if they put that steering wheel in it!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #431
BlackZCamaro
No 3rd Gen Lovin.

Drives: Seven and counting......
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...58#post1581758

Lol I'm pretty sure I called it almost a year ago.

Promising looking car and numbers, can't wait to get my hands on one.

1967 SS 396/375, 1969 327/350, 1969 427/450, 1970 350/360 LT1, 1971 LT1 FI/?, 2000 383 FI Z28, 2002 1SC Z28.
BlackZCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #432
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflow View Post
Well im going to be 100% honest on this. Im not really liking the car all that much, the name is a hit or miss. I like that its a Z-something lol I stated it over on G8Board.com, where a discussion about this car came up and i said. They should label it a Z-something, like Z28 or whatever. Since it was going to be a high-performance/supercharged camaro. Let it join the other 2 Z cars from Chevy, ZR1 & Z06 and let it be the Z-Series of Chevy. Similar to how BMW has there M-Series & etc.

Performance wise, no complaints!

Appearance wise, the front bumper is a bit "in your face" but in a bad way for me. Just makes the car look even bigger, hood is so-so. I dont hate it but i dont like it either as of right now. The rear i do like, idk why GM didnt give all the 5th Gens a dual-tip exhaust opening, instead of single tips. Spoiler is "ehh", about 95% of the spoilers (including this one) i just dont like and think they look so out of place on these cars. Wheels dont matter, can always change them out but they arent bad. Steering wheel, well i dont really care about that lol

Overall, seems like a good car. GM did pretty good with it, i just dont like certain aspcets of it but hey, i still may get one (depending on the price).

Yeah I have mixed emotions on the overall appearnace as well. I would rather have functinable air ducts where those two daylight/foglights are. I just see it as being too busy looking forme, I kinda like the original look of the SS more in some respects. I like the interior overall better on this car so it's kinda of a trade off overall. I'm just hoping we have alot of options to chose from, along with some unique paint colors just for this model. Overall I give it a thumbs up .
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #433
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
So what are they going to do with teh Z/28 nameplate? Boss 302 equivalent maybe?
I'd be willing to bet we see a Z28 with Chevy's new 5.5 direct injection 440HP engine in the near future that will compete with the Boss 302. I wonder what Motor Trend will find disastrously failing on this one, but I'm sure the guys at Shelby are working up some mods already. I really like the whole car including the steering wheel, and oh, the shifter looks like it came from the C6 Vette.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 02-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #434
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Those wheels sure do look like they are from a similar design as the SSX concept.
those ssx rims look like the new cts-v coupe black wheels. have one in my shop.