Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
New solution... Remove the seats, mask up everything you dont want to get spray adhesive on, and have your guy cover the headliner while its still in the camaro! Sorry best solution I could come up with!
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
I tried to remove it when I was deleting the shark fin, but ended up working around it since I couldn't handle the headliner by myself without kinking it. It seemed to be too big to come out the door opening no matter what angle I had it at.
The service manual stated to remove the passenger seat, recline the drivers seat, and with an assistant remove the head liner. I imagine you would have to bend the headliner some to get it out
yeah i read the same thing in the service manual.. i still dont see how its gonna come out even with the passenger removed, but i guess its possible if thats how they say to do it in the service manual.. i know this much.. the headliner was put in the car at the factory when the windshield was out..
bowtie628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
New solution... Remove the seats, mask up everything you dont want to get spray adhesive on, and have your guy cover the headliner while its still in the camaro! Sorry best solution I could come up with!
thats not gonna work.. you need it out of the car to wrap it right.. i may end up just not doing it.. my friends coming by tommorow morning to see if the headliner will come out with the passenger seat out.. ill keep you all posted..
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
can anybody post the proceedure to get it down at least? , I have a couple dingsin my roof and I need to get mine down for the paintless repair guy to get to them. thanks
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster View Post
can anybody post the proceedure to get it down at least? , I have a couple dingsin my roof and I need to get mine down for the paintless repair guy to get to them. thanks
taking it down is easy.. search the forum, theres a thread on how to do it.. its taking it out of the car thats very hard..
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
This is what i do for a living i repair cars/ build them. The only way you can get it out w/o damaging it is removing either the front or back glass, your best bet is the front glass or i suppose you can fold it up and pull it out that way. But if someone did this the way the manual says to i would like to see a full post on how they did it and with out damaging it
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_cartoonist_88 View Post
This is what i do for a living i repair cars/ build them. The only way you can get it out w/o damaging it is removing either the front or back glass, your best bet is the front glass or i suppose you can fold it up and pull it out that way. But if someone did this the way the manual says to i would like to see a full post on how they did it and with out damaging it
what proof do you have that the headliner wont come like the manual says? did you try it by the manual? i myself dont see it coming out, even with the front seats out.. i dont see how it will even make the turn to pull out the door..
Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
what proof do you have that the headliner wont come like the manual says? did you try it by the manual? i myself dont see it coming out, even with the front seats out.. i dont see how it will even make the turn to pull out the door..
^^^ like i said i do it for a living of course i have tried thats why i say that it wont work or i couldnt get it work and had never heard of anyone making it work with out damaging it. Pull the windshield and just pull through the opening.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #23
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
^^^ like i said i do it for a living of course i have tried thats why i say that it wont work or i couldnt get it work and had never heard of anyone making it work with out damaging it. Pull the windshield and just pull through the opening.
did you take the passenger seat out? thats what the manual says to do..? but even with it out, i dont see how its gonna fit though the door.. haha
Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

......i have tried it by the book and couldnt get it out without damaging the headliner, i got tired of trying and finally had the glass guy pull the windshield
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
......i have tried it by the book and couldnt get it out without damaging the headliner, i got tired of trying and finally had the glass guy pull the windshield
so when you did it by the manual and took the passenger seat out and put the drivers seat all the down, the headliner didnt come out at all?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #26
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

ok look you asked for advice, i told what i got to work and what i couldnt get to work. If you can get it to work by going by the manual and managed to not damage the liner i would love to know how you got it to work. I couldnt get it to work so i do the easy/quick way in the industry im in time is money i fiddled with the whole seat thing and couldnt do it w/o damaging the headliner. thats my advice do what you will with it
Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #27
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Quote:
ok look you asked for advice, i told what i got to work and what i couldnt get to work. If you can get it to work by going by the manual and managed to not damage the liner i would love to know how you got it to work. I couldnt get it to work so i do the easy/quick way in the industry im in time is money i fiddled with the whole seat thing and couldnt do it w/o damaging the headliner. thats my advice do what you will with it
hey sorry man, i didnt mean to get you pist.. i read the manual and talked to a service guy over at a chevy dealership that we deal with at the body shop i work at.. he said they dont know if it will come out if you go by the manual because they havent replaced a headliner in the new camaro yet.. thats why i asked you if you took the seat out when you tried..
Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #28
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

just wanted to bump this thread and say that i got the headliner out of the car by just removing the passenger seat, putting the shifter in drive with the car off, putting the tilt on the steering wheel all the way down and being very careful.. so.. it is possible..