Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #26
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
If my wife could drive it....it'll be an easier sell,yes on the Auto.
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
javol

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS RS
Absolutely YES!!

Possibly, a double cluth tranny with stilish paddle shifters .

That's the future of the car world
javol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If they do offer an automatic, they better not put any active fuel management stuff on it like they did with the automatic SS. Same Supercharged LSA engine in both the manual and automatic would be perfect.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #29
Firehawk

Drives: 2001 Firehawk Trans Am
Yes ...definitely!
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
If they do offer an automatic, they better not put any active fuel management stuff on it like they did with the automatic SS. Same Supercharged LSA engine in both the manual and automatic would be perfect.
I agree it should be the same LSA engine in both. If they can put a fuel saver option that can be easily turned off then cool but if not I don't really care.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #31
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6 - ABM
Yes, absolutely.

Who cares if it's offered with an automatic? Who is going to lose sleep at night because, oh no, not every ZL1 out there has a stick in it? Worry about your own car and your options the way you want them, and let the other guy get his car his way, not your way. In spite of how powerful the ZL1 sill be and how good automatics are these days, yes I'm sure some GT500-driving a-hole may see an automatic and laugh, right up until you blow past him with computer-shifting awesomeness. Who's laughing then?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #32
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
I vote no. I see the car as a true race car/track car and to me if they make it with the auto it will just detract from the essence of the car. But really I could care less either way, I won't be buying one.
Well then they should take the AC, power seats, back seats and all out too.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
No way. Why kill the fun. GT500 owners would laugh at you.
I have an automatic in my SS now. Not had one GT500 owner laugh yet as I have passed ALL their asses. I VOTE YES.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #34
Orbit Orange

Drives: '04 Pontiac GTO & '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Yes!!!
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #35
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010 2LT RY, 2014 Silverado
Yes. Contribute to all...

And I think after the Q/A yesterday, so many people asking about it, they guys responded on how it may be a possibility with so many asking about. Still a year left!

Hypertech | Airaid | JBA Exhaust | RX Catch Can/CNC TB/Black Ice-Olator | Ported Intake/Heads | 1LE Brembos | F14's | RS Headlights | ZL1 Grille
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
Yes!!!
Welcome to the site. Stick around for a while. In the mean time you can learn a ton about the car that could be taking the place of those question marks in your sig.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #37
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I love driving standard, but now as I get a bit older, I like the option of just being able to cruise in auto.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #38
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
With good paddle shifters I would maybe consider going auto, otherwise manual works as well for me. I voted for the option so those who like it can be satisfied too.

To each his own - Camaro.

Ya know what, driving this beast manually will be so fun.

Can't wait.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #39
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Should be an option. No sense in not including one. My pops wants to buy something like a GT500, but he's blown out his left acl twice and can't have a stick.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #40
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
We may be a 2 camaro family if an auto is offered. My wife wants one but can not drive a stick.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #41
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
You really have to wonder why some guys don't even want it as an option, I guess they might feel bad that the A6 guys might be faster and have more consistent times, HMMM remind you of anything?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #42
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
I don't know that I would buy one but I do think they should make it an available option for buyers. I have bad knees and I don't know how much longer I can take driving a manual in Dallas traffic. So, an automatic might be my next purchase.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #43
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
if i could afford it i would go for the manual more fun and you have full control but with how good the autos are now it be great to offer it seeing how in the ss they run faster 1/4 mils times
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #44
Orbit Orange

Drives: '04 Pontiac GTO & '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Welcome to the site. Stick around for a while. In the mean time you can learn a ton about the car that could be taking the place of those question marks in your sig.
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for quite some time while being more active on some GTO and G8 sites. I would say that an auto ZL1 would be in ADDITION to the cars in my sig.

I have visions of buying a lightly used auto ZL1, swapping the pulley with a tune, doing a higher stall converter with some DR's or slicks and running some 10's down the quarter. It's good to dream.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
YES. It totally includes the wife in the package. Otherwise, it's just excluding half the decision makers.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
GoodTimes

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Grand Am GT
Yes please!
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #47
DevilKnightFalcon

Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Well the decision here seems pretty clear. I'm not psychic and don't have any insider knowledge but I think you can bank on GM offering an automatic ZL1.

Think about this, how many Corvettes do you see driving around and how many GT500 Mustangs do you see driving around? The cost of a base C6 is pretty close to the cost of a GT500 but far more people buy Corvettes. I can only speak for Arizona but I see Corvettes daily...I can't remember the last time I saw a GT500 on the road. There are two reasons for that: the GT500 doesn't have a setup that makes it useable for daily driving and Ford doesn't offer an automatic. With the ZL1 GM has created a car that is easily usable for daily driving. If they offer it with an automatic then not only will they beat the GT500 performance wise but they will absolutely destroy it in sales numbers.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Well the decision here seems pretty clear. I'm not psychic and don't have any insider knowledge but I think you can bank on GM offering an automatic ZL1.

Think about this, how many Corvettes do you see driving around and how many GT500 Mustangs do you see driving around? The cost of a base C6 is pretty close to the cost of a GT500 but far more people buy Corvettes. I can only speak for Arizona but I see Corvettes daily...I can't remember the last time I saw a GT500 on the road. There are two reasons for that: the GT500 doesn't have a setup that makes it useable for daily driving and Ford doesn't offer an automatic. With the ZL1 GM has created a car that is easily usable for daily driving. If they offer it with an automatic then not only will they beat the GT500 performance wise but they will absolutely destroy it in sales numbers.
But this is the NEW GM.... remember....

And I'm not sure those numbers are accurately reflected. Though it's nearly 2 to 1 in favor of the auto, I think, OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY BUY A ZL1, many of the auto guys would go with a manual if it were the only choice. They can drive one, they just prefer not to. Some it would be a deal breaker for, but so be it. Though I see better cars being made, as far as outward operation, I don't see much difference in method.

To get a more acurate idea of how an auto would sell, you'd need to poll people who would and could buy a ZL1. I'm in that category, but I already got my car and refuse to trade up. Mine is as fast and a few more dollars I can throw some more suspension on there. This thing won't sell as well as hoped.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #49
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro54 View Post
I have an automatic in my SS now. Not had one GT500 owner laugh yet as I have passed ALL their asses. I VOTE YES.
Putting your foot to the floor and keeping the wheel straight isn't exactly being 'involved'. Yeah, you're fast, but without having to apply the appropriate gear to the right situation removes a level of driver participation.

There's nothing wrong with that. But I need that involvement, or I may as well drive a Focus and save $25K for women and booze.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #50
DevilKnightFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But this is the NEW GM.... remember....

And I'm not sure those numbers are accurately reflected. Though it's nearly 2 to 1 in favor of the auto, I think, OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY BUY A ZL1, many of the auto guys would go with a manual if it were the only choice. They can drive one, they just prefer not to. Some it would be a deal breaker for, but so be it. Though I see better cars being made, as far as outward operation, I don't see much difference in method.

To get a more acurate idea of how an auto would sell, you'd need to poll people who would and could buy a ZL1. I'm in that category, but I already got my car and refuse to trade up. Mine is as fast and a few more dollars I can throw some more suspension on there. This thing won't sell as well as hoped.
Seems like you don't have a lot of faith in the new GM. The new GM wants to sell cars and in order to sell the most vehicles they need to offer an automatic transmission. Once again I reference the number of Corvettes on the road vs. the number of GT500 Mustangs. If they price this car right and offer an automatic transmission I can see this being a huge success as far as sales. You have to realize that offering a manual only car eliminates a huge segment of potential buyers. If you read through the responses on here you will find that many of those who have voted yes have said that they will purchase the car if an automatic is offered (I am one of them).

Of course this car will not sell the same numbers as the lower end models but you have to judge it's success on it's own. I believe whole heartedly that (especially if offered with an automatic transmission) this car will outsell the GT500 by a significant margin. In my opinion the most interesting stat will be if it can sell more than the base model C6 Corvette.

Oh and btw...in the words of fbodfather...you should "have faith"