Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

ZL1 Wheels/Tires Wheels and tires discussion for ZL1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I heard the Goodyear F1 and F1 G2 require preheating or just some hot laps before usage... The Motor Trend tester Randy Pobst commented on that as well. When they are cold they are no good.
In my mind...and most race-oriented philosophies....it only makes sense to warm up your tires with a couple practice laps before beginning a competition....

It's the reason you burn out before a drag...the reason NASCAR has parade lap(s) before each race, and why you don't pull out of a garage and onto a track and expect to win....

That said...it's still a street car, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to burn out every morning before your trek to work.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
In my mind...and most race-oriented philosophies....it only makes sense to warm up your tires with a couple practice laps before beginning a competition....

It's the reason you burn out before a drag...the reason NASCAR has parade lap(s) before each race, and why you don't pull out of a garage and onto a track and expect to win....

That said...it's still a street car, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to burn out every morning before your trek to work.
Although I personally do not frown upon a smokey burn out before work, I know it just doesn't happen.... I'm afraid that pre-heating Goodyear's also doesn't happen during magazine testing... the top two tire manufacturers in the US provide tires that are superior in cold traction (guess which two) but they are not as durable and cheap as Goodyear's. I have a feeling, that when the GT500 and the ZL1 are compared in our popular publications, it will be like "Disney on Ice".. Where well known characters "try" to perform on a hardened surface, wearing performance costumes and moving about on sub-par equipment... with almost zero experience....
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
thenaz
Thenaz
 
thenaz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS BLK GFX IOI/STRIPE TVS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 64
Question GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF IN 20inch

So when will the GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF tires on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro be available to purchase?

The ZL1 list the sizes as 285/35-20 and 305/35-20.

I have about 20,000 miles on my original tires and would like new CCW16a rims with these tires, but searchs come back empty.

I know they won't be cheap as my 2001 Vette has the F1 GS EMTs but they are 275/40 ZR 18s and 245/45 ZR 17s and total about $1500 for the set.
thenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Although I personally do not frown upon a smokey burn out before work, I know it just doesn't happen.... I'm afraid that pre-heating Goodyear's also doesn't happen during magazine testing... the top two tire manufacturers in the US provide tires that are superior in cold traction (guess which two) but they are not as durable and cheap as Goodyear's. I have a feeling, that when the GT500 and the ZL1 are compared in our popular publications, it will be like "Disney on Ice".. Where well known characters "try" to perform on a hardened surface, wearing performance costumes and moving about on sub-par equipment... with almost zero experience....
When you go for a lap around a track...by all rights the tester should perform multiple laps. It only take one or two to warm up the tires, depending on the length of the track.

I have a different opinion on the outcome of this comparison with the ZL1...


Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
So when will the GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF tires on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro be available to purchase?
After the ZL1 is released to the wild....or January 2012.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #30
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
So when will the GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF tires on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro be available to purchase?

The ZL1 list the sizes as 285/35-20 and 305/35-20.

I have about 20,000 miles on my original tires and would like new CCW16a rims with these tires, but searchs come back empty.

I know they won't be cheap as my 2001 Vette has the F1 GS EMTs but they are 275/40 ZR 18s and 245/45 ZR 17s and total about $1500 for the set.
I didn't even see the 305s a couple weeks ago. I'm sure we'll see them soon I think I'll step up to at least some 315s when it's time to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
When you go for a lap around a track...by all rights the tester should perform multiple laps. It only take one or two to warm up the tires, depending on the length of the track.

I have a different opinion on the outcome of this comparison with the ZL1...

After the ZL1 is released to the wild....or January 2012.
Also - from some of the spyshots we've seen, I think ZL1 transfers weight pretty well. A couple shots in the rain even seem to bare that out, for me.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Civilian
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sunny So-Cal
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That said...it's still a street car, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to burn out every morning before your trek to work.
Need to no, but waking up the neighbors every morning will be fun.
Civilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
Need to no, but waking up the neighbors every morning will be fun.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
anthonyj9h
"First There"
 
anthonyj9h's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: in a hole somewhere
Posts: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
Need to no, but waking up the neighbors every morning will be fun.
i like your way of thinking
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #34
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
When you go for a lap around a track...by all rights the tester should perform multiple laps. It only take one or two to warm up the tires, depending on the length of the track.

I have a different opinion on the outcome of this comparison with the ZL1...
With a supercharged V8, your gonna want to cold lap it as much as possible. A heat soaked GT500 can lose between 10-15% of its power when soaked. Keep the superchargers on the drag strip, having your timing pulled because your intercooler is over jobbed is never fun... You could take the tires off and heat cycle them but I don't think magazine testers do that...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
With a supercharged V8, your gonna want to cold lap it as much as possible. A heat soaked GT500 can lose between 10-15% of its power when soaked. Keep the superchargers on the drag strip, having your timing pulled because your intercooler is over jobbed is never fun... You could take the tires off and heat cycle them but I don't think magazine testers do that...
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?

I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

Besides...wouldn't you agree that properly-prepped tires will benefit the car's handling, braking, and acceleration...I'd think that would outweigh a few horsepower lost to heat soak.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #36
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?

I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

Besides...wouldn't you agree that properly-prepped tires will benefit the car's handling, braking, and acceleration...I'd think that would outweigh a few horsepower lost to heat soak.
As good as a superchargerd application can get I guess, major horsepower will be lost if timing starts to pull(which eventually happens when pushed). The dual brick intercooler should be better but I can't say for sure and the extractor will definately help at high speeds.

prepped tires or cold motor? hmmmmm..... I want both...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
As good as a superchargerd application can get I guess, major horsepower will be lost if timing starts to pull(which eventually happens when pushed). The dual brick intercooler should be better but I can't say for sure and the extractor will definately help at high speeds.

prepped tires or cold motor? hmmmmm..... I want both...
ICE.....

(Oh, and it's not dual-brick...it's a single-block like the CTS-V - it's actually fairly more efficient than the ZR1s intercooler.)
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #38
porcupinekiller
 
porcupinekiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GT500
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

Besides...wouldn't you agree that properly-prepped tires will benefit the car's handling, braking, and acceleration...I'd think that would outweigh a few horsepower lost to heat soak.
The 2012 GT500 received a 40% capacity upgrade to it's heat exchanger. It does much better in multiple lap situations than the prior cars. Where I live the temp is a little cooler. Even in the summer we rarely get much over 80 degrees (typical summer day is mid 70's) so I've had no problem with heat soak in my 2010 GT500. I do know that many guys living in hot summer climates upgrade their heat exchangers with Afco dual fan units to insure lower iat temp and prevent timing from being pulled due to heat soak. Changing to a smaller pulley (adding boost) will increase temp so a heat exchanger upgrade would be recommended to anyone performing this mod just to play it safe.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...0-fans-p-30474
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #39
Civilian
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sunny So-Cal
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
i like your way of thinking
Funny, My neighbors don't.
Civilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
Funny, My neighbors don't.
Look where we live, lol...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
The 2012 GT500 received a 40% capacity upgrade to it's heat exchanger. It does much better in multiple lap situations than the prior cars. Where I live the temp is a little cooler. Even in the summer we rarely get much over 80 degrees (typical summer day is mid 70's) so I've had no problem with heat soak in my 2010 GT500. I do know that many guys living in hot summer climates upgrade their heat exchangers with Afco dual fan units to insure lower iat temp and prevent timing from being pulled due to heat soak. Changing to a smaller pulley (adding boost) will increase temp so a heat exchanger upgrade would be recommended to anyone performing this mod just to play it safe.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...0-fans-p-30474
Thanks! I thought I remembered reading something along those lines.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #42
shl4Z28
 
shl4Z28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 329
Sorry to revive a tired thread (no pun intended), do any of our wheel suppliers have anything in the works for these bad boys?!
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #43
Rocky918
 
Rocky918's Avatar
 
Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 747
so we are basically getting the eagle F1 supercar G tires on the Z06 corvette... but they are calling them the F2 specifically because its designed for the ZL1? is that correct?
__________________
- Life is to short to let it pass you by
Rocky918 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shno's House of Z Number 3 Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 15353 Today 12:43 AM
BREAKING: 2012 CAMARO ZL1 - 6.2L LSA Supercharged - 6MT Revealed! Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 756 05-01-2013 07:22 AM
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 38 02-17-2012 01:45 AM
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 11:51 AM
Customer Service A Major Waste of Time - Tires jbreed Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 11 09-11-2009 12:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.