Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
Performance mod suggestions

Ok so i am planning on adding some mods to my v6 camaro this spring and I wanted to hear some suggestions. I'm looking at headers and some cold air intake so if you guys have any specific products please let me know. Thanks! I want a reasonable torque gain!
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
if you're going to spend money on increasing performance, maybe should think about trading in on an ss
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
BBK LT
Injen cai
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
if you're going to spend money on increasing performance, maybe should think about trading in on an ss
I just got it a week ago for a steal price so i would have to pay at least 6,000$++ for a ss
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarzabek009 View Post
I just got it a week ago for a steal price so i would have to pay at least 6,000$++ for a ss
start saving then, otherwise, modding the v6 is a waste of money. well, that what I think.
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Ok so i am planning on adding some mods to my v6 camaro this spring and I wanted to hear some suggestions. I'm looking at headers and some cold air intake so if you guys have any specific products please let me know. Thanks! I want a reasonable torque gain!
Intake, Exhaust, and headers are the three no brainers here in V6 land. You can install some gears to help with torque. Tune your car, it can help bring all the mods to their full potential. Get good rubbers, for better grip. More grip means more G off the line (more torque kicking you in your balls). Lighten the car. Improve suspension so you can put ALL of your power onto the pavement without wheel hop, and lower center of gravity. Spoiler and splitter to keep your car pushed into the ground for better grip, but increase some drag. If you got the cash later on, you can start adding forced induction. Nitrous kits are a good way to go. You can research your turbos and twin turbos as well. =D Lots of stuff you can do. Every little bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreako View Post
start saving then, otherwise, modding the v6 is a waste of money. well, that what I think.
I think I lol'd at one of your threads.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
INJEN and MRT 2.0 axle back exhaust.

It will never be a V8, but it will certainly be a FUN V6.

If I wanted nothing but fast at the track I would have built a race car.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Whats in my sig. Longtubes for more pwer but here I have the smog nazi's to worry about.Then you need to buy the right axelback or catback as you have to be sure of the sound you like as combos all sound different
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2005 GTO
Quote:
I would definitely recommend a set of long tube headers, an intake and a tune for your car. The V6's are actually becoming quite popular to mod and they perform extremely well.

Here is a thread about our ARH headers for the V6 Camaro. On the last page you will see a dyno sheet posted by Devildoc. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59887
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Again. Go outside with the hammer....
Sell your v6, please, so I don't have to hear your beotchin'.
And that's what I think.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
jroc7

Drives: *
What's with the V6 hating? Not everyone can afford the premium on the V6 or don't like all the electronic complications. I hope the new ZL1 owners stick their noses up at some of these SS owners they way they do at the V6 owners. If you want to be a snob, buy a BMW or a Mercedes. The word "Camaro" means friend, not stuck up prick. I could afford a V6 and mod the crap out of it for less than a SS. SS models usually look cookie cutter, so I got a base V6, didn't waste the money on the RS crap, and did my own thing, and I get a lot of compliments from SS owners who want to know how I did it all and can't believe how little money I've had to spend. I'm doing an exhaust and some interior asthetic mods this spring. I agree that intake and exhaust are a great way to start and won't even affect your warranty if you're careful.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Amen! God bless the V6 =D
Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
I have an idea, the OP asked about the v6. So how about talk about that, or nothing? Sound like a plan? I think there are more than enough threads about v6/v8 that you can post in, if you really wanted to...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
My thoughts: Go Injen for best performing intake, otherwise if your not comfortable with the Injen long tube CAI (because of its more difficult instal or where the filter sits) then do some research into a traditional box CAI....OR wait for results for the ne Vararam intake.

BBK long tube headers will also make a noticable increase, but be sure to combine that with an exhaust that will not be too crazy loud, unless you like it that way!

Tune won't be required but thats up to you. You'd be looking at an addition 400 - 600 bucks, and who knows about the warranty after that.

Don't expect the car to be an all new monster after that, but the car will more enjoyable and more fun to drive! Everyone loves doing a little customization to their baby!
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
the v6 IS worth modding, there are a few in the 12's rod is SOOOOOO close to 11's if you just want to make it alittle faster intake, exhaust, headers and a tune if you wanna shoot for low 13's or better go with nitrous or a turbo (nitrous if your broke like me)
www.lonestarcamaro.com
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: The Sassiest V6 in the South!
Quote:
Posts like this are GETTING OLD. GROW UP.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
NOVAK

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Summit White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
Posts like this are GETTING OLD. GROW UP.
NOVAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
OK, I will agree to a certian extent. The V6 isnt "worth" modding BECAUSE its already SO FREAKING EFFICIENT your horsepower per dollar isnt very good. a 312 hp 3.6L is KICK ASS! Can you mod it... heck yes. Can you get some more power... sure. Is it going to be cost effective... only you can answer that.

Lets not bash a V6 just b/c its 2 less cylinders. And lets be realisitc... we mod b/c we want to, not b/c its cost effective! Mod away, have fun, listen to other V6ers. There are some hopped up V6s out there. Will it ever be a V8... no but lets not beat that horse anymore. If GM stopped making the V6, the V8 would die VERY fast too!

Lets all ge along!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
OK, I will agree to a certian extent. The V6 isnt "worth" modding BECAUSE its already SO FREAKING EFFICIENT your horsepower per dollar isnt very good. a 312 hp 3.6L is KICK ASS! Can you mod it... heck yes. Can you get some more power... sure. Is it going to be cost effective... only you can answer that.

Lets not bash a V6 just b/c its 2 less cylinders. And lets be realisitc... we mod b/c we want to, not b/c its cost effective! Mod away, have fun, listen to other V6ers. There are some hopped up V6s out there. Will it ever be a V8... no but lets not beat that horse anymore. If GM stopped making the V6, the V8 would die VERY fast too!

Lets all ge along!
And hp/cubic in the 6 is more powerful then the ls series v8, stock or mods.Just more efficient and more modern design.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #20
tyme

Drives: 2011
There's a more appropriate thread to discuss this in, the OP was looking for information on increasing his V6's performance, not anyones opinion on V6 vs V8.

to the OP: start with basics. bolt ons, gears (you will "feel" this more than anything else you could do*), and a tune. You will have a much more efficient car after those three, but then cost:gain ratio changes dramatically at this point.

* some exceptions. obviously.
tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
victoryredRS

Drives: Victory Red 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Intake, Exhaust, and headers are the three no brainers here in V6 land. You can install some gears to help with torque. Tune your car, it can help bring all the mods to their full potential. Get good rubbers, for better grip. More grip means more G off the line (more torque kicking you in your balls). Lighten the car. Improve suspension so you can put ALL of your power onto the pavement without wheel hop, and lower center of gravity. Spoiler and splitter to keep your car pushed into the ground for better grip, but increase some drag. If you got the cash later on, you can start adding forced induction. Nitrous kits are a good way to go. You can research your turbos and twin turbos as well. =D Lots of stuff you can do. Every little bit helps.

I think I lol'd at one of your threads.
i think that camarofreako or whatever is still pissed cuz he got a CEL for putting headers but didnt want to tune it to get rid of the CEL. chill dude i love my v6 and plan to mod it and even in the future put a turbo if i safe enough i know its gonna be cheaper to trade it in for an SS but i dont care.
victoryredRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Here what I'm going to do when the money comes in

SLP CAI
Doug Thorely Shorties
GMPP Performance Exhaust (These top three can get you to high 13's)
Torque Converter(Possibly) (This might bet you to the mid 13's)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post

Lets all ge along!
I always knew I liked you.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post

SLP CAI
Doug Thorely Shorties
INJEN and MRT 2.0 with stock 19" Pirellis can get you 13.783 @ 103.40

As long as you have good ol Michigan cold air to suck on....
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurdib View Post

SLP CAI
Doug Thorely Shorties
I'm looking into a torque converter as well. There is a gentlemen on this site selling one for the V6. Circle D also said if I wanted they would look at my car and build one if the one for the 6l80 didn't look compatable.