Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #151
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Didn't read the thread past the first post......

I have yet to see C & D show up at a Camaro Team meeting........

Take what you hear on price with a grain of salt.

UPDATE:

My point here is this:

The Team continues to work on this car - meaning the developmental work -- to get all the details just right. How do you price something when you're not done?

Pricing is always one of the last things done on a car. True: you have a target in mind, but anyone who gives you a price on this car is guessing (in most cases with little or no real knowledge of the content and percentage of 'specific' parts .....meaning those being unique to the ZL1)

I certainly don't want to dampen your zeal for what you see - but I also don't want someone out there thinking: 43K!!!!!

Last edited by fbodfather; 02-12-2011 at 06:14 AM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #152
mpate16

Drives: 2012 Camaro LSX 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryteacher View Post
I agree with you. The aftermarket goodies and power is a great idea, but they can kill your warranty. But, I guess if you have the bucks to build it in the first place, maybe you don't need to worry about the warranty... I think the most exciting part is that now WE have a factory answer to the the shelby issue!!
I was kind of referring to the ZL1 stuff would all be under warranty... instead of doing aftermarket stuff.
mpate16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #153
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

I have yet to see C & D show up (or be invited) to a Camaro Team meeting........

OPPss

Looks like 47K was wrong,,,and it won't be under that for sure,,,,so

Better figure upwards a little bit more, like 55K
Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #154
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltmark View Post
Why not take your 2SS and add a super charger and be ahead of the 550Hp that the ZL1 will have and still be under value of the new 2012? You can do this for $7K at the most.
I get your point but you have to take into account all the other upgrades your going to have to do....

- Suspension Mods, to get the power down to the ground.
- Possibly upgrade your rear end to handle the new amount of power
- Upgrade Transmission, it'll give after awhile
- Engine (bolts ons, heads & cam, etc.) Upgrades, to get the most out of that supercharger

Add all that up and your close to $20k in mods, to a what? $40k car you already bought?

Like others have mentioned, the ZL1 has more to offer then just a supercharger, 550hp and a LSA engine. But if your just looking for the horsepower output, then yeaa i agree with you. Just slap a supercharger on your ls3 and you'll be close.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #155
bobby35ny

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

I have yet to see C & D show up (or be invited) to a Camaro Team meeting........

OHHH, Less than 47? LOL
-bobby
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #156
MarkSS

Drives: 1SS 1LE
I certainly hope all of you who are saying 55k are very wrong. I believe the difference between 47-48 and 55 is huge in this segment and will stop many buyers, including me. I just got back from the Chicago show and I love the ZL1, but Chevrolet has built its performance heritage on being the ultimate in bang for the buck. I would give up a lot of the luxury toys on the ZL1 and just keep the performance hardware (which is most of the package) if it would save even a couple thousand... I would go cloth seats, no power on the pass. side. etc. Value needs to enter the equation on this car.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #157
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:

Thought the 47k might have been too good to be true! Thanks for bringing us back to reality.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #158
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #159
ZR1Tom

Drives: 1998 Mustang Cobra
ZL1

Hello all. I am a current owner of a 1998 Mustang Cobra, but, looking to convert over to a Camaro. Last May (2010) I almost purchased a 2SS Camaro, but then heard of the Z28 coming out soon, so I waited. Glad I did. I love what I am seeing on the ZL1 2012 Camaro. You get so much for the dollar amount. I compared a 2011 Shelby GT 500 Cobra fully loaded at a little over $46,000 and it does not come with as many of the goodies as the ZL1 or even the SS Camaro has to offer at a lower price. I do wish the ZL1 was a little different, as maybe coming with a 7 Liter 427 Cubic, 650 Horsepower and a litte bigger tires in the rear (330's). I noticed in the photos I have been seeing that the tires on the car at the Chicago show were not the tires designed for the car. Those were supercar F1's and the tires designed for the ZL1 are supercar F2 tires. I was also wondering how water is kept from pouring into the engine compartment through the hood vents when it is raining? Seems like the vents would act like funnels straight into the engine bay. Anyway will be in the market for this car in March 2013 or if I like the 2013 ZL1 better, May 2013 would be the purchase date for that model year.

ZR1Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #160
ODN13x

Drives: 2011 M6 2SS/RS
unfortunatly i sell fords for a living but it pays the bills, fully opitoned shelby it 55K, so i see the ZL1 being around that price point...with that being said i would gladly pay that for a shelby stomping camaro
ODN13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #161
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Tom View Post
Hello all. I am a current owner of a 1998 Mustang Cobra, but, looking to convert over to a Camaro. Last May (2010) I almost purchased a 2SS Camaro, but then heard of the Z28 coming out soon, so I waited. Glad I did. I love what I am seeing on the ZL1 2012 Camaro. You get so much for the dollar amount. I compared a 2011 Shelby GT 500 Cobra fully loaded at a little over $46,000 and it does not come with as many of the goodies as the ZL1 or even the SS Camaro has to offer at a lower price. I do wish the ZL1 was a little different, as maybe coming with a 7 Liter 427 Cubic, 650 Horsepower and a litte bigger tires in the rear (330's). I noticed in the photos I have been seeing that the tires on the car at the Chicago show were not the tires designed for the car. Those were supercar F1's and the tires designed for the ZL1 are supercar F2 tires. I was also wondering how water is kept from pouring into the engine compartment through the hood vents when it is raining? Seems like the vents would act like funnels straight into the engine bay. Anyway will be in the market for this car in March 2013 or if I like the 2013 ZL1 better, May 2013 would be the purchase date for that model year.

how can you say that the ZL1 gives so much for the dollar amount when we don't even know what that dollar amount is?? I'm sure it's going to be a good value for those people that want what is packed into the vehicle.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #162
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
how can you say that the ZL1 gives so much for the dollar amount when we don't even know what that dollar amount is?? I'm sure it's going to be a good value for those people that want what is packed into the vehicle.
True that sir

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #163
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:

Definitely saw this one coming. Granted that doesn't really mean that it isn't going to be $47k it just means that C&D does not have any inside knowledge and we should not believe everything they say.

Personally my first reaction was that $47k was too low to be true. Every other Camaro model is more expensive than the corresponding Mustang, I assume that will hold true in that this will cost more than the GT500.

My personal hope is that a ZL1 with suede interior and automatic transmission will be less than $60k out the door. I expect the starting price to be about $50k and I figure the suede interior and auto will cost another $4k-$5k combined.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #164
NoynuR

Drives: 2008 M3 ESS Supercharged 650Hp
One answer. Drive a manual save money, have more fun!
NoynuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #165
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
If we can't get the car for base at 47K, then GM should let us a-la-cart a build that is within reason of 47K.

In other words, option the suede, MRC (very expensive), adjustable passenger seat and all the other stuff that does not count.

I'm sorry but MRC does count but, what if they let us aftermarket with a warranty.

2SS's -1SS's were breaking stock parts, wheel hopping like rabbits, can't get enough air (CAI), needs a better throttle-body, etc, etc.

Any amount over let's say 47K doesn't sound like a fix to me.

We have to pay out the @$$ for the fixes.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #166
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
$51,995
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #167
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 Camaro TPW 10/18
im going to say 53 fully loaded, 51 well equipped.

Borla ATAKHURST ShifterC.A.I Intake W/ScoopTSW Nurburing RimsACC L.E.Ds Dome/Trunk
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #168
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
how can places throw out wrong info and not get in trouble for it? lol
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #169
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
47K Would sell a lot of cars. I hope it is true because if it is,,, even I would think about it and I have sworn that my SS and me will be together for a long long time.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #170
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #171
ZR1Tom

True, I do not know the price at this time. I am prepared to pay up to $55,000 for the car, but would prefer to pay less. Charging an arm and a leg fo the ZL1 will only drive potential buyers to purchase the Shelby for a lower price. GM did well keeping the SS Camaro at a lower price and offering a lot of goodies for that price. Even though I own a Cobra that I enjoy a lot, the new design of the 2SS Camaro and the many items you receive for the pricing made me to want to purchase the new Camaro. I guess the bottom line is what each person wants in a car, whether they like the styling, performance and of course willing to part with that much money. I will be selling my Cobra to finance part of this purchase, so the decision doesn't come easy. Of course I am willing to wait till either March 2013 for the 2012 model or maybe May 2013 for the 2013 model. From what I have been reading over the last year or so, the newer 2014 or 2015 will be on the Alpha platform, which is good, less weight, but will have a turbo V-6. I do not like that idea, love my V-8's and the sound they make. Anyway, at this time I am content is sitting back, saving my money and keep on reading.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #172
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Thanks Scott. Nertz to C & D
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #173
ZR1Tom

Hmmm, $55,000 for a fully loaded Shelby? Wonder what the dealer was going to sell me for a little over $46,000? The Shelby he was trying to sell me was sitting in the showroom and it looked pretty sweet. Of course I would go with a manual tranny. It's a shame that the car manufacturers want so much for the fun cars. If they keep pricing them so high, might was well jump into the $60's and look at the Vettes.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #174
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1Tom View Post
Hmmm, $55,000 for a fully loaded Shelby? Wonder what the dealer was going to sell me for a little over $46,000? The Shelby he was trying to sell me was sitting in the showroom and it looked pretty sweet. Of course I would go with a manual tranny. It's a shame that the car manufacturers want so much for the fun cars. If they keep pricing them so high, might was well jump into the $60's and look at the Vettes.
the general consensus on this forum is that if the price goes too high might as well just buy a vette.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #175
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
This is why the only thing I look at in car magazines that review and test new production cars is the pictures and performance figures. I even take those results with a grain of salt cause they usually have some writer with no skill doing the testing. Just about everything else is opinion or rumor.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote