Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Visibility in a ZL1

Coming from a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport, is the driving position visibility in a new ZL1 much worse or relatively similar?

Thanks,
Ken
NYStockboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Balasarius

Drives: 2014 Camaro RS; 2012 Corvette GS CE
It's worse. But not too bad. Depends how tall you are.

The biggest problem I have with the Camaro is when parking I can't tell how close I am to the line on driver's side. I have to open the door and look down. (I get in early, but my parking lot fills up 100%. There are only a few ideal spots and they're often taken when I get in, so I have to park in the middle knowing someone is going to be parked along both sides of me. So I prefer to be closer to the left.)
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
People complain about the visibility a lot and I don't see it (Ha!). I've had no issues getting around tight spots. Granted backing up into a space can be a bit of an ordeal but the back up camera makes it easy for me.

Maybe I'm just wierd.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
DarthZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balasarius View Post
It's worse. But not too bad. Depends how tall you are.

The biggest problem I have with the Camaro is when parking I can't tell how close I am to the line on driver's side. I have to open the door and look down. (I get in early, but my parking lot fills up 100%. There are only a few ideal spots and they're often taken when I get in, so I have to park in the middle knowing someone is going to be parked along both sides of me. So I prefer to be closer to the left.)
Use your side view mirror, if you tilt it down you can see your line up against the curb. Works with the passenger side too!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
all ZL1s have a rearview backup camera, I have never had any issues because of it.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '15 Z/28
ZL1 visibility is way worse initially than a C6 but once you get the mirrors right and trust them, it isn't too bad. Backing up in the Z/28 without a backup cam is a PITA.
'15 Z/28 #325 black a/c & stereo. 2:11 VIR Full 1:45.531 Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit
Stock...for now.
'12 ZL1 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Unsure how a ZL1 is different from my SS re: visibility, but I have never understood this complaint in general. many people say 'can't see out of a camaro'. Um... move your head. It's permitted. I think in the 21st century we are used to cars with exceptional visibility from one driver's position. My '78 Firebird Formula was harder to see out of than my Camaro. I imagine a '69 Corvette is much worse.

I would say the worst visibility from any car I have driven was my '07 Solstice GXP. Top down wasn't so bad unless looking directly behind- you're looking through a valley. Top up, it was a porthole overlooking a valley. But that's what mirrors are for.

You'll be fine with the ZL1 in my opinion. Just be open to using the mirrors correctly. Most people think they are but they really aren't.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #8
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
I went from a base 2012 C6 to my 2015 ZL1. I don't get the visibility issue so many speak of, especially coming from a C6!

I'm 5'7. To me the visibility is a hair better in the ZL1 than in the C6, definitely not worse. Like in the C6, I use my side mirrors. No blind spots.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I'm 5'11' and my mirrors are adjusted correctly, there is an old thread on how they should display properly. Basically if you can see the side of your rear quarter panel in the mirrors they need to go further out. I use the camera to confirm the angle and then use my side mirrors. Years of driving fire apparatus helped with the backing up for me!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: 2015 ZL1
For me, there are two causes of the "It could be better" visibility out of the car and nearly every review of the 5th Gen has been consistent in criticizing the problem.

1) The window height, small back glass, and windshield rake cause a low area of observable view from within the car. If you look at the roof line of the Gen 5 (and it's even a little more pronounced on the Gen 6 Camaro), it looks like it has been 'chopped'. The door windows are not very tall, the belt line of the car is high, and all this adds up to the lines of the car which get a lot of rave reviews. But once you are inside the car, many, many people have complained that it is like being in a WWII pillbox.

2) The wide hips and overall width of the car make it hard to gauge where the car 'is' on the road and especially when backing it. The ZL1 has the camera which helps a lot but out of the rear view window is not much help. It is hard to 'feel' where the exterior edges of the car are when you are driving it.

I test drove the car before I bought so I knew what I was getting. And for me, the pros far outweighed the cons. These are just things that are distracting for me but maybe not so much for others.

I drove semi tractor-trailer rigs for a few years hauling liquid CO2 so I'm familiar with how to back something. Yet for me, it is still hard getting my ZL1 backed in straight into my garage and as close to the side as I want even with the camera. It is just hard to 'feel' or gauge the edges of the car.
2015 ZL1 Coupe #654
Black/Black 6-speed

Last edited by Raven87; 05-19-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Raven87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Never had an issue in our ZL1. I always hated how the vette's rear glass distorted your view.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
NYStockboy

I am mainly concerned with the view out the passenger side rear quarter. The Corvette has a wrap around rear window combined with a very slender passenger side rear quarter, so the view is pretty good. The rear window on the ZL1 does not have the wrap around feature and its rear quarter is much thicker. Yes, I can depend on the side view mirrors set correctly, but I am curious if what I have described is somewhat uncomfortable for owners, at least initially. My ZL1 is now in transit so I am thinking about this. I only test drove a different Camaro for a short time.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStockboy View Post
I am mainly concerned with the view out the passenger side rear quarter. The Corvette has a wrap around rear window combined with a very slender passenger side rear quarter, so the view is pretty good. The rear window on the ZL1 does not have the wrap around feature and its rear quarter is much thicker. Yes, I can depend on the side view mirrors set correctly, but I am curious if what I have described is somewhat uncomfortable for owners, at least initially. My ZL1 is now in transit so I am thinking about this. I only test drove a different Camaro for a short time.

Thanks,
Ken
This window is, admittedly, a bitch. On the outside it looks big but in reality, much of the "window" is actually black.

I had a rude shock one day when somebody moved my passenger seat back and I was 100% blind there. I had to move my body considerably forward and leaned to the right to see what was in that quadrant.

Now I am very careful about where that passenger seat is, passenger on board or not, I make certain the seat does not block that window.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
This window is, admittedly, a bitch. On the outside it looks big but in reality, much of the "window" is actually black.

I had a rude shock one day when somebody moved my passenger seat back and I was 100% blind there. I had to move my body considerably forward and leaned to the right to see what was in that quadrant.

Now I am very careful about where that passenger seat is, passenger on board or not, I make certain the seat does not block that window.
^^^This^^^
2015 ZL1 Coupe #654
Black/Black 6-speed
Raven87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Unsure how a ZL1 is different from my SS re: visibility, but I have never understood this complaint in general. many people say 'can't see out of a camaro'. Um... move your head. It's permitted. I think in the 21st century we are used to cars with exceptional visibility from one driver's position. My '78 Firebird Formula was harder to see out of than my Camaro. I imagine a '69 Corvette is much worse.

I would say the worst visibility from any car I have driven was my '07 Solstice GXP. Top down wasn't so bad unless looking directly behind- you're looking through a valley. Top up, it was a porthole overlooking a valley. But that's what mirrors are for.

You'll be fine with the ZL1 in my opinion. Just be open to using the mirrors correctly. Most people think they are but they really aren't.
are you in the mirrors buissness ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
TommyTheCat
SLWMARO ☪

Drives: 2013 Camaro
You get used to the big hood and then you're fine. I've never had a hard time parking or driving but other people have complained when first getting in the driver's seat that they can hardly see in front of them, but I assume they're talking about immediately in front of the car which of course is blocked. Or they don't know how to raise the seat?
In my friends C06 the visibility was worse for all around but you could probably see further down than the Camaro
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
NYStockboy

Ah, Screw it! I am not going to take delivery of the ZL1 and I am going to buy a Nissan Cube.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #18
rebelyell22
v1, rotate

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Ah, Screw it! I am not going to take delivery of the ZL1 and I am going to buy a Nissan Cube.

Thanks,
Ken
Well then you have a shit car with shit visibility lol.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You betcha. Are you in the Bad At Trolling business?

Three days to Memorial Day weekend bro. You can handle it.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #20
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:

Thanks,
Ken
You're funny! You're going to love your ZL1. Like was said, ensure passenger seat isn't in way of that little rear right window, and yes, you can see cars there! I NEVER feel unsure of moving into the right lane in heavy traffic.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
In truth, if you are a "good driver," rear visibility isn't an issue. ...and I'll explain.

First, have the passenger seat a bit further back (to where it's in line with the b-pillar). If someone is in that seat, no problem.

Because second, if you need to get over and aren't sure if someone's there, use the gas peddle (yeah...that's right). Needless to say, when you lurch forward, that car that could be in your blind spot is now in your side mirror. Turning your head to look doesn't hurt either.

Third, you have side mirrors and as long as they are positioned correctly, you can see pretty much anything.

For backing up, you have that rear view camera. While you can not rely on that alone, mirrors and the camera combined have never caused me an issue.

Most importantly is this>

ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

If you are always aware of your surroundings, you should have no worries about blind spots because you will already have been watching your rear view mirror. You should know if someone was coming up behind you. You should know if @sshole has been riding in your blind spot being a moron. You should know the people you just passed, how fast your speed is in relation to their speed, where they should be now that you want to get over, and should be able to see them in your mirrors once you do decide to get over.

Blind spots have only been an issue for me ONCE.

I was on the highway exiting. The access road (feeder road...some of y'all don't have them in other states...we always get these comments from out of town people here)...but the access road runs alongside the highway. The people on the access road need to yield and their speed limit is usually 20 to 25mph slower than the highway. When I exit, I usually go a little faster than the posted access road speed limit as I KNOW the people on the access road should be going a good 25mph slower. Well, I was exiting and dipshit on the access road was going about 75...a good 30mph OVER the speed limit. So he was behind me and to my right rapidly approaching. I exited and began to get over to the right lane to get into the gas station and he NEVER YIELDED to the exiting traffic as law says he's supposed to do. Nope...never saw him, nearly clipped him, he slammed on his brakes and honked and all I wanted to do was punch him in the nuts. He WOULD have been at fault if there was a crash as he should have yielded but he didn't AND was speeding well over.

That was my ONE bad experience with blind spots in this car. You can't always help what other people do, but you can always be on the offensive waiting for idiots like that guy.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
I am. I look in them every day and say, "HOT DAMN! Look at that sexy beast!"

Then I get dressed, go to my car, and go to work....

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote