Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

View Poll Results: Do you still want Z28?
I'll take Z28 over ZL1 any day! 67 29.39%
Nah - ZL1 suits me just fine 120 52.63%
I'll wait for Z28 until the 6th Generation comes out 41 17.98%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Unique Auto Depot

 
Unique Auto Depot's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2010
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,205
I don't care what they call it as long as I get more POWER !!!!!!!!! I'm all in LOL
Unique Auto Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You know, I've been thinking......they did extensive aerodynamic and handling modifications to the Camaro when they created the ZL1....

While I like to entertain the thought that there will be a Z28 produced.....I can't help but look at the ZL1 as a Camaro with all the handling prowess we're looking for in a Z28...and then they went and added a metric crap-ton of power on top...


I wonder (this is PURELY speculation)....

What if the ZL1 can out-handle a Boss? Would anybody feel the need for a Z28 competitor for reasons other than to see the name return?

The main reason a Z28 would be brought into production is Grand Am. Grand Am has rules and cars like the Boss 302, M3 and maybe someday the Z28 are built specifically for that task. Sure the GT500 and ZL1s can run a road course faster than the Boss and Z28 will... for a couple of laps, then heat soak, non-racing pads and just overall endurance will wear the brutes out. Hell, even fuel will become an issue eventually... I'm not sure the ZL1 or the GT500 can "out-handle" the RR's, generating Gs and braking would most likely go to the lighter cars but exits would be easier with the large amount out torque the S/Cs provide.

I view the SCCA/NASA and Grand Am spec'd cars as thoroughbreds, put on this planet for one reason, to push the envelope. If Grand Am wouldn't set the rules then the richest man would win and everybody would drive GT500's and ZL1s. The new Boss was built from Multimatics Grand Am Boss 302R that ran every race last year, the GT500 was tested on a closed track... behind a curtain... to do showroom battle as a Halo car... and thats what the ZL1 is... The ZL1 will never be road raced...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The ZL1 will never be road raced...
???? *raised eyebrows*

Maybe not in competition.....but then neither will any factory car these days. Even the CTS-V had significant bodywork done to meet series-specs.

ZL1 should be most competent on a Road Course....moreso than many might thing. But I'm going to take a bit of my own advise and stop there until we know what the numbers are for sure.


EDIT: I just realized this underlies the whole reason I want a ZL1....competition road-race-ready cars are of no interest to me where purchase is concerned. I'll stop before I stick my foot in my mouth...

The theoretical question still stands...if a ZL1 out-handle the Boss and out-perform the GT500...would anybody still really want another Camaro variant?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #29
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 930
The theoretical question still stands...if a ZL1 out-handle the Boss and out-perform the GT500...would anybody still really want another Camaro variant?

Ummm yes, I think that we all know the answer for that...the Z/28 would sell on just namesake alone, but I am sure that GM wouldn't release one unless it met "our" standards. Besides most people like what they see but can only buy what they can afford. If the ZL1 comes in at 47 grand then there is a lot of wiggle room in between that and the SS. Its up to those who want what part of what in a car. The Corvette has several trim levels but all in all its a Corvette, a class all to itself...a person purchases one because they can afford to and they feel like an eliete group. Those that truly have a need for speed and handling buy the ZR1
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #30
y2k king

 
y2k king's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: spring hill, fl
Posts: 1,712
i'm good with a 11' ss...way too early to be thinkin about something more expensive.
i'd love to be thinkin about either z, but on retirement ya gotta save for your toys.
__________________
10/28/2010 got it
y2k king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #31
Camaro_h
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KWT
Posts: 2,536
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_h
To decide on such question... personally, i need to be in both the ZL-1 and Z28.. then I'll know which to prefer.

From what i can analyze now, I'd go for the ZL-1!
Camaro_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #32
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,087
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
If the Z28 turns out to be a track car like some have suggested with the back seat removed, lightened glass, adjustable coil overs, sound deadening removed and a NA engine, that is not what I would be looking for. For me, the ZL1 has 99% of what I was looking and hoping for in the car. I have absolutely no plans to race the car other than occasional drag strip outing and maybe a couple of local parking lot auto crosses. The majority of the time will be spent going from place to place in comfort and wreaking havoc on Mustangs and Challengers. Team Camaro built the perfect car for me. To make it 100% they only have to add a Heritage Grill, Sunroof and black out the chrome around the tail lights. Even if they do not make these changes, how often can you buy a car that meets 99% of your expectations?
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
ZL1 would have to be revolutionary to out-handle the Boss. Face it - the Boss is simple - low weight, great power, relatively simple chassis tuning. ZL1 is going to weigh several hundred pounds more (I seriously feel like it will - no biggie), but a more advanced chassis, and more power. I believe GM is taking handling very seriously; look how they simply relocated the rear swaybar link points on the lower control arms. If ZL1 could beat a Boss; I don't really think Z28 will come.

I maintain that I don't think ZL1 will out-handle a Boss, though - it's just physics to me, and though that can largely be overcome with technology, but technology costs money, and I really don't think GM wants to get too close to CTS-V in price, because I think they want to keep it a good value for CAMARO-guys and gals.

I AM surprised to see what seems like a lack of either support or interest in Z28 now. If this interest is accurate on the whole, perhaps the Boss won't be successful, so why would we need Z28 if it's not going to sell well? All I know is, I want Z28 in the line-up, and I want it to do the name justice. I'd be disappointed to learn ZL1 took it's place only to have pushed it out of the 5th Generation because there wasn't significant enough competition (not relative to performance - only in interest and relevance). I'm surprised at some of the reactions...

Hmm...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
If the Z28 turns out to be a track car like some have suggested with the back seat removed, lightened glass, adjustable coil overs, sound deadening removed and a NA engine, that is not what I would be looking for. For me, the ZL1 has 99% of what I was looking and hoping for in the car. I have absolutely no plans to race the car other than occasional drag strip outing and maybe a couple of local parking lot auto crosses. The majority of the time will be spent going from place to place in comfort and wreaking havoc on Mustangs and Challengers. Team Camaro built the perfect car for me. To make it 100% they only have to add a Heritage Grill, Sunroof and black out the chrome around the tail lights. Even if they do not make these changes, how often can you buy a car that meets 99% of your expectations?
I still wish ZL1 was Z28...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #35
91Z28350
 
Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Roanoke,TX
Posts: 657
LOL, as someone who grew up with the L78 SS 396 as their first introduction to Camaros, I am glad that the new uber Camaro is a ZL1.

Z28 has it's place, and I hope they make it as a true successor to the original mission of the Z28.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
ZL1 would have to be revolutionary to out-handle the Boss. Face it - the Boss is simple - low weight, great power, relatively simple chassis tuning. ZL1 is going to weigh several hundred pounds more (I seriously feel like it will - no biggie), but a more advanced chassis, and more power. I believe GM is taking handling very seriously; look how they simply relocated the rear swaybar link points on the lower control arms. If ZL1 could beat a Boss; I don't really think Z28 will come.

I maintain that I don't think ZL1 will out-handle a Boss, though - it's just physics to me, and though that can largely be overcome with technology, but technology costs money, and I really don't think GM wants to get too close to CTS-V in price, because I think they want to keep it a good value for CAMARO-guys and gals.
I don't think it's a realistic expectation, either...but I'm not shocked-and-awed like some are with the Boss....like you said...it's very simple. Several of our suspension vendors have modified SS Camaros into out-handling Ford's newest entry already...I like to think with Mag Ride, a suspension overhaul, and wider tires...GM could get close enough to make it sweat, despite a clear weight advantage. Remember....the ZL1 was designed to excell on both a road course and the drag strip -- not one or the other. HOW well it does...I guess we'll need to wait and see, but I like toying with the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I AM surprised to see what seems like a lack of either support or interest in Z28 now. If this interest is accurate on the whole, perhaps the Boss won't be successful, so why would we need Z28 if it's not going to sell well? All I know is, I want Z28 in the line-up, and I want it to do the name justice. I'd be disappointed to learn ZL1 took it's place only to have pushed it out of the 5th Generation because there wasn't significant enough competition (not relative to performance - only in interest and relevance). I'm surprised at some of the reactions...

Hmm...
I don't think the Boss will be successful at all...if it's measure is sales. It's an impractical car, people don't want "strippers" anymore...and I'm sure it's not going to feel all that great on imperfect roads if it's set up for race-duty. But it's got a name out there, and its got performance junkies who'd probably never consider buying a car like that drooling over the thought of what it can do......

Does it matter to Ford it's not going to sell amazingly well? Probably not...the Mustang has already paid for itself in large part (The S197 chassis has been around since the early 2000s), and they don't need to support a line of Corvette's or V-series Cadillacs, so they can do whatever they want without really worrying too much about the business case.

By extension...I don't see the need for a CAR like that from Chevy (That's separate from the fact I'd like to see the name Z28 return).....


Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I still wish ZL1 was Z28...
I don't....not anymore. The more I think about it...the more it "fits" just right with what this car represents.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #37
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,087
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I still wish ZL1 was Z28...
No one wanted the new car to be named Z28 more than I. It was the one car that I never owned but told myself that some day I would. In the end Team Camaro built the car exactly the way I hoped they would and even added some things that I never thought that they would. So although it will not be named Z28, it will be a phenomenal car nevertheless. This will be my first Camaro after a long history of owning Corvettes, Chevelles and Novas and it just happens to be named ZL1 instead of Z28. I was sad for a few moments but when I realized what a fantastic car Chevy had built, the sadness passed very quickly. The name ZL1 will be just fine with me.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I don't think it's a realistic expectation, either...but I'm not shocked-and-awed like some are with the Boss....like you said...it's very simple. Several of our suspension vendors have modified SS Camaros into out-handling Ford's newest entry already...I like to think with Mag Ride, a suspension overhaul, and wider tires...GM could get close enough to make it sweat, despite a clear weight advantage. Remember....the ZL1 was designed to excell on both a road course and the drag strip -- not one or the other. HOW well it does...I guess we'll need to wait and see, but I like toying with the idea.

I don't think the Boss will be successful at all...if it's measure is sales. It's an impractical car, people don't want "strippers" anymore...and I'm sure it's not going to feel all that great on imperfect roads if it's set up for race-duty. But it's got a name out there, and its got performance junkies who'd probably never consider buying a car like that drooling over the thought of what it can do......

Does it matter to Ford it's not going to sell amazingly well? Probably not...the Mustang has already paid for itself in large part (The S197 chassis has been around since the early 2000s), and they don't need to support a line of Corvette's or V-series Cadillacs, so they can do whatever they want without really worrying too much about the business case.

By extension...I don't see the need for a CAR like that from Chevy (That's separate from the fact I'd like to see the name Z28 return).....

I don't....not anymore. The more I think about it...the more it "fits" just right with what this car represents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
No one wanted the new car to be named Z28 more than I. It was the one car that I never owned but told myself that some day I would. In the end Team Camaro built the car exactly the way I hoped they would and even added some things that I never thought that they would. So although it will not be named Z28, it will be a phenomenal car nevertheless. This will be my first Camaro after a long history of owning Corvettes, Chevelles and Novas and it just happens to be named ZL1 instead of Z28. I was sad for a few moments but when I realized what a fantastic car Chevy had built, the sadness passed very quickly. The name ZL1 will be just fine with me.
I can't say I disagree with hardly any of these points, lol. My signature agrees
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #39
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl
 
CamaroSkooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,684
Maybe GM could just introduce a Z28 RPO Code and not tell anybody about it like back in '67
__________________

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Basically, I think the Z28 should be the most powerful Camaro without a supercharger,
that can be produced. They have to be able to be enjoyed on the road, and compete at the track, with
AUTOMATIC & MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AVAILABLE...PERIOD, END OF STORY!


I think Z/28 drivers will want to maintain normal ride pleasure instead of being a bare bones roll barred noisy monster! I agree the main distinction will be the supercharger delete latest technology engine (DI) on the lighter Alpha. Can't quite see them gutting it for pounds. The original Z28 was not a GUTTED Camaro.

ZL1 is my dream car. Absolutely. Z28 will be awesome in strongest way and in ways possibly not seen in ZL1, but ZL1 will likely remain the Living Legend.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #41
Darkflow
 
Darkflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You know, I've been thinking......they did extensive aerodynamic and handling modifications to the Camaro when they created the ZL1....

While I like to entertain the thought that there will be a Z28 produced.....I can't help but look at the ZL1 as a Camaro with all the handling prowess we're looking for in a Z28...and then they went and added a metric crap-ton of power on top...


I wonder (this is PURELY speculation)....

What if the ZL1 can out-handle a Boss? Would anybody feel the need for a Z28 competitor for reasons other than to see the name return?
Another thing to consider is, how long is the Boss 302 going to be around? We dont know Fords plans with the Boss, may be in production for just a few yrs. The Mach 1 was only done for 2 yrs. Then they began there new style body's (05-10's). Z28 ressurrection may come around but at the same time, the Boss may already be gone or on its last year. Just something to think about....

The Boss 302 has 2 different versions as well, the regular Boss 302 and the Boss LS "Laguna Seca". The LS being the stripped down track version and the regular Boss being, i guess you could say a better version of the 5.0 Gt. Performance wise, both are the same. GM might want to think about doing this as well or making 1 version capable of being both. Honestly though, i think a Z28 will only happen if the ZL1 sells well.
__________________
2002 35th Anniv. Chevrolet Camaro SS# 4784 LE# 2117

Last edited by Darkflow; 02-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Darkflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflow View Post
Another thing to consider is, how long is the Boss 302 going to be around? We dont know Fords plans with the Boss, may be in production for just a few yrs. The Mach 1 was only done for 2 yrs. Then they began there new style body's (05-10's). Z28 ressurrection may come around but at the same time, the Boss may already be gone or on its last year. Just something to think about....

The Boss 302 has 2 different versions as well, the regular Boss 302 and the Boss LS "Laguna Seca". The LS being the stripped down track version and the regular Boss being, i guess you could say a better version of the 5.0 Gt. Performance wise, both are the same. GM might want to think about doing this as well or making 1 version capable of being both. Honestly though, i think a Z28 will only happen if the ZL1 sells well.
All good points. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The great part about all of this is that....there is an "all of this". So long as the rest of these companies do well (the trucks and 'regular' cars)...we'll have our performance.

If it's priced right...I'm confident the ZL1 will simply FLY off the lots (and not just due to its insane performance-capabilities )!!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #43
Darkflow
 
Darkflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 90
I agree with you there, all of us performance enthusiasts are winning in the end. Each company seems to be delivering the best they can at this point in time.
__________________
2002 35th Anniv. Chevrolet Camaro SS# 4784 LE# 2117
Darkflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #44
SilverTurtle
Reality Check Specialist
 
SilverTurtle's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 Z28, 2012 45th SS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,723
Send a message via AIM to SilverTurtle Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurtle
how about modifying the poll a bit to add a "I'd like to see both" option... because while I think I'm more interested in a ZL1, if there was a Z28 'vert, that could easily sway me to the Z28.

I'm all for the ZL1 being a hardtop, manual only car... and then there being a Z28 between the SS and ZL1 and it being offered as a coupe and a 'vert, with there being a manual and automatic transmission.

although, as I write this, the current state of affairs at the "other" camp is to have a top of the line available in coupe and convertible, the lighter, less powerful car offered only as a coupe, and then everything else being offered with all options... so a ZL1 'vert with an automatic would pretty much steal the market for those that wanted high horsepower and ease of driving... and any extra sale of a car like that just makes the price of building it that much lower overall.

either way, I'd like to see both trim levels offered.
__________________
got tequila?
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #45
SIXJAK


 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 2,558
The ZL1 IMO is the right name for that car. That said they should bring the Z28 back. But it needs to come back with the same goal and direction the first one had.

IMO it needs to have either a potent 5.0L alluminum V8 or a FI 3.6 V6 putting down around 450 WHP. The car needs to be a track beast. And if happens to run low 12's-high 11's at the other track, so be it.

I doubt it's possible with this platform to get under the Mustang's weight and still have a car with competive creature comforts but it should be feasable to get within 50-100 lbs without breaking the bank.

It would break with tradition by not using a V8 but given the current threat of rising oil prices, it might be the better choice and my personal preference.. I know I know. I'm in the minority but hear me out.

I'm just spitballing here but maybe make the Z28 the top of the range for the 3.6 motor and introduce an introductory V8. So you have LS, 1LT and Z28 with the Z28 truly showcasing the power potential of the LLT 3.6 L motor along with significant weight savings and superior weight distribution. Not only could it slay the BOSS but it could top the 370Z, G37, Genesis coupe, all 1 and 3 series even the M's.

For the V8 range you have 2LT, SS, ZL1 which is of course the ultimate expression of the V8 platform and let Ford, ChryCo and even NISSAN with it's GTR choke on that as well as tools piloting their AMG's and Ferarri's.

Make the RS package available on the 1LT the 2LT and the SS models which would include the outside appearance package, the gage cluster inside and an upscale stereo. I think it would also be cool to have a more understated V8 without the mailslot. Let that be an SS only item.

Let the flaming begin....
__________________
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #46
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"
 
SQUALO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: York Region, Ontario
Posts: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
The ZL1 IMO is the right name for that car. That said they should bring the Z28 back. But it needs to come back with the same goal and direction the first one had.

IMO it needs to have either a potent 5.0L alluminum V8 or a FI 3.6 V6 putting down around 450 WHP. The car needs to be a track beast. And if happens to run low 12's-high 11's at the other track, so be it.

I doubt it's possible with this platform to get under the Mustang's weight and still have a car with competive creature comforts but it should be feasable to get within 50-100 lbs without breaking the bank.

It would break with tradition by not using a V8 but given the current threat of rising oil prices, it might be the better choice and my personal preference.. I know I know. I'm in the minority but hear me out.

I'm just spitballing here but maybe make the Z28 the top of the range for the 3.6 motor and introduce an introductory V8. So you have LS, 1LT and Z28 with the Z28 truly showcasing the power potential of the LLT 3.6 L motor along with significant weight savings and superior weight distribution. Not only could it slay the BOSS but it could top the 370Z, G37, Genesis coupe, all 1 and 3 series even the M's.

For the V8 range you have 2LT, SS, ZL1 which is of course the ultimate expression of the V8 platform and let Ford, ChryCo and even NISSAN with it's GTR choke on that as well as tools piloting their AMG's and Ferarri's.

Make the RS package available on the 1LT the 2LT and the SS models which would include the outside appearance package, the gage cluster inside and an upscale stereo. I think it would also be cool to have a more understated V8 without the mailslot. Let that be an SS only item.

Let the flaming begin....
100+ % I hope GM is listening. (Calling GM, are you there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?)
I have to admit I never thought of a high performance V6, but that works for me too...it's all about the HP in the end.
__________________
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #47
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,087
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
The car that GM built for Jay Leno was a 425HP twin turbo V-6 that Leno said should be the next Z28. This is something that will appeal to some people I am sure but it is not what I was looking for in my Camaro. I do not know what weight savings the TT V-6 would give you over the LSA but it might be enough to make a 200 pound diference and really change the front/rear weight distribution. I really do not see Chevy selling a stripped version of the Camaro to compete with the Laguna Seca Mustang. The SSX will most likey be the answer to that model. The Boss 302 will have all of the comfort ammenities of the GT with better engine and suspension. Without any numbers being posted yet I will give the ZL1 the benefit of the doubt and say that it can hang with the Boss until I am proven wrong. The S/C ZL1 is exactly what I wanted and I would not have been interested in a TT V-6 even if it was called Z28.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #48
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,087
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I can't say I disagree with hardly any of these points, lol. My signature agrees
Thanks Chuck, I still owe you a drink.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
Blown355
 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 683
GM, if you're listening. PLEASE don't give me a new Z28 with two cylinders missing!!!
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1092
Black on Black
10 spoke
M6
ECF

Mods: 9.55 lower pulley, Kooks LT w/cats, FIC850's, CAI
"Race" Tune - 645rwhp/635rwtq
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #50
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
GM, if you're listening. PLEASE don't give me a new Z28 with two cylinders missing!!!
Absolutely!! I'm right there with you on that one.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 38 02-17-2012 12:45 AM
Now that the ZL1 is out, what do you want the Z28 to be? Hylton Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 203 05-11-2011 08:50 AM
5th gen vs 4th gen JCO2185 Chevy Camaro vs... 158 07-26-2010 08:16 AM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 12:30 PM
ZL1 Camaro 94blackcamaroz28 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 57 07-10-2008 11:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.