Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
njdad61

Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
CAI or HF Cat next???

I just bolted up my Borla ATAK cat-back earlier today. Thing sounds freakin' MEAN!!! But instead of being fully satisfied, I WANT MORE!!!!! I am eventually going to drop the cash on a set of LTs, but right now I'm trying to decide between a cold air intake (specifically CAI brand w/ ADM scoop) and a High Flow cat (haven't really researched a brand)... Which one should give me the largest HP/Torque gain and how will a HF cat affect the ATAK exhaust note? Also, the price for the CAI w/ scoop will be $475 ($525 for black). How much should I expect to pay for the cat? Thanks for all input!
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
You've been bitten by the mod bug big time! Hahaha! Join the club! Anyway, a cai is a must before moving to other mods! The CAI brand with scoop is a great choice as are a few other similar cai's! High flow cats will give you a nice power gain and also make it really loud with the Borlas! I have a Roto-Fab cai with scoop as well as Solo Performance high flow cats! I love them both and it's hard to say which one to do first! Modding is a progression unless you have deep pockets and can do a whole bunch of stuff all at once! I had to do it piece by piece. I started with a cai, then cat back, then high flows! If you are going with LT's in the future you might want to hold off on the high flows till then because stock fitting high flows won't fit LT's! I'm waiting on LT's for now which is why I got the stock fitting high flows now. Hope this helps and enjoy modding!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
njdad61

Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
You've been bitten by the mod bug big time! Hahaha! Join the club! Anyway, a cai is a must before moving to other mods! The CAI brand with scoop is a great choice as are a few other similar cai's! High flow cats will give you a nice power gain and also make it really loud with the Borlas! I have a Roto-Fab cai with scoop as well as Solo Performance high flow cats! I love them both and it's hard to say which one to do first! Modding is a progression unless you have deep pockets and can do a whole bunch of stuff all at once! I had to do it piece by piece. I started with a cai, then cat back, then high flows! If you are going with LT's in the future you might want to hold off on the high flows till then because stock fitting high flows won't fit LT's! I'm waiting on LT's for now which is why I got the stock fitting high flows now. Hope this helps and enjoy modding!
That definitely makes sense. I think I will probably go with the CAI since I haven't fully decided if I want to add LTs or not. If I do, I'll probably get ARH LTs w/ the HF cats attached. If not, I'm leaning toward Solo Performance HF cats. Thanks!
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote