Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Dealer playing game with my deposit

I was going to purchase a camaro through one of my local dealership and the vehicle had to be allocated 75 miles away. I made a $200 dollar deposit for them to go get the vehicle but did not sign not one single paper except for the credit papers to tell me if I was approved. On the day that the vehicle arrived I was suppose to sign the contract and do all of the official paper work but due to my not very honest sales person I ended up backing out at the last minute and basically just walked out of the dealership without even thinking that I had put down a $200 deposit. I called my sales guy that evening and asked him when I could come and get my deposit back and he said that he does not know if I can get my deposit back at this point and that I will have to talk to the manager. What type of BS is this!!?? Can they do this? I was just going to let it go and call it $200 lost but after thinking I feel like I got robbed and it does not seem right. This feel like a bad business to me. I spoke with another dealer and they told me to go and get my money. They said that no dealer are suppose to keep your deposit. What can I do about this if they still insist that they wont give me my deposit back?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: 2LT/RS, 6SPD, IOM, Blk Int
Sounds like a talk with another manager at that dealership is in order, to not only get your dep back but to let him know why you don't want to do business with them. I'm sure the dealership owner would like to hear as well...

"SURSUM AB ORDINE"

JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"

Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Just go back DEMAND your deposit back, and don't leave until you get it!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Get the manager in front of his computor, connect with this site and have him realize that we are thousands of members.....The dealership name could accidently pop out on a thread, who knows. Losing some reputation for $200.00, not worth it and you 'll have your money back. Good luck.
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
SS/RS NJ
Chevy/Buick Internet Mgr

Drives: 2SS/RS Victory Red
What exactly happened that made you change your mind?
A deposit should always be returned if the dealership didn’t live up to their end of the bargain, no question. For Example if price agreed upon changed, or the car is damaged, or it isn’t equipped properly.
You should first call the sales manager, and then the general manager to resolve the situation. If this doesn’t work then call Chevrolet customer service.
This may all be from a sales person making a mistake and being afraid to admit it to the manager. It doesn’t make it right but in this economy everyone is afraid of losing their job.
MTI Rear dovetail spoiler.
Replaced: 2010 Silver Ice A6 2SS/RS

Last edited by SS/RS NJ; 02-13-2011 at 08:10 AM.
SS/RS NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
mikey8

Drives: 2SS/RS Transformer LS3
What happened with the salesperson, to cause you to walk out?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Exclamation

Agreed. There is no reason why a deposit can't be refunded. You didn't order a car from manufacturer. However, with that said, there aren't enough details in your original post. Talk to General Manager and if that doesn't work, ask to speak to dealership owner if it is possible. Most dealers want their clients satisfied but if they are this screwy with sales then their service department is probably WORSE! Remember in any business the attitude at the bottom of the food chain is a direct reflection of those running it at the top!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

My sales guy at first was a very friendly guy that was suppose to give me a good deal and a man of his word. When I went there everything was good at first but the numbers was way off on the paper. The deal was suppose to be $20,985 after GM loyalty but on the paper he had marked up another $1500. I got kinda offended by his dis honesty but I held myself together and decided to work the deal with him even though on the paper was completely different from what he actually told me on the phone and in person to have me sold in the first place. To make the story short, he had an attitude after I confronted him about this BS and at one point he left me sitting waiting for him for almost an hour while he was dealing with another customer, I should of brought a whole lotta for all the BS. At the end I told him that I was not going to sign the paper and I was going to shop around a little more and just walked out without really hearing what he had to say because I got tired of hearing his BS.
I am glad that I made the choice to not deal with them because at the end I got a heck of a deal from sport chevy in silver spring MD with no BS and straight under invoice for RS package.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
I went thru this same scenario with my truck. The dealer lied about the price, and when I cancelled the deal they played dumb with my deposit (I also did not have a signed purchase agreement). The dealer is not entitled to hold your deposit.

Give the dealer one or two more opportunities to respond. If they do not, then consult your area's consumer affairs (A district attorney or attorney general for consumer business is better) or some cost effective legal advice. If the dealer still has not returned your money then (what I did) send a letter to the owner and demand the refund of your deposit within a certain time frame.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
~Stacy~

Drives: 10 camaro 13 cruze
Dealer Trouble

I would say your entitled to your money back. When I was purchasing my camaro the dealer just had a yellow SS on their lot. I didn't want it because I don't like yellow cars I only buy black It was out of my price range of $30,000 or less They found me a black 2LT in Green Bay. The first day they made sure I could get financed. Then a few days later I went in and signed the motor vehicle contract and put a $500 dollar payment down and then that following Monday I was taking delivery. If you didn't sign a motor vehicle contract you should be entitled to your money down. I'm not a car buying whiz but I have purchased and fianced 7 cars already and I never left any money down to the dealership till I signed my motor vehicle purchase contract?
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Contact a lawyer if this continues. Usually a call from a lawyer will change their mind ! Even if you signed a contract you still can get your down payment back if anything is not to your satisfaction. Don't waste your time getting angry just call a lawyer.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I thought about a lawyer but the cost for a lawyer to get back $200 does not look right. I guess I will give him a few more days and if he is still playing with my deposit than I will drive there in my new camaro and cause a scene in front of everyone including their customers until I do get my money back that day. This is just not right at all!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
they should give it back,but legally you are probably screwed without a receipt.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
My sales guy at first was a very friendly guy that was suppose to give me a good deal and a man of his word. When I went there everything was good at first but the numbers was way off on the paper. The deal was suppose to be $20,985 after GM loyalty but on the paper he had marked up another $1500. I got kinda offended by his dis honesty but I held myself together and decided to work the deal with him even though on the paper was completely different from what he actually told me on the phone and in person to have me sold in the first place. To make the story short, he had an attitude after I confronted him about this BS and at one point he left me sitting waiting for him for almost an hour while he was dealing with another customer, I should of brought a whole lotta for all the BS. At the end I told him that I was not going to sign the paper and I was going to shop around a little more and just walked out without really hearing what he had to say because I got tired of hearing his BS.
I am glad that I made the choice to not deal with them because at the end I got a heck of a deal from sport chevy in silver spring MD with no BS and straight under invoice for RS package.
Rule of thumb # if your sales guy has a suit and is telling you at the first 5 sentences that he is your friend and he is a man of is words RUN A DONT LOOK BACK
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
they should give it back,but legally you are probably screwed without a receipt.
I have the receipt. My dad always told me there's no difference between a "car sales man" and a "con man"
Old 02-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro
Have you talked to anybody else at the dealership besides the salesman about getting your deposit back?
CamarosThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I have the receipt. My dad always told me there's no difference between a "car sales man" and a "con man"

You've got that right, and you are never too old to learn something new. I thought I've seen it all until the last time I bought a new car; I couldn't believe that a dealer with a franchised name could run such a crooked business. What I did learn, however is....

1. Never sign on the line until you've either seen the car or the order, content and price is stated and agreed upon.
2. Never...ever...sign or agree to buy on the first trip or the first dealer. You've gotta shop.
3. You have the right to change your mind. With a signed agreement (look at the fineprint) there may be stipulations, so know what you're getting into before signing; If the details are unclear do not sign anything until everything's crystal clear.

You'll get your money; Just stay on their @sses until they relent!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Ok.. so I tried to talk to the sales guy and I just cant belive that he is even working for a dealership. All I can say is WOOOW!! He just plainly told me that " I am not dealing with peoples who dont buy cars" I cant belive the words thats coming out of his mouth! The good news is that I finally had a talk with the manager at the dealership and told him about the situation and he said that as long as I have the receipt that he will send me my deposit back through the mail, so I am suppose to fax him the receipt today so we will see how this play out. I had some bad dealers in my past shopping for cars but I never had to go through some BS like this. Guys, becareful when dealing with dealers please.. because some of them are just plain ol scammers period!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
in your situtation, you can get your deposit back.. but i know people who put down deposits, and they find a better deal/get lazy/change their mind about buying a car/etc and think they can get it back... the whole point of putting a deposit down is to show that youre serious about buying a car and making the dealer (or whoever) drive out to get something, spend time preparing the product, organizing paperwork, etc just to be left hanging at an expense...

i always say, when you go to a new restaurant, order an appetizer but dont order your main course (the waiter/waitress always pushes to get your entire order quickly) until you've tried the appetizer.. if the appetizer sucks, chances are the main course will suck.. so you're only out $8 or whatever instead of $30 and you can go somewhere else! this is the same priniciple with the deposit...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote