Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
New NHRA Rule...BS

Got kicked off the track last night after my 1st pass for running a dismal 11.41 (along with several other cars). Tech informed me that any UNALTERED vehicle, 2008 or newer, can run 10.0/135 mph or slower. All others, without a cage, are limited to 11.5. Even a CAI or tune disqualifies you as an unaltered vehicle. Only tire modifications are allowed.

There should be an exception for cars like ours. I do not believe the mods necessarily make our cars any less safe.....maybe the driver but I've watched several 12 sec cars smack the walls.

No cage for me, guess the strip is now off-limits, which stinks.

Anyone else having the same issue as of late ??
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Mean Green Z28
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 633
didn't know about the unaltered vehicle clause. hmmm.... I used to just do a private rental with friends when I had my old Camaro. hate waiting in line at the local t&t with a bunch of imports who seem to break and oil down track almost every run.

Typing fat fingered on my GS3...excuse any sfelling mitcakes
__________________
2010 2SS - CAI Intake, ADM Scoop, RotoFab Washer relo. X-pipe, Muffler Deletes, ZL1 Spoiler, Technostalgia Tail-lights
'98 T/A (Sold) - Forged 6.0ltr, MS3, P&P'd Heads/Valves, 90MM FAST/TB, Headers, 3" Y-pipe, 4" Mufflex Catback. Koni Adjustables w/GC coilovers (550/175), Strano Sway Bars
'94 Z28 (Sold) ... LS1 swap (basically same setup as the T/A), TH350/3500 stall ... swapped it all into the T/A
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
402
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 74
Rules are rules.

I don't see a problem with them.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
nighttowl
 
nighttowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS / RS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 539
A long time ago it used to be 12.0 or faster gets a cage.
__________________
VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built
 
Mikes fast ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 819
By the list of mods in your sig you are heavily altered.

That rule only applies to cars straight off thr showroom floor.

Rule is not new.
__________________
9.21 @ 149 Slowhawk Performance
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Rules are rules.

I don't see a problem with them.

And they can be impractical and unreasonable as technology changes...something as minor as a pulley swap can make these cars run faster than 11.5. Does not make the car any less safe.
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss View Post
By the list of mods in your sig you are heavily altered.

That rule only applies to cars straight off thr showroom floor.

Rule is not new.
After a year and several "Friday Night Drags", I guess it is newly enforced ?? I thought it was recent. Thanks
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built
 
Mikes fast ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
After a year and several "Friday Night Drags", I guess it is newly enforced ?? I thought it was recent. Thanks
Ah, the enforcement part... that's a whole separate issue. Kinda of joke. Some tracks enforce it others don't. No consistently.

I feel you on that.
__________________
9.21 @ 149 Slowhawk Performance
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Mean Green Z28
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 633
nope, they did change from 12 to 11.5 but they've always enforced it at my local tracks. I was given a warning once and told I could race that night but need a cage if I came back. wasnt that much faster than 11.5 at that time

Typing fat fingered on my GS3...excuse any sfelling mitcakes
__________________
2010 2SS - CAI Intake, ADM Scoop, RotoFab Washer relo. X-pipe, Muffler Deletes, ZL1 Spoiler, Technostalgia Tail-lights
'98 T/A (Sold) - Forged 6.0ltr, MS3, P&P'd Heads/Valves, 90MM FAST/TB, Headers, 3" Y-pipe, 4" Mufflex Catback. Koni Adjustables w/GC coilovers (550/175), Strano Sway Bars
'94 Z28 (Sold) ... LS1 swap (basically same setup as the T/A), TH350/3500 stall ... swapped it all into the T/A
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
402
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
And they can be impractical and unreasonable as technology changes...something as minor as a pulley swap can make these cars run faster than 11.5. Does not make the car any less safe.
Technically it does. With et comes mph, your car was designed to withstand crashes below 50mph give or take. Double that and see how "safe" your car is.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Technically it does. With et comes mph, your car was designed to withstand crashes below 50mph give or take. Double that and see how "safe" your car is.
hmmmm...The "safety" difference between an 11.6 @ 120 mph and 11.4 @ 125 is insignificant....... or my PB, an 11.08 @ 128 for that matter. I don't "buy" your argument.
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
402
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: US
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
hmmmm...The "safety" difference between an 11.6 @ 120 mph and 11.4 @ 125 is insignificant....... or my PB, an 11.08 @ 128 for that matter. I don't "buy" your argument.
My first semtense was just a statememt. You are already doubling what these cars were designed to withstand and that's stock. Rules are in place to keep people safe if the rules didn't achieve that they wouldn't have rules.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
SpeedIsLife
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/ 73 K1500
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
Got kicked off the track last night after my 1st pass for running a dismal 11.41 (along with several other cars). Tech informed me that any UNALTERED vehicle, 2008 or newer, can run 10.0/135 mph or slower. All others, without a cage, are limited to 11.5. Even a CAI or tune disqualifies you as an unaltered vehicle. Only tire modifications are allowed.

There should be an exception for cars like ours. I do not believe the mods necessarily make our cars any less safe.....maybe the driver but I've watched several 12 sec cars smack the walls.

No cage for me, guess the strip is now off-limits, which stinks.

Anyone else having the same issue as of late ??
The reason for this rule and you being forbidden from racing the car until you cage it is because your car was certified from the factory with it's stock safety equipment at the stock power levels. The NHRA is protecting itself, and the track, from lawsuits. They already have given a very large amount of leeway in allowing modified cars to run without additional safety equipment down to 11.5.

By signing the safety form and submitting to a technical inspection you are attesting to the fact that you have read the NHRA rules (which clearly you have not), understand them (which clearly you don't care to) and are consenting to all provisions therein. If you wreck and cause injury to yourself, another racer, spectator, track official, etc because your car had a catastrophic failure due to power levels/ times faster than NHRA regulations stipulate and you concealed it? Lawsuit city, population YOU.

The rules exist for your safety and the other racers, they are not there to ruin your fun.

Do yourself a favor and either cage it (you can get NHRA cert'd cages with removable side bars) or take some of the power out of it so it's slower than 11.49, those are your only two options if you want to race the car.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Mean Green Z28
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 633
... or go really fast until the 1/8 mile and coast to the 1/4

Typing fat fingered on my GS3...excuse any sfelling mitcakes
__________________
2010 2SS - CAI Intake, ADM Scoop, RotoFab Washer relo. X-pipe, Muffler Deletes, ZL1 Spoiler, Technostalgia Tail-lights
'98 T/A (Sold) - Forged 6.0ltr, MS3, P&P'd Heads/Valves, 90MM FAST/TB, Headers, 3" Y-pipe, 4" Mufflex Catback. Koni Adjustables w/GC coilovers (550/175), Strano Sway Bars
'94 Z28 (Sold) ... LS1 swap (basically same setup as the T/A), TH350/3500 stall ... swapped it all into the T/A
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
damian559
 
damian559's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 303
Street
__________________
2015 Summit White 1SS, 1LE, Recaros, NPP
Baseline #'s 396 RWHP 387 RWTQ
Mods to come soon
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built
 
Mikes fast ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The reason for this rule and you being forbidden from racing the car until you cage it is because your car was certified from the factory with it's stock safety equipment at the stock power levels. The NHRA is protecting itself, and the track, from lawsuits. They already have given a very large amount of leeway in allowing modified cars to run without additional safety equipment down to 11.5.

By signing the safety form and submitting to a technical inspection you are attesting to the fact that you have read the NHRA rules (which clearly you have not), understand them (which clearly you don't care to) and are consenting to all provisions therein. If you wreck and cause injury to yourself, another racer, spectator, track official, etc because your car had a catastrophic failure due to power levels/ times faster than NHRA regulations stipulate and you concealed it? Lawsuit city, population YOU.

The rules exist for your safety and the other racers, they are not there to ruin your fun.

Do yourself a favor and either cage it (you can get NHRA cert'd cages with removable side bars) or take some of the power out of it so it's slower than 11.49, those are your only two options if you want to race the car.
The nhra does not cert 5 or 6 point cages.

I'm not sure where some of you come up with this info bit you are misinformed the general public.
__________________
9.21 @ 149 Slowhawk Performance
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The reason for this rule and you being forbidden from racing the car until you cage it is because your car was certified from the factory with it's stock safety equipment at the stock power levels. The NHRA is protecting itself, and the track, from lawsuits. They already have given a very large amount of leeway in allowing modified cars to run without additional safety equipment down to 11.5.

By signing the safety form and submitting to a technical inspection you are attesting to the fact that you have read the NHRA rules (which clearly you have not), understand them (which clearly you don't care to) and are consenting to all provisions therein. If you wreck and cause injury to yourself, another racer, spectator, track official, etc because your car had a catastrophic failure due to power levels/ times faster than NHRA regulations stipulate and you concealed it? Lawsuit city, population YOU.

The rules exist for your safety and the other racers, they are not there to ruin your fun.

Do yourself a favor and either cage it (you can get NHRA cert'd cages with removable sidebars) or take some of the power out of it so it's slower than 11.49, those are your only two options if you want to race the car.
MORE BS.....none of our cars are certified @ 120+ mph
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!

Last edited by AZ-ZL1; 11-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss
 
AZ-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 729
It is what it is....still sucks though
__________________
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built
 
Mikes fast ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
It is what it is....still sucks though
Even if you plan to let off at the 1/8th, there are also roll cage requirements for that as well.

If your track is going to enforce this rule either find another track, put a bar in, or don't race.

You are right, is what it is.

We had to put a bar in a brand new C7. Had no choice.
__________________
9.21 @ 149 Slowhawk Performance
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1, 14 Z/28, Cessna 182T
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
And they can be impractical and unreasonable as technology changes...something as minor as a pulley swap can make these cars run faster than 11.5. Does not make the car any less safe.
I see your point in one way, in that our cars are way safer than many 10 sec cars because of it meeting road safety rules. But YES changing a pulley does make a car more unsafe in that it made it FASTER, so that in its self is what the rule is for. But a car off the showroom running 10s and a car altered running 10s within the same year, then YES that would be the issue if they let one run and not the other, that is not fair. as long as the safety part of the car is not altered.
__________________
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Technically it does. With et comes mph, your car was designed to withstand crashes below 50mph give or take. Double that and see how "safe" your car is.
But that's a moot point, isn't it?

If ~50 mph is the speed at which the car was designed to have a 'safe' crash ("safe" for the occupants), then, technically, 60 mph is "too fast" for a crash. And since most highways have a 65 mph limit, then, by this logic, the cars are not "safe" for highway use at the posted speed limit.

By citing a 'safe crash' speed as the reasoning, you are also defining the broad range of speeds in which the car cannot 'safely' crash, regardless of venue.

While you are 100% correct that as et goes down, we can reasonably expect mph to go up, look at the speed they use as the cut off- 135 mph. Appreciably slower than that is already more than double the cited 'safe' speed you mention of ~50 mph. So this means the strip is perfectly OK with an 'unsafe' crash at 135? Or 110, etc? I doubt it. I think they don't want that crash either. Aside from the injuries, crashes sorta limit their revenue.

I think they have come up with their cut-off- arbitrary or not- through the negative experiences of patrons making the cars faster without considering safety.

It's the old 'one rotten apple spoils the bunch' scenario. One meathead smears himself, and that's that, new rules. All responsible drivers therefore suffer to some degree through the actions of a select group of fools.
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss View Post
Even if you plan to let off at the 1/8th, there are also roll cage requirements for that as well.

If your track is going to enforce this rule either find another track, put a bar in, or don't race.

You are right, is what it is.

We had to put a bar in a brand new C7. Had no choice.
That's really what it comes down to. I would hesitate on installing a roll bar in a street driven car that sees limited track use. I went through that on my 98 TA and decided against it for my Z.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
Mongo RS
 
Mongo RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Eastpointe MI
Posts: 70
There has to be a cutoff point somewhere.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
SpeedIsLife
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/ 73 K1500
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 271
So sorry..I used the word "cert" instead of "NHRA legal"..my bad
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #25
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built
 
Mikes fast ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
So sorry..I used the word "cert" instead of "NHRA legal"..my bad
That's actually a major difference.
I'll be glad to elaborate.

Certified means an NHRA Regional director has physically indirect the cage, 10 point and greater, then you get a tag saying that it has been certified.

Nhra legal means that it's been built to the nhra specs. No cert or nhra inspection required. Each tracks tech dept is supposed to be able to look the bar over.
__________________
9.21 @ 149 Slowhawk Performance
Mikes fast ss is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.