Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
WELCOME TO TAXACHUSETTS

Last year, the annual excise tax on my 1SS was $625.00. Yeterday I got my excise tax bills in the mail. My 1SS was $453.00, my 2001 Buick was $50.00 and my 2007 Harley FLSTC was $46.50. We also have a 6.25% sales tax that is imposed every time that a vehicle changes ownership. My 1SS will be my last new car because I am sick and tired of paying for the freeloaders in our system. I will keep the SS and replace my Buick with used cars that have depreciated. I quit smoking 13 years ago. It was NOT for any noble reason like my health, it was because of the loonie liberal's in my home state raising the taxes through the roof. I started this thread to blow off a little steam and to give other fed up taxed to death people a chance to vent. When I bought my SS in May of 2010, I had an 8 grand trade in for my 2002 SS so I paid over $1,600.00 in sales tax on the remaining $25,000.00.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
But look at all of the nice roads the taxes pay for here in Mass...
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I find the yearly tax a big load of crap. We've got the same story here in Indy. That hit you with sales tax on the vehicle when you buy it but, then they tax you every year for driving it. It's double-taxation, pure and simple. I do understand that they need to maintain and build roads so, I guess it's a necessary evil but, it's still a bit extreme.

As for your decision to quit smoking, you did exactly what the tax was intended for. I apologize for pissing off the smokers on here but, it's a dirty, nasty, habit; and it's horrible for your health. Smoking is a slow way of killing yourself. The taxation of cigarettes is a deterrent and is meant to encourage people to quit. If anything, I think they should increase the taxes on cigarettes and use that money towards a healthcare system(NOT Obamacare... but, that's a different topic) or at least put towards cancer research or something beneficial to people's health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Last year, the annual excise tax on my 1SS was $625.00. Yeterday I got my excise tax bills in the mail. My 1SS was $453.00, my 2001 Buick was $50.00 and my 2007 Harley FLSTC was $46.50. We also have a 6.25% sales tax that is imposed every time that a vehicle changes ownership. My 1SS will be my last new car because I am sick and tired of paying for the freeloaders in our system. I will keep the SS and replace my Buick with used cars that have depreciated. I quit smoking 13 years ago. It was NOT for any noble reason like my health, it was because of the loonie liberal's in my home state raising the taxes through the roof. I started this thread to blow off a little steam and to give other fed up taxed to death people a chance to vent. When I bought my SS in May of 2010, I had an 8 grand trade in for my 2002 SS so I paid over $1,600.00 in sales tax on the remaining $25,000.00.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
What....Are you saying that in Massachusetts, there is basically a property tax levied on the cars you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
But look at all of the nice roads the taxes pay for here in Mass...
I was just in Mass. last October on a week-long vacation. I have driven in over 40 states, and I can say without a doubt that Massachusetts is the worst place I've ever driven. Only time I've ever been in a car and thought "gee..I'd actually rather be in Chicago during rush hour."
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
As for your decision to quit smoking, you did exactly what the tax was intended for. I apologize for pissing off the smokers on here but, it's a dirty, nasty, habit; and it's horrible for your health. Smoking is a slow way of killing yourself. The taxation of cigarettes is a deterrent and is meant to encourage people to quit. If anything, I think they should increase the taxes on cigarettes and use that money towards a healthcare system(NOT Obamacare... but, that's a different topic) or at least put towards cancer research or something beneficial to people's health.
Problem there is the state depends on that revenue. If they tax cigarettes to the point that people quit, they will have to look for other things to tax to make up for it. That is exactly what's happened in Wisconsin. The cig tax has increased significantly over the last few years, and cigarette tax revenues are down. (Not because people quit, they are just driving to Iowa and Minnesota and buying a 3 month supply at a time).

In case this raises the question, this is just an observation and not a personal thing. I don't smoke, never will.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
soniccj7

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
What....Are you saying that in Massachusetts, there is basically a property tax levied on the cars you own?

I was just in Mass. last October on a week-long vacation. I have driven in over 40 states, and I can say without a doubt that Massachusetts is the worst place I've ever driven. Only time I've ever been in a car and thought "gee..I'd actually rather be in Chicago during rush hour."
They are suppose to use the tax to repair our toads, but we have pot holes here that could swallow your wheels.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
4 to 5 hundred you got off cheep. 1,600 for my dodge it's first year.
goochland CO suxx.

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
You could be like everyone else and move to the NH border...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
1up5dn

Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj7 View Post
They are suppose to use the tax to repair our toads, but we have pot holes here that could swallow your wheels.

What's wrong with your toads????
1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Colorado is like that. im glad New Mexico doesn't do that. $65 a year is all i pay.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
RI is even worse, they tax the hell out of you and the roads suck. I always thought that the gas tax was for fixing the roads. Anyway,I will be leaving this state. All they do is give away every thing for free to people that are to lazy to get off their ass our to people that just came off the boat. Then tell the people that work every day that they have to pay for it.
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
In Arizona, at least the Phoenix Metro area the roads are resurfaced like every other year it seams, and they are great to drive on. But you do have to pay for them, sales tax is any where from 8.8% to 10.1% depeneding on where you live, and of course we still have to pay a vehicle licensing tax each year based on the value of the car. My license tax when I bought my 2011 2LT/RS was $595, and the sales tax was $2,700 based on 9%. Thankfully the vehivle license tax goes down each year.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I'm still astounded there is no annual personal property tax on vehicles in NY. Hopefully the liberal pukes in Albany aren't monitoring this thread. After all, the freeloaders needs their flat panels in their free digs.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
we pay registration every 3 years, and the last time i paid it, it was $35... so let me get this straight.. you pay sales tax when you buy the car, property tax on the car every year, gas guzzler tax (if applicable), taxes on gasoline every time you fill up, and registration? wow, you imagine the birthplace of the American Revolution would be the leaders of Conservative beliefs, lol..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote