Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #426
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Padre; I finally got the guages today, so the team is going to start finishing up the clutch bleeder, clutch reservoir, the catch can is already customized and installed, and the guages will be installed and setup with all the sensors for AFR, Fuel Pressure, boost and vacum.
The madness is finally coming to an end, I should have her back by next week-end.
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it. LOL
Can't wait to see it in action! Go do a mountain run or something and get it on video!

I did change out my rear bades:

Not bad for $20 in ebay badges.

Here's the new page link again for my car featured on bestwheeldeals: http://bestwheeldeals.com/2010_CAMARO_TRACK.HTML

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #427
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Well it'll be a while before I'll be doing any crazy runs. There's a few really great roads about 10kms. North of where I am where I can let loose on an open road, but need to wait until the roads heat up before I can get too crazy.
These vehicles tend to slide around like their on ice in cold weather (tires are not meant for cold ashphalt).
But, things are finally coming along, it's been a long road to get this far. I'll post up some pics as soon as I can.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #428
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Hey Padre! What a beautifully documented, informative, and entertaining thread. This is one of the best I have followed to date. What made it even better was the set-up I have planned for my Camaro is almost identicall to what I just read here on yours. I too have an L99 that has only had LTH's added by SLP and the high flow cats and Axle-back exhaust. But in two weeks, out here in Vegas I take it in to have it cammed, DOD/AFM Delete, ZL-1 fuel pump, springs, push-rods, etc, and a Pro Charger DSC-1 Stage II tuner kit with fast 85lb injectors etc.. The tuner/mechanic out here at Fairway Chevrolet came highly recommended by friends and staff at ATI. So I'm very excited to get it all done. I won't have the amazing upgrade history that you do but will be sitting on a very fun car here shortly. They are confident that I too will be at or just over 600RWHP when all said and done. Can't wait!

Thanks for the amazing thread, ideas and information. I'll start a thread on my car with videos as soon as it begins in a couple of weeks.

Ken
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #429
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Thanks Ken! I'd love to hear how your D1SC does. I assume you'll be adding a Boost-a-pump to the ZL1 fuel pump?

Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
Hey Padre! What a beautifully documented, informative, and entertaining thread. This is one of the best I have followed to date. What made it even better was the set-up I have planned for my Camaro is almost identicall to what I just read here on yours. I too have an L99 that has only had LTH's added by SLP and the high flow cats and Axle-back exhaust. But in two weeks, out here in Vegas I take it in to have it cammed, DOD/AFM Delete, ZL-1 fuel pump, springs, push-rods, etc, and a Pro Charger DSC-1 Stage II tuner kit with fast 85lb injectors etc.. The tuner/mechanic out here at Fairway Chevrolet came highly recommended by friends and staff at ATI. So I'm very excited to get it all done. I won't have the amazing upgrade history that you do but will be sitting on a very fun car here shortly. They are confident that I too will be at or just over 600RWHP when all said and done. Can't wait!

Thanks for the amazing thread, ideas and information. I'll start a thread on my car with videos as soon as it begins in a couple of weeks.

Ken

D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #430
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Thanks Ken! I'd love to hear how your D1SC does. I assume you'll be adding a Boost-a-pump to the ZL1 fuel pump?

Padre

Well, I wondered about that myself since he is going with 85lb injectors. He told me that this pump is incredibly efficient and he has had no problems with this configuration w/o the addition of a BAP. I planned on calling him today to ask thim this since I hear the ZL-1 pump is good up to about 65psi? I might be wrong there just going from memory. He has done several L99's with this configuration and said they run like a dream. I'll get more detailed info, specs, cam numbers etc, once they start the install. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do along with sharing the info with you all.

I love the mountain drive video btw. Your Camaro sounds like it just want's to sh** and get when you hit the pedal. Violent definitely sums it up. When are you going to run a 1/4 mile? Can't wait for that.

Also, was looking into some Eibach suspension coil overs etc to beef up from stock. What have you heard about Eibach vs. Pedders? Just curious. I have heard great stuff about the Eibach kits and I know Hennesey really likes their stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #431
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
Well, I wondered about that myself since he is going with 85lb injectors. He told me that this pump is incredibly efficient and he has had no problems with this configuration w/o the addition of a BAP. I planned on calling him today to ask thim this since I hear the ZL-1 pump is good up to about 65psi? I might be wrong there just going from memory. He has done several L99's with this configuration and said they run like a dream. I'll get more detailed info, specs, cam numbers etc, once they start the install. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do along with sharing the info with you all.

I love the mountain drive video btw. Your Camaro sounds like it just want's to sh** and get when you hit the pedal. Violent definitely sums it up. When are you going to run a 1/4 mile? Can't wait for that.

Also, was looking into some Eibach suspension coil overs etc to beef up from stock. What have you heard about Eibach vs. Pedders? Just curious. I have heard great stuff about the Eibach kits and I know Hennesey really likes their stuff.
I went with the 1000hp-crank Aeromotive 5th Gen Camaro pump (18673) - 600lbs/hr, with 80lb injectors. I think at WOT we were under 70% injector duty cycle.

I didn't go with the ZL1 pump because I thought it was rated to only 580-crank. Since I'm over 700-crank, I didn't imagine it would work without a BAP. That's why I'd love to hear how you do. If you can get it working fine, then maybe it is much better than its rating. As it is my Aeromotive is noticeably noisy. Scares the little old ladies at Kroger when I turn on the ignition and the fuel pump primes.

Suspension is something I would put a lot of research into. I bought the lowering springs and sways without planning, just thining they would help, but discovered that they hurt my 60-foot.

I love Pedders, but if you go that route, plan plan plan, then recheck your plan. I saw one vendor from here (Hendrix) at the track with a Pedders full drag package, and it was so tight he could not hook AT ALL. He had to put 400lbs worth of junk in the trunk to get a 1.8 sixty. So plan plan plan, and plan.

Of course, my goals were drag racing, and your's may be different.

Padre

Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #432
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Build looks great Padre! How are you liking the D-1SC? Im looking into getting one of thoes.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #433
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterEcho View Post
Build looks great Padre! How are you liking the D-1SC? Im looking into getting one of thoes.
Love it! With the wastegate mod, the boost comes on part throttle, so it approaches the part-throttle performance of roots superchargers (Maggie, Whipple), while benefiting from the top-end of the centrifugals (ProCharger). Since my focus is drag racing, this works great for me, plus it gives me a daily driver that scares the horses.

Padre

Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #434
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

One of the other great benefits of this setup is the IATs. I decide against a roots style supercharger when I saw my GT500 nemesis at the track sitting for a half-hour between runs with ice on the intercooler.

With the Stage-II Intercooler, so far my IATs are great. I haven't tested it with heat soak at the track, but I anticipate it will be good.

Padre

Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #435
SixGracing

Planning

Quote:
I went with the 1000hp-crank Aeromotive 5th Gen Camaro pump (18673) - 600lbs/hr, with 80lb injectors. I think at WOT we were under 70% injector duty cycle.

I didn't go with the ZL1 pump because I thought it was rated to only 580-crank. Since I'm over 700-crank, I didn't imagine it would work without a BAP. That's why I'd love to hear how you do. If you can get it working fine, then maybe it is much better than its rating. As it is my Aeromotive is noticeably noisy. Scares the little old ladies at Kroger when I turn on the ignition and the fuel pump primes.

Suspension is something I would put a lot of research into. I bought the lowering springs and sways without planning, just thining they would help, but discovered that they hurt my 60-foot.

I love Pedders, but if you go that route, plan plan plan, then recheck your plan. I saw one vendor from here (Hendrix) at the track with a Pedders full drag package, and it was so tight he could not hook AT ALL. He had to put 400lbs worth of junk in the trunk to get a 1.8 sixty. So plan plan plan, and plan.

Padre
Great idea Padre, it does seem that you were very focused and did some amazing things to your car by planning, trial and error, tuning, etc. Maybe where you didn't invest a lot of time originally into the suspension aspect, or at least didn't post a lot of information about it, I can pick up and spend some quality research and trial into the best set-up for suspension mods. I too would like to get some great times for dragging and fully intend on racing my car. Utah where I am from, even though I work in Vegas, will be my main place for racing. Both Utah and Vegas have some great tracks. Utah has the Bonneville speedway for quarter mile races. Vegas also has some great tracks. So I should have plenty of places to test out my choices in suspension. I'll definitely keep everyone in the loop via my build thread on how it all turns out.

With your excellent logging of your engine build and hopefully my trials with suspension, we can assemble a very effective and mean package for our particular model of Camaro since we both have a 2SS L99 originally. I do know this is great stuff and I thoroughly enjoy the threads, the cars and soon the racing. Gets my adrenaline pumping.

I'm going to start by talking to the folks at Eibach and Pedders and see what their recommendations are. I like to start off with a feel for both customer service, knowledge, willingness to help etc. Then maybe make a choice. I do however want the engine work completed first so I can test the suspension on my car once it's on steroids. I'll document and hopefully have some good information for everyone soon...

-to be continued..
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #436
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Ken, key thing when doing the suspension is one thing at a time. I Should have done sways first, then lowering springs. Because I didn't, when the sixties were no longer consistent, I didn't know what to blaim. Plus, I had done other engine mods with it (like the EWP).

So, I had a lot of patience for most of my build. You'll benefit from patience when you begin your suspension trials.

Padre

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #437
SixGracing

Did quite a bit of calling and talking today with suspension people. So far looks like Pfadt racing has the most promising stuff geared towards Camaro's and drag racing. They have some beautiful packages from extreme drag racing to racers that still want a daily driver. The Eibach rep steered me away from their products for drag racing so I moved on to Pedders, who also seem to have more of a track set up than a drag set up. I was told to look at Pfadt's products so I called a rep and he recommended their stage 3 line for drag racers who still want to drive their car on the road. I will post more information as I gather it. Here's a link to Pfadt's website and info on the stage 3 kit. http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/186

Also Padre, I had a question about the wastegate application. Where exactly did you mount it and do you feel it helped and how exactly does it help? Does it allow the SC to boost quicker? I want to approach my builder/tuner with this if it will be advantageous in my build.

Ken
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #438
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
All I plan on doing is drag shocks and control arms for wheel hop. I pull 1.8's on stock tires. I feel like that will be a good start. Sometimes you can go overboard. Lowering mine is not in the plans.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #439
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
All I plan on doing is drag shocks and control arms for wheel hop. I pull 1.8's on stock tires. I feel like that will be a good start. Sometimes you can go overboard. Lowering mine is not in the plans.
Your 1/4 miles times are great for street tires. You will be in the 11's in no time.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #440
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Love it! With the wastegate mod, the boost comes on part throttle, so it approaches the part-throttle performance of roots superchargers (Maggie, Whipple), while benefiting from the top-end of the centrifugals (ProCharger). Since my focus is drag racing, this works great for me, plus it gives me a daily driver that scares the horses.

Padre
Thats a great little tidbit to know. I will have to look into that when I go to pull the trigger on mine.

Yeah the IAT is what was what had me shying away from the Roots style. However I love the look of a whipple But its Procharger or bust for my car.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #441
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
When I was talking to Jarrett at Pfadt racing today he said the stage three is perfect for this application and what makes the drag racing better are the Rear trailing arms and the solid rear subframe bushings. These items keep the power distributed evenly on launch and get rid of tire hop. The drop springs, sway bars and tie rods help the overall handling and ride of the car when you're doing normal driving. Unless you are going for full on Drag racing with your Camaro, this sounds like a pretty nice set-up. I'm going to do a little more checking but think I'm going to consider this package. Once I get the engine mods done, I'll run the car a few times to see what my 60' times are then add this package and see where I can improve. Probably start messing with tires after that.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #442
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:

Padre
PM me; We were discussing this today at my shop as we attempted this mod as well, you'll be interested in the analysis we did and comparison of charts.

Quote:
One of the other great benefits of this setup is the IATs. I decide against a roots style supercharger when I saw my GT500 nemesis at the track sitting for a half-hour between runs with ice on the intercooler.

With the Stage-II Intercooler, so far my IATs are great. I haven't tested it with heat soak at the track, but I anticipate it will be good.

Padre
The roots guys can't get their heads wrapped around this concept. Our centris never touch the engine so the heat doesn't transfer, and the air it sucks in is cooled before going into the engine. With lower compression as well (on a stroked / forged engine) we never have issues with IAT or knocking, no meth required.

Quote:

Padre
You're right on the money man, I can tell you really do your research and ask alot of questions, I do the same so kudos to you.

Anyone, who would tell me at this poing anything about using ZL1 parts on my SS, I'm out the door, and further if they start tellimg me about replacing my pump and getting a BAP, I'd ask them for a refund on anything they've done on my vehicle and put it back the way it was.
ZL1 parts are just that, ZL1 parts. Anyone who plans on doing any work on their SS's or ZL1's to 600rwhp. will have to rip out their pump, injectors, and perhaps even the rails to get a proper fuel system in there for any real power. The ZL1 pump is great for a ZL1 because the ZL1 makes a mere 550 or something HP, so that pump is fine.

If anyone says you need a ZL1 pump and a BAP on your D-1SC setup with 65# injector you better run, and run fast, real fast dude. Why do I say this? Because, you might as well use the extra $400 (BAP budget), for a serious Livernois, ADM or Aeromotive pump.

As for suspension you're right on the money. SPI has Full Pedders on their shop Camaro, it's a really awesome kit. But, it's made for amazing performance on a road course, most people don't realize a drag setup is totally different than a road course setup. My understanding of drag racing is the front end-links do you more harm on the drag strip, should just disconnect them, most have no idea on that. The end-links make the suspension and steering amazingly tight and very responsive, that's great on a road course but probably no benefit if going in a straight line and most likely hinders the results because you want the front to rise up so the back pushes down to get that added grip to lunge the vehicle forward.

My understanding (I may not be 100% right here) is that for drag you need to focus on the rear of the car (bushings, tie rods) and strength of the parts (DS, axles, tranny, diff., gears based on the power level you have), but for hotlaps you need to focus on the overall suspension and brake handling which includes the bushing, springs, tie rods, end-links, sways, disks, calipers, pads and you want it all to be adjustable so you can compensate for various tracks. As for drag tracks one may be a little stickier or rougher, but really you're just going in a straight line so you want a good alignment and you want the back to squat (eliminate spin, and wheel hop) into the track (so probably softer springs too).

Last edited by calbert1999; 02-11-2012 at 03:28 AM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote