Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #766
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
SLR McLaren, may have been the fastest production automatic car with a traditional automatic, no manual option.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #767
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2008 Sky Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Wrong.

This car is basically going to be a Camaro with Cadillac CTS-V driveline and a better suspension. The CTS-V auto ran the 'Ring faster than the manual.

Aside from the 'macho-ness' or whatever BS you want to attribute to a manual gearshift, the auto is the better transmission in every performance aspect.

And then this crap about "Oh you are letting a robot drive your car if it's auto," or, "Oh that doesn't let you have true control over a car." Get over yourselves. Go out to your car, and pull out the wires for your ABS and the Traction and Stability controls. You may as well disconnect the fuel injection too and slap on a 4 barrel carb. Oh wait, a 4 barrel might be too high tech, better just go 2 barrel.

Technology advances, it is Ludditic to try and ignore that for the sake of some kind of nostalgia.

Better is better. I am not going to sink this kind of money into getting a faster version of the car and then avoid an option that could make it even faster. That's the point of this car, to be the fastest, best performing car around, and if an auto is what does that, then sign me up.
Well said!!
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #768
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
After all thats been said. I still want the auto. Most guys around here cant drive a stick any way so i am always on top off the line. You have to catch me.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #769
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Syncronisers? You guys talk about being a manly man and your cars all have syncros to help you shift. Pretentious is how I'd describe you.
Possibly. But it's red light to red light that you beat the Mustang. NOT in the twisties. Unless you are incredibly irresponsible. So, yes. For the most part, to me anyway, this car was made for the drag strip. If I want to really get into the road course, I'll buy a Vette.
I want dog gears.. they had dog gears and straight cut gears for my last car but I didnt have the money to get.. shifting without clutch would be nice..
though rev matching blipping throttle on down shift might get annoying
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #770
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
though rev matching blipping throttle on down shift might get annoying
Actually, it does.

Much slower too. Which is my point. Syncronizers made for faster, smoother shifts and yet it is ignored as a major techno event for a manual tranny. It can be argued that syncronizers are as 'sissy' as an auto. Just makes me laugh to here guys talk the smack when they don't even realize it's been made easy for them by nannies.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #771
dove92

Drives: 1991 ford explorer
Quote:
Actually, it does.

Much slower too. Which is my point. Syncronizers made for faster, smoother shifts and yet it is ignored as a major techno event for a manual tranny. It can be argued that syncronizers are as 'sissy' as an auto. Just makes me laugh to here guys talk the smack when they don't even realize it's been made easy for them by nannies.
I dont understand why people cant be happy with both transmissions. I also think its funny that all these guys talking smack about autos, havent said a word after you brought up syncronizers. i say to each his own, we can all still have fun
dove92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #772
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
I really like how the auto transmission will blip the throttle on down shifts when you get on the brakes entering a corner on a road coarse when you have the shifter in sport mode. This was fun hearing the car do what trained professional drivers do so well with manuals and the camaro can do it in sport mode to help you set up the car in the proper gear.

I just really like driving the camaro in sport mode all the time, it just seems to respond so much better.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #773
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove92 View Post
I dont understand why people cant be happy with both transmissions. I also think its funny that all these guys talking smack about autos, havent said a word after you brought up syncronizers. i say to each his own, we can all still have fun
I am waiting for the manuals that you only need clutch for first gear take off and rest just shifter in and out of gears..
They have it in race cars.. has special shifter setup for it..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #774
dove92

Drives: 1991 ford explorer
Quote:
I am waiting for the manuals that you only need clutch for first gear take off and rest just shifter in and out of gears..
thats going to be almost pointless to just move the stick effortlessly back and forth.
dove92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #775
GQ4Life

Quote:
thats going to be almost pointless to just move the stick effortlessly back and forth.
Yea an auto where you still use shifter & selector your gears.. haha
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #776
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I really like how the auto transmission will blip the throttle on down shifts when you get on the brakes entering a corner on a road coarse when you have the shifter in sport mode. This was fun hearing the car do what trained professional drivers do so well with manuals and the camaro can do it in sport mode to help you set up the car in the proper gear.
I didn't know it did.

Quote:
It's just an interesting thing I notice. I mean, if you go back far enough, we are all sissies for having AC or a Radio in the car. Any advancement could be criticized. From shocks and other suspension impovements (Magnetic ride) to IRS to fuel injection. Manual guy doesn't have a problem with all of those. They make the car faster. So does the auto tranny.

A manual is still funner, but the auto is just faster for my application. And in bumper to bumper traffic, even manly manual guy would like to take a break sometimes. I know I did.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #777
GQ4Life

Quote:
I didn't know it did.

It's just an interesting thing I notice. I mean, if you go back far enough, we are all sissies for having AC or a Radio in the car. Any advancement could be criticized. From shocks and other suspension impovements (Magnetic ride) to IRS to fuel injection. Manual guy doesn't have a problem with all of those. They make the car faster. So does the auto tranny.

A manual is still funner, but the auto is just faster for my application. And in bumper to bumper traffic, even manly manual guy would like to take a break sometimes. I know I did.
Not that I need break but I get annoyed when they going slower then I can go without riding clutch like 3 mph..
I usually sit there wait for a gap to form then just roll at idle in first till I catch up. Sometime people behind me get annoyed.. Really where we going in a hurry when traffic doing 3mph LoL
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #778
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Aftermarket?

Quote:
Well, it's no different than using the paddles. It's all personal experience. I mean I enjoy driving a manual from time to time.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #779
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Not that I need break but I get annoyed when they going slower then I can go without riding clutch like 3 mph..
I usually sit there wait for a gap to form then just roll at idle in first till I catch up. Sometime people behind me get annoyed.. Really where we going in a hurry when traffic doing 3mph LoL

Try doing it in an 18 wheeler. REALLY sucks. hahaha
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #780
GQ4Life

Quote:
Aftermarket?

Well, it's no different than using the paddles. It's all personal experience. I mean I enjoy driving a manual from time to time.
Well it is custom. I seen it once in a show and they explained it but not sure how it all worked.. it was awhile ago.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #781
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Yup. Different flavors...

IMO...what this 'argument' tends to boil down to is self-esteem issues. I can't think of a single logical explanation for ostracizing "automatic people"...it's all ridiculous. Those with real, foundational problems with "the slushbox" either A, don't understand that it it not the automatic of the 50s....or B, need something to feel good about themselves, and they picked this.

It sounds cold, and I'm NOT directing any of my comments at anyone...but let me tell ya' -- time and time again, I notice the same two things...

automatic or manual...pick what you like.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #782
Johnvnm112

Drives: 2009 silverado 4x4
Question Automatic for sure.

I would love to have an automatic. Its the only way I will buy the zl1. Also do you know anything about a possible navigation system. The challenger n the mustang offer a nav. Please find out!
Johnvnm112 is offline   Reply With Quote