Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
ruserious
Beth Anne

Drives: 06 TBSS, 06 Tahoe Z71, 99 BMW Dinan
Dealer Isn't Interested in Selling Me A Car

As you may know, I placed an order for a 2011 Vert back on 1/29. After a week and a half of sitting at 1102, I started questioning the status and whether the dealer actually had allocation. Last night, I received an email from the General Manager @ the dealer, stating that he is not interested in selling me a car and will be refunding my deposit.

Of course, I'm PO'd but I'm also happy I found out what kind of dealer they are now instead of later. I've purchased from them before (back in 2001) and never saw this kind of treatment. I'm guessing he didn't like being called on the fact he can't fulfill my order.

This may work out fine for me, since I'd rather wait a few months and go for a 2012.

01/29/11 - Ordered Black/Black, 2SS/RS, Vert, 6M w/ Hurst, Silver Stripes w/ Quarter Flares
ruserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: ZL1
Do you have a low credit rating? Other than that this makes no sense to me.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
ruserious
Beth Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Do you have a low credit rating? Other than that this makes no sense to me.
Nope, not even close, it's not a credit issue... What's funny is I have not even met the guy or even talked to him. I've been dealing w/ my salesman so I'm not sure where he gets off treating anyone like this..

01/29/11 - Ordered Black/Black, 2SS/RS, Vert, 6M w/ Hurst, Silver Stripes w/ Quarter Flares
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Sometimes being a jerk go both ways ...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
wlee32

Drives: 2011 2LT Blk/Orange Strip & int
Ha you should wait for the ZL1
wlee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
That's Crazy Beth Anne!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Your dealer is an idiot. By picking and choosing clients, your dealer immaturely limits business like a child who hates vegetables limits nutrition.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
anglwngss
Treasurer LoneStarCamaro

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Wonder if he's going to try to sell it to someone else over the price of the MSRP. Or at least if that's their intentions.
anglwngss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
ruserious
Beth Anne

I've purchased a number of brand new vehicles over the years but never ran into this. Sure, I'm a tough sell (my husband says he wouldn't want to sell me a car). I do my homework, know what options I want, how much it should cost and I go from there. I suspect, although I could be totally wrong, that the GM was tired of the Salesman asking all kinds of questions about allocation. Yesterday morning, I was told the GM was calling his Regional Rep to find out what was up w/ the order and then later in the day, told that orders get picked on Wednesdays. At no point in any of my conversations did anyone ever confirm they had allocation to build this car for me.

What aggravates me the most is getting the run around. If they didn't have allocation, fine. All I asked for was a date when they'd have it however I couldn't even get that. Maybe I came across like a jerk, but in the end, I'm the one looking to spend my money with them.

As long as they refund my deposit, we'll be good.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
ruserious
Beth Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
Wonder if he's going to try to sell it to someone else over the price of the MSRP. Or at least if that's their intentions.
I thought about that too. I've already run into 1 dealer that was 5K over MSRP.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Sorry to hear that. I'm lucky in the sense I work for a large company where I live. A brand new Tahoe I ordered got damaged before I took delivery of it and the dealer tried to push it on me even though after repairs the damage was still slightly visible.

I said no, I ordered and want a new one. They said they'd go through it again but couldn't give me same price. After discussing with salesman and general manager to no avail I got the owners work number and left a message. I explained the situation, where I worked and how for the next 6 months every meeting I attend I will make a point to 'tell this story' to all in attendence.

I got a call from the owner that afternoon to come back down and sort this out. I didn't want nor receive anything extra, simply a new car at same price and we sorted it out in 5 minutes. I was then able to tell co-workers about their better customer service.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Cully

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green Camaro
The beauty of buying a NEW car is every new car dealer has a shot at earning your business. Unlike used cars where your perfect car may only be on one lot, every new car dealer can sell you the same car.
Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
cut and run .........now
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
This happened on my 2nd one, we ordered and waited and waited and waited, checked the status and still at 1100 after 3 months. Cancelled and said f*** it. No sense in getting mad, i got even when GM Visa sent me a 2500 discount a few months later after cancelling, used it at another dealer though.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
You want a convertable at a good price. Dealer wants to sell the first few convertables at a high markup, and probably has buyers lined up.

This was happening in 2009 to people who put down deposits to buy at MSRP. As production started, *some* dealers started returning deposits to buyers who wouldn't pay a $5-10K markup.

I don't mind dealers who pad their profit when buyers are lining up to pay extra. But any dealer who accepts a customer order and deposit, then backs out to sell at a higher price, is scum IMO. Add their name to the price-gouging dealer list and try to get them some bad publicity... that's about all you can do.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Starminder
Savant

Drives: 2011 Vert 2SS/RS CGM
I had a sort of similar experience with my most local dealer. I may as well have walked in the door with money falling out of my pockets. I wanted to order my Camaro and also wanted a brochure to show my wife the GMC Terrain. Immediately the GM (nastily) told me they weren't taking orders for the Camaro yet (this was 11/28) and it was going to be at least the middle of December before they could. The Sales Manager (acting put out) sat down with me and took down the info about the cars, made a folder, and said the "Internet" guy would call me on Monday. By the next Wednesday I had not heard from anyone and to this day they never did call. So, I went to dealer closer to work, walked in, told them what I wanted, we sat down at the computer and placed the order. Unfortunately this dealer didn't also have GMC, so I went to a different dealer for that one.

With the GMC dealer, again I printed out exactly what we wanted, and not only that, gave the Sales Manager VIN #'s of cars that appeared to be built to that spec. After more than a week of run around and "we'll have it for you next week" I gave up, called a broker, and within 30 minutes was on the way to pick up the Terrain to surprise my wife. With this dealer I felt like I had done all the work yet I still wasn't getting anywhere. In the end I got a better deal (despite paying the broker) and he was able to accomplish in 30 minutes what the dealership couldn't manage to do in a week and a half. Go figure?

Fast forward to today. We've had the Terrain a few weeks now. Camaro is on order and built. It's beyond me that I was able to walk into a dealer not to buy just one but TWO cars and yet I had to go to multiple other dealerships to get it done.

It appears to me that GM really hasn't learned too much over the past few years, and at the very least the dealerships that I dealt with directly are still using the same old practices that are kind of dated in today's market. I was willing to pay sticker on both cars - kind of no muss no fuss, and they didn't need to waste hours waiting for me to choose a color and options, all of it was done. For crying out loud, why is ordering a car so hard? It sure shouldn't be. The worst part of all is with each dealership I was the ONLY customer in the place when I visited. Considering today's economy, I was an easy sale on TWO vehicles yet still got a lot of runaround, wasted time, all over nothing. This just shouldn't be this hard.

Moral of my story: Assuming you have dealerships to choose from (hoping you do), then save yourself. With the Terrain I had to drive two hours to go get it, but it was a small price to pay to get my wife what she wanted, and also a means of getting away from empty promises - especially when I had up until that point done all the work, too. This was the first time I used a broker and definitely won't be my last. If you want the experience to be pain free, let an expert negotiate your price and find your car. In my case, he saved me $1700 off sticker so his fee was more than well earned. An even better option would be to contact one of the dealers on this site such as Anna or Eric - they've both given me much better customer service already and well, I'm not even their customer this time. Considering how well both have treated me, they get first dibs on my business next go around.

11/29/2010 - (1100) Order Placed
01/28/2011 - (3800) Order produced
03/01/2011 - (4200) Shipped
03/16/2011 - DELIVERED

View my Garage

Last edited by Starminder; 02-12-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added more
Starminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #17
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully View Post
The beauty of buying a NEW car is every new car dealer has a shot at earning your business. Unlike used cars where your perfect car may only be on one lot, every new car dealer can sell you the same car.

Correct for a used car, but for a new on lot deal you can do a "Dealer Trade". There is one dealer in town that I REFUSE to do business with due to past bad experiences. When I wanted to buy my wife a new (on lot) Traverse, she fell in love with one at THAT dealership....So I went through a different dealership and they did a dealer trade.

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
there are a ton of dealers on here like Anna at Sparta. They TRULY understand what your car means to you and when I order my new ZL1, I will be contacting them to have one ordered for me.......
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote