Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #141
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't think GM's ever done that...at least not lately...
yes they did.. in 2002 4th gen.long time ago! when i ordered my trans am ws6. both the camaro SS& trans am+vert, had auto trans std and manual 6 speeds as optional. in selecting the 6 speed it came with hurst shifter.
the formula came with manual.el cheapo firebird came with the auto.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #142
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Absolutely offer an automatic GM! I'm a manual-only guy, but why lose the automatic-only potential customer?
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #143
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst equipped View Post
yes they did.. in 2002 4th gen.long time ago! when i ordered my trans am ws6. both the camaro SS& trans am+vert, had auto trans std and manual 6 speeds as optional. in selecting the 6 speed it came with hurst shifter.
the formula came with manual.el cheapo firebird came with the auto.
huh....the hurst-shifter I guess makes....some sense to charge extra. And maybe the 4-speed auto was about the same price as the 6-speed manual back then?

I know the 4-speed auto in the Cobalt was only about a $400 upcharge from the 'lowly' 5-speed manual...but the 6-speed automatics they're using across the board seem to be $900-$1200 more than their fellow manuals.

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #144
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
I think it's interesting that GM does not charge extra for the automatic option on the CTS-V. Maybe there is hope that it would be available as a no cost option or at least not very expensive for the ZL1. If i'm not mistaken the auto on a 2LT like mine is something like $1100.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #145
camarosss

Drives: Berger80,02CPE,67SSRS, 12 ZL1 #1342
Auto NO!

I say NO but it would open up the market for potential buyers. IMO there is no such thing as an automatic ZL1. I personally would turn away from it at a show just for that one reason.

1967 RS/SS 468 18s/20s
2002 Berger #80
2002 SS A4 RED/BLK 19s
2002 Tahoe Z71 BLK 23s For Sale
2009 Tahoe LTZ BLK 26s
2012 ZL1 #1342
2014 Z/28 #225
camarosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #146
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosss View Post
I say NO but it would open up the market for potential buyers. IMO there is no such thing as an automatic ZL1. I personally would turn away from it at a show just for that one reason.
It's sad to see that there are so many people that are so closed minded and stuck in the past.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #147
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
It's sad to see that there are so many people that are so closed minded and stuck in the past.
Yes. Those same people probably don't see the value in EFI, IRS, and all the rest of the technology that makes the 5th Gen such a great car. OH WELL. Everyone's got an opinion.
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #148
Tie Rod

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
WHY NO....

I don't understand why there will be no Automatic for the ZL1. I know the Caddy only had a stick for awhile but did come out with a automatic later on. The big problem is the wife wants to drive and that is something I have tried to teach her but no luck!! Can't get rid of her been together to long. So I have to wait until a automatic comes out or put one in myself.
Does anyone have the same problem?
Tie Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #149
shank0668

Drives: 2000 WS6
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
They are still developing it, I would be willing to bet there will be an automatic offered when production starts.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #150
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
They are still developing it, I would be willing to bet there will be an automatic offered when production starts.
If they see there's support for it, they'll add it. I seriously thought there would've been one already in the works, but, hey - you just never know. The competition does well enough without a slushbox, so...
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #151
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
huh....the hurst-shifter I guess makes....some sense to charge extra. And maybe the 4-speed auto was about the same price as the 6-speed manual back then?

I know the 4-speed auto in the Cobalt was only about a $400 upcharge from the 'lowly' 5-speed manual...but the 6-speed automatics they're using across the board seem to be $900-$1200 more than their fellow manuals.
at the time the option was 440$cdn for the 6 speed. the automatics were standard & was included in the price at no cost.

pretty shure if gm came with an auto for the ZL1 it will cost like you mentionned $900+ and maybe tops at 1400 that would be alot..

maybe the question in the forum should be; how much you are willing to pay for an automatic?? maybe some guys will row some gears to save $$!!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #152
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My neighbor blew me away yesterday. (maybe the day before)

But he came over and asked me a million questions about the car and said he was looking at getting one. He said he heard the Z-28 was coming out and he would love the power with a warranty. (told me once again that he thought I was crazier than shit, I started tearing my car apart in the garage as soon as I got it )

I had no idea he would even be in to a car like this.

So I told him all about the ZL1 and he was totaly cool with checking it out. (How cool would that be? I could race mine against his and see who wins)

We were talking about all rumors leading up to now and when I told him about the tranny he was bummed. NO WAY could he get the stick. His wife, who interestingly enough seems to be more interested than him in this stuff, can not drive a stick.

Now I did my due diligence, while she was out there, in telling her she could learn in no time, but she wasn't even gonna try. The car would be his, but she has to be able to drive it.

He shifted the conversation directly to the 2011 BMW M3 as it does have true paddles and a full automated mode. He already knew that. So because it's the hot topic here on C5, I decided to ask him straight up. Would he honestly consider getting the ZL1 if it has an auto option. He said it legitimately would be between that and the M3. He said he had googled the Z-28 and liked what he saw........ apperently he had seen the ZL1 and just figured Z-28, he described soem of the reveal pics........ and so I tried to 'Sell' him a ZL1 then and there, , but I told him there would be no auto tranny at least the first year. He said he was buying when his car was paid off next June and could trade a little early but wouldn't wait any longer.

So I listened to a bunch of talk about the BMW and tried to stay interested but there wasn't much I really gave a damn about. I did learn a little about the M3 though.

And Bonnie needs a 4 door.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #153
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The closer I look at ZL1, the MORE I WANT IT! I'd happily pay to have the steering wheel swapped out.

They need to provide an A6.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #154
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
I think it's interesting that GM does not charge extra for the automatic option on the CTS-V.
Cadillac does charge extra for an automatic. It's $1300 on a CTS-V...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst equipped View Post
maybe the question in the forum should be; how much you are willing to pay for an automatic?? maybe some guys will row some gears to save $$!!
I'd expect it to be a $1200 option like the SSs. Espcially since it's a beefier unit.

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote