Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
xero755
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 41
Strut bar that clears the 2.9L Whipple

Does such an animal exist?
xero755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Why do you feel you need one?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"
 
camaro4mybday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: long island ny
Posts: 2,337
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
pete i can answer that one, because other companies make one to they feel they need one they didnt read your article about the magnificant design of the camaro structure
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
xero755
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 41
I guess ask a simple question get a simple answer is lost these days....
xero755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"
 
camaro4mybday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: long island ny
Posts: 2,337
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
xero what pete and i are trying to say is you dont need one
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Snake Slayer

 
Snake Slayer's Avatar
 
Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 904
Hi Pete,

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here but why is GM including the strut bars on the ZL-1 and CTS-V. I think I know the answer but would love to get your take. I do agree that the 5 gen is light years ahead of 4th gen cars in terms of chassis

Last edited by Snake Slayer; 02-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Slayer View Post
Hi Pete,

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here by why is GM including the strut bars on the ZL-1 and CTS-V. I think I know the answer but would love to get your take. I do agree that the 5 gen is light years ahead of 4th gen cars in terms of chassis
Sales Sizzle? They look cool? They created one for the Vert and could use it on the new model? It wasn't installed for speed.

We know we run lao times faster than race car running slicks while we run street tires. We know we are running close to Vette T1 times. The limitations on our performance are tires and weight. Not a single test driver of mine has run our 5th Gen and asked for chassis stiffners or stronger arms.

We could get into a discussion on triangulation, roll cages, structual gains and how they relate to performance, but that would only apply in extreme racing conditions with a lightened chassis. The Last thing the 5th Gen needs is more weight on the street or the track.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
xero755
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
xero what pete and i are trying to say is you dont need one
I understand completely what you are trying to tell me. Need has nothing to do with the question that I asked. I don't NEED a supercharger, or a Camaro for that matter.

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production. I have used the search function and as well as a few vendor sites looking for a strut bar that was compatable with the Whipple 2.9L SC. I see that a maggie compatable version has been released, but no Whipple. I figured that I would ask the question in the appropriate place.
xero755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero755 View Post
I understand completely what you are trying to tell me. Need has nothing to do with the question that I asked. I don't NEED a supercharger, or a Camaro for that matter.

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production. I have used the search function and as well as a few vendor sites looking for a strut bar that was compatable with the Whipple 2.9L SC. I see that a maggie compatable version has been released, but no Whipple. I figured that I would ask the question in the appropriate place.
My guess is no as the Whipple is a bit taller and that no vendor has stepped in to say it will fit.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
BMR guy


 
BMR guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero755 View Post
I understand completely what you are trying to tell me. Need has nothing to do with the question that I asked. I don't NEED a supercharger, or a Camaro for that matter.

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production.
Exactly! I'm glad someone else finally said something. Nobody "needs" any aftermarket parts for their Camaro, they "want" them. You don't "need" a 2.9L Whipple either, you want it. This has gone way past just educating the public. We all know the Camaro is a very rigid platform to start with, we also know it comes stock with plenty of power to get you in trouble. People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?

xero755, it looks like Hotchkis makes a brace that clears the Whipple and our Magnuson/Whipple brace due out late Spring will clear as well...
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?
In a word, weight, especially in a 5th Gen that already has a blower.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
xero755
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
Exactly! I'm glad someone else finally said something. Nobody "needs" any aftermarket parts for their Camaro, they "want" them. You don't "need" a 2.9L Whipple either, you want it. This has gone way past just educating the public. We all know the Camaro is a very rigid platform to start with, we also know it comes stock with plenty of power to get you in trouble. People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?

xero755, it looks like Hotchkis makes a brace that clears the Whipple and our Magnuson/Whipple brace due out late Spring will clear as well...
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243
Thank you for the response. I'll just wait around until there are more options.
xero755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended
 
Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 1,839
Hendrix-Engineering

We are finishing a new desighn up on the GTO that will clear the blower.We will be starting on the Camaro next and will make a bar to clear the blower.
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
oachalon

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
In a word, weight, especially in a 5th Gen that already has a blower.
I agree. Why add cost and weight when you dont need to. You are better off putting that money into bushings, sway bars, coilovers, springs, etc.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Hotchkis

 
Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sante Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero755 View Post
Does such an animal exist?
The Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Brace fits with the Magnuson and Whipple supercharger. Here's 2 pictures to show how it fits with both superchargers.

Magnuson:


Whipple:
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 148 09-04-2013 02:28 PM
Pfadt Race Engineering DIY Drop Spring installation procedure PfadtRacing Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 20 09-23-2011 09:31 PM
Better Handling Tbanks Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 30 12-15-2010 11:50 AM
Hotchkis versus Pfadt Sway Bars Avalnch Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 77 10-08-2010 10:37 AM
CAMARO 1998 RED CUSTOM MADE, LEATHER, DVD, CAMERA, NEON kachyok Autos For Sale / Wanted 17 06-22-2010 06:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.