Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
hairtrigger
 
Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West
Posts: 669
ZL1 Strut tower brace

Ever since I saw the first pics of the brace under the hood, I've bounced back and forth between "eye candy, probably not needed" and "jeez maybe the MRC and big tires are going to pull enough lateral G's to need it".

I seem to remember Pedders saying in the forums on this site that they make a brace for the Mustang but not the 5th Gen Camaro because in their opinion it doesn't need one due to chassis ridgidity.

Any thoughts, comments, rumors or guesses?
__________________
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
BlemsBumble
 
BlemsBumble's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Clovis CA
Posts: 457
When it first appeared on the convertible it made sense. I was surprised to see it on the ZL1. It's more weight, so it must serve a function.
__________________
BlemsBumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Fishdadddy

 
Fishdadddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,268
Funny thing? Went to the Cadillac dealer to buy the wifes new CTS last week. They have strut tower braces on all of their cars? Even the wagons? What's up with that?
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Ever since I saw the first pics of the brace under the hood, I've bounced back and forth between "eye candy, probably not needed" and "jeez maybe the MRC and big tires are going to pull enough lateral G's to need it".

I seem to remember Pedders saying in the forums on this site that they make a brace for the Mustang but not the 5th Gen Camaro because in their opinion it doesn't need one due to chassis ridgidity.

Any thoughts, comments, rumors or guesses?
I remember the comments you mention and I also remember comments from another vendor with a video where they actually show strut tower movement while driving. While I don't know, necessarily that the STB is required, being it looks aluminum, it's not a lot of weight, and given the extra weight and mass of ZL1, not to mention it's higher stock capabilities, I'm certainly in favor of the STB. I'm glad it polished; if it stays into production, I think it's eye candy, just like that LSA
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,365
Me love eye candy!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,032
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Well, it would probably help. How much would it help (or is it even needed)? I have no clue.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
macwest

 
Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oakley - Northern California
Posts: 840
Pfadt makes a strut tower brace. So does hotchkins and peddlers either is in the process or has one out. From what I have read it helps with handling by keeping the towers from flexing under heavy load.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Pfadt makes a strut tower brace. So does hotchkins and peddlers either is in the process or has one out. From what I have read it helps with handling by keeping the towers from flexing under heavy load.
I haven't read anything about Pedders making an annoucement about developing one. I believe I remember them commenting on the fact the front apron area and strut tower areas are pretty different between G8s (and the Auzzie counterparts) and that CAMARO's was significantly more stout, but don't recall them saying it was necessary until you're building a race car - which they say they don't.

Anyhoow - I'm sure ZL1's is going to be functional and it certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Hopefully - with some nutzerts, or the like, that bar can trickle to SSs and V6s out there for those who might be interested. I know that sheetmetal is thick and tough in that area, but I'm sure it'd be a nice edition
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
CC Performance
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ST Helens, OR
Posts: 1,777
stb's have been 50/50 for a long time. Some cars like fwd need them and you can feel a difference in the handling with them on it. I'm not sure about the Camaro's though. I dont have one but I do have every other suspension mod under the sun on my Camaro.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Revo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Me love eye candy!!!
A couple extra lbs maybe, but I'm sure it's lightweight and besides, anything you lose on weight you gain triple that in WOW factor
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
KarFan
 
KarFan's Avatar
 
Drives: CARS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 474
GM isn't going to waste development time and cost on a part like a STB if it wasn't needed. If that was the case they would have just thrown one on the SS. The performance of the ZL1 must warrant it.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
GM isn't going to waste development time and cost on a part like a STB if it wasn't needed. If that was the case they would have just thrown one on the SS. The performance of the ZL1 must warrant it.
Great point. I can see it, without thinking about it, for the ragtop, so ZL1 must see some benefit from it.

Excellent point!
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
The strut tower brace does help with handling, anything that increases chassis stability like sub frame connectors and even down to the sway bars. I don't see it weighing that much, maybe 10lbs but it is worth its weight...

I would like to see the bottom of the Convertible's improved chassis treatment if anybody has a picture. The vert has several under-body braces that are basically bolt on and could be applied to the coupe. I am willing to bet that some of those bolt-ons will find their way to the ZL1.

As in the transmission support reinforcement brace, underbody tunnel brace and especially the front and rear underbody "V" braces.. The "V" braces are my bet but it wouldn't surprise me to see the other two as well...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The strut tower brace does help with handling, anything that increases chassis stability like sub frame connectors and even down to the sway bars. I don't see it weighing that much, maybe 10lbs but it is worth its weight...

I would like to see the bottom of the Convertible's improved chassis treatment if anybody has a picture. The vert has several under-body braces that are basically bolt on and could be applied to the coupe. I am willing to bet that some of those bolt-ons will find their way to the ZL1.

As in the transmission support reinforcement brace, underbody tunnel brace and especially the front and rear underbody "V" braces.. The "V" braces are my bet but it wouldn't surprise me to see the other two as well...
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

Do you work at a dealer?

I can't see your image, but I'm sure it's fair to say that I appreciate what you posted
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Do you work at a dealer?

I can't see your image, but I'm sure it's fair to say that I appreciate what you posted
No but I have all three manuals in PDF form.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
No but I have all three manuals in PDF form.
Did you pay for those and if not, would you mind sharing where you obtained them? I've been interested in service and parts manuals If not, I completely understand

-Chuck
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Did you pay for those and if not, would you mind sharing where you obtained them? I've been interested in service and parts manuals If not, I completely understand

-Chuck
Well the person whom I obtained them from no longer sells them. There would probably be copyright issues if he did.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well the person whom I obtained them from no longer sells them. There would probably be copyright issues if he did.
That's what I was affraid of and I completely understand
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

Awesome!!! That is even better than a photo, you can see everything very clearly. Seeing the "V" braces and the transmission support now, I would say that it looks like a very lightweight solution to chassis flex. If they can get a convertible just as stable as a coupe by adding additional supports (pictured above) then imagine the stiffness of a coupe with the same treatment. Although the convertible does have an additional third layer between the frame rails that the coupe uses, that would be unnecessary to use in the coupe/ZL1. The braces in this picture can be easily bolted on the underside and look like they really tie the chassis together... If we could get a confirmation from "someone that is in the know" that would be awesome...

Thanks again Snake, that pic is better than what I hoped for. It clearly illustrates the braces and shows how the convertible was able to remain solid without the roof supporting the vehicle... The simplicity, low cost and low weight of the braces could very well see the ZL1 adopting those pieces...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
I wouldn't be surprised NOT to see additional bracing (except the STB we've already seen) under ZL1. There are a few of our Communities' Sponsors that don't believe SFCs are even necessary; one of which is a hard-core racing company (the other doesn't make race parts, they say; they make street parts you can race). It seems to me the use of high-strength low-alloy steels in the rockers and other areas probably offer enough strength by themselves. As far as the subframe rail run back toward the rear torque box, I don't know they would do much on the coupe anyways...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised NOT to see additional bracing (except the STB we've already seen) under ZL1. There are a few of our Communities' Sponsors that don't believe SFCs are even necessary; one of which is a hard-core racing company (the other doesn't make race parts, they say; they make street parts you can race). It seems to me the use of high-strength low-alloy steels in the rockers and other areas probably offer enough strength by themselves. As far as the subframe rail run back toward the rear torque box, I don't know they would do much on the coupe anyways...
I don't see any SFC's on the Chicago ZL1 in any of the underbody shots but it is a pre-production car. The exhaust pinches together real close after the axle, and that is where the rear "V" looks like it should bolt up. The STB in the ZL1 isn't a traditional bolt on, it needed some fabrication done to be mounted where other STB's use existing strut mount bolts. Its possible that some fabricating may need to be done for any SFC's if they needed to be used...

I think the transmission support is aggressive, the coupe may not see improvements but a heavier, more powerful ZL1 might... especially if said vehicle is expected to generate more G's than the SS and CTS-V.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I don't see any SFC's on the Chicago ZL1 in any of the underbody shots but it is a pre-production car. The exhaust pinches together real close after the axle, and that is where the rear "V" looks like it should bolt up. The STB in the ZL1 isn't a traditional bolt on, it needed some fabrication done to be mounted where other STB's use existing strut mount bolts. Its possible that some fabricating may need to be done for any SFC's if they needed to be used...

I think the transmission support is aggressive, the coupe may not see improvements but a heavier, more powerful ZL1 might... especially if said vehicle is expected to generate more G's than the SS and CTS-V.
Yeah - I can' either. There aren't but a few undercarriage shots, which I was a little disappointed (because that's where I think a lot of the magic happens). I saw those pinches, too, right before going into the mufflers? I haven't seen any of the convert's braces, so I can't speculate, yet :( I kinda' wonder, though, if a handful off nut-zerts and a good, sharp drill bit, will get that STB on a non-ZL1 car, though. I know that's some STRONG and thick steel right there, but don't think it'd be too bad.

I don't know if you're familiar with 4th Gens, but I recall extra rocker panel bracing, just out-board of the pinch welds. Perhaps, ZL1 will have something like this, too They had a different tranny brace and an additional X-brace, too.

I certainly think that a car with a higher-tuned chassis and stickier tires is going to impose more torsional forces on the car, but to what extent the body could handle is beyond me I'm VERY eage to learn though! I wish we could get some more undercarriage shots. There's a lot of things I'd like to look at down there
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 38 02-17-2012 12:45 AM
Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace for Magnacharger Available at MTI Racing MTI Racing Kevin Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 0 01-27-2011 11:33 AM
Strut Tower Brace Clears Magnuson Superchargers MTI Racing MTI Racing Kevin Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 0 01-26-2011 04:00 PM
MTI Racing Strut Tower Brace FREE SHIPPING MTI Racing Kevin Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 5 09-17-2010 10:42 AM
MTI Racing Strut Tower Brace MTI Racing Kevin Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 0 06-28-2010 12:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.