Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #631
JKBUMBLEBEE
TEAM LLT ! NY5thGEN

Drives: 2011 3.6L V6 328HP Camaro
NO IT SHOULDNT!! a car like that should not be in the hands of some everyday driver that doesnt know how to drive the damn car to its potential
JKBUMBLEBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #632
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
I dont want it to be a auto because then everyone and their grandmother is going to
own one.
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #633
BlwnSS
i like carz

Drives: 99 Formula,85 Trans Am,04 Monte
Hell yeah with the auto trans , drag racers will want an auto and old farts too . But seriously offer the auto for people who want to drag race .
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #634
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
Reason my dad went with auto. Bad arthritis he didnt want to be slamming on clutch and banging gears on drag strip..
But seeing that other guys post..there are people disabled that should have same availability to have a car. Im in military I know people missing legs and arms.. why should they be stuck having to buy a civic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post
^This.

Everyone who says your a panzy,an embarassment, or a crappy driver for having an auto, can quite frankly STFU.

What about our guys coming back from the desert, with only one leg?

What about someone who has been paralyzed?

So its not there right to have the opportunity to own one of these cars, all because it "takes away from the spirit of the car"??
Everyone has a right to own whatever car they want first off, and secondly, If anyone on here turned to a paralyzed arms service man driving an auto and called him a pansy for it, I'd be the first one to kick their @$$...

I think your talking the rarity here, and if I'm wrong (aka theres enough of these people with special needs to make the investment in autos worth it) then by all means do it. I don't think any of the "real drivers drive stick" people on here are in any way looking down at people with physical limitations. Years ago when I was in college I remember researching and learning about manual to auto "conversion kits"- not using an automatic transmission, but having a steering wheel mounted clutch button and shift controller for sticks.

Quite frankly I think our society puts too much emphasis on the rare scenarios, the "well everyone should be able to" situations, the "why nots". I'd rather see 10k more ZL1s on the road because the price is 8k lower on each one, than cater to 12 people who would otherwise not be able to buy it but could easily have a car with MORE performance by modifying an SS, or converting a stick to auto... (for still cheaper or the same price as the auto would have been to start with)

There are trade offs with every situation- R&D efforts switched from engine or other parts to transmission, new costs added in production and design, and time delays. I would venture to guess that if a SS tranny bolted right up to the ZL1 and worked perfectly, with negligable costs attributed to it, they wouldn't have even raised the question.

With all that being said, I much prefer the V6 driver with a stick's argument for owning a V6 over the V8 driver with a auto's argument for owning an auto. I KNOW i'm not the only person that thinks that way either because I hear it multiple times a week for the last several years.... and I have just as much right to have that opinion as anyone else does to have a different opinion.

How often do I hear people bash the 700 HP Civics that can smoke most of our Camaro's just because its a "civic"?

Once again however I assure you no one on here is bashing your grandpa who can't operate a clutch because of his medical issues, a soldier returning from war one leg short, or the few hardcore drag racers who prefer an auto...
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #635
floridacamaro91

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT RS, 08 3.6 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Alright guys in the online chat (full transcript) the guys from GM said they are interested in knowing if there is interest in an automatic option for the ZL1. I know I personally desperately want them to make an automatic option and if they do please put some higher quality paddle shifters on it!

So the question is. Do you want to see an automatic option on the ZL1?

Edit:
Now here is the important part. At C5 Fest I talked with John Fitzpatrick who was already aware of the poll and he told me that if I got it to 1,000 total responses then he would give a final answer about the transmission.
+1 on the automatic with better (or actual) shift pedals. A good automated manual would be the best option ...
floridacamaro91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #636
bayouboy
Tony

Drives: Cyber Gray '11 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to bayouboy
You can't drive a car like this on the road to it's potential legally. So why not let everyone be able to drive one. You only get the full effects on a race track. So let the people that can drive go there.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #637
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore68 View Post
I'm surprised we're not having the opposite discussion: should a manual be available on the ZL-1? Since most Corvettes sold are automatics and by far most passenger cars
Isn't that one of the reasons most people I know look down at vette owners and always throw out comments about having to compensate for something? Growing up I used to want a corvette but people around me made fun of vette owners for being rich pricks who didn't know how to drive and were just trying to show off, that I kind of got over it...

Haven't heard that yet about a camaro!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #638
dove92

Drives: 1991 ford explorer
If you guys honestly think everyone can buy this car your crazy, let the poeple whi want to buy it buy it, and if they are willing to become part of the community the n they can. Not everyone can afford a 50k car, i bet half the guys on here(including myself) who are tlaking about it arent even going to be able to get it
dove92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #639
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
These days manuals are being limited and it is shocking. Driving a sports car without a manual tranny is a crime IMO. Make the ZL1 only manual and keep in step with the GT500.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #640
The RC3

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Im with dove92, more than half the people here and/or the ones who voted wont buy the ZL1 because they either can't afford it, or when GM finally releases the pricing, they will complain about the final price and somehow "drive them away" from buying one.

Now for the ones who are actually going to buy the car, sure why not make it available for all types of drivers (auto or man). Wouldn't bother me one bit. Me personally I prefer the manual transmission because to me nothing beats the feeling of being able to drop the car into a lower gear and have the rpms rev and the exhaust pur. To me clicking a paddle doesnt come off the same way but to others thats their excitement.

To GM: offer as many options as possible. let buyers choose what they want in their car. We're paying for the car, we should get what we want in it. Whether it be auto, manual, leather, cloth, sunroof, engine build experience, date with the new TF girl, or being able to punch Michael Bay in the face for making Pearl Harbor, more options = more sales.
The RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #641
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
I would never purchase a automatic for myself, however, it is important I feel to offer the ZL1 to as many people who would want it and that includes those who would like to have an automatic transmission. If it were made just a stick car, that would leave out quite a few people I imagine. I voted yes.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #642
Andy45422

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
I am a customer capable of purchasing and I vote YES to an automatic. I prefer it, howevor I will still buy it even if it is only offered in manual.
Andy45422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #643
Stay Marine
Finally home!!

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS; in transformation
Is the true challenge and thrill of driving a car to its fullest potential (or yours) getting in one where the computer and auto trans do all the thinking and work for you? Of course there are efficiencies with more computerization?? Consistancy on the track from skill and capability are worthy goals; consistancy from a computer doing all the work....not so much.
Its obviously personal to many people. I don't prescribe to the pee-wee soccer mentality...where everyone can/should be able to.... I don't want to drive a car just anyone can get into and drive. A muscle car isn't for everyone (at least, didn't used to be...isn't that part of the mystique?). Should the Camaro mystique be about some cool headlights and rims....or something more aggressive, more instictive, more to our basic need to control something powerful and on the edge (getting carried away, I know).
My driving experience is driving my car; not being driven by it.
But then, there's no money in buildling manual's alone; and even the biggest corporations will bend to public opinion.
For those who demand the standard, hold tight to what you have; they will be gone before long.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #644
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Almost to 1000!