Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Where are the good local shops?

Please dont say Tim in frederick as I am not going to drive all the way there with my only daily driver. I am looking for a good reputable mechanic or a shop that can do some installs for my future needs. I have a guy here local that said he will do gear install for $300 but I dont know how well he can perform on a new camaro. He is just a local neighborhood mechanic with his own shop. Anyone know of any that are knowledgeable with our new camaro around baltimore and anne arundel county? and of course someone with good price.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Pata's garage in beltsville is the closest one to you that I know of...hope that helps
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
I depends on where you're located and what kind of mods you are thinking. Brian at Pharro Performance in Abbottstown, PA would do some good work. A few guys on the LS1 boards really believe in his work, he's also been a GM mechanic and specializes in LSx powered cars. Your best bet would be to find some stand up car guys and ask for some opinions. There's a bunch of knuckleheads out there but there's also some guys that do some top notch work, and really take pride in the work they do as well.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Frans402

Drives: camaro
Race Proven Motorsports in Claymont del.
Frans402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Pata's garage in beltsville is the closest one to you that I know of...hope that helps

is he familiar with our cars or is he just a guy who does random install? I am mainly looking for someone who can install 3.73 gears for me for my manual v6. I cant really go too far like PA or DE since this is my daily driver. I need someone near anne arundel county or baltimore area. I have my local guy who did couple older 8.8 rear axle mustangs but never touched a 5th gen camaro that said he will install the gear for me for 300 bucks but dont know if I should let him. How different is the gear on a mustang vs our camaro?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Boxer4PSI

Drives: 2010 "Bumblebee" Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
is he familiar with our cars or is he just a guy who does random install? I am mainly looking for someone who can install 3.73 gears for me for my manual v6. I cant really go too far like PA or DE since this is my daily driver. I need someone near anne arundel county or baltimore area. I have my local guy who did couple older 8.8 rear axle mustangs but never touched a 5th gen camaro that said he will install the gear for me for 300 bucks but dont know if I should let him. How different is the gear on a mustang vs our camaro?
You may have some luck searching for Baltimore/AA County shops that have experience working on Pontiac G8s. I believe the new Camaros share some similarities with the G8, but I have no idea if the similarities include such details like the same rear axles and such.
Boxer4PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Corvette Performance Center 8014 Philadelphia Road, Rosedale, MD 21237-2622 (410) 866-3400 ‎

This place always has a mess of Corvettes out there, might call them and see if they can help you.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I don't know, I use Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD. I just gave you a geographic reference like you asked for. I've heard other members have taken their Camaros to Pata's...I'd suggest looking him up, calling and asking....I grilled Tony on his experience before I took mine to
him....they are a one stop performance shop but a little further away from you.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote