Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Spine Tingler
MOVN BONZ

Drives: 2007 Freightliner Sport Chassi
Best option to improve ride when lowering?

I am going to lower my car but I want to improve ride quality. Who has done this and how? Thank you.
Spine Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
kook

Drives: 2010 2SS Yellow
The only possible way to have both is with coil overs. You use springs and ride will get a little firmer than factory. Pm Justice Pete from Pedders and he will steer you in the right direction. This is the route I'm going.
Magnaflow Street Cat-Back
DOD Delete
Forgestar F-14's and Pedders XA + PKG
Custom grind cam from Cincy Speed
ADM dual fuel pump
ADM AF/Boost gauges
FTI 3200 convertor
Hurst shifter
Cincy Speed Build and Tune 540rwhp
kook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
you want a set of Coil over shocks then.. they are adjustable for height, and let you set the dampening for ride comfort.

Soft for cushy ride, or firm for canyon burning.

Options are Pedders, Pfadt, K3,there are others, but those are the more popular for the Camaro.

I have Pedders Supercars and wouldn't want anything else.
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
You seek the Holy Grail of Suspension -- lower with improved ride quality. Spring rate, damping map and jounce travel are key factors in determining ride height. Using lowering coils reduces jounce travel.

In this phot you can see the bumpstop, the damper shaft and the top of the damper. The space between the nose of the stop and the top of the seat is what GM refers to as jounce travel. It is typically about 24mm / one inch. When the stop is fully compressed we are looking at 40mm or an 1 5/8s.

OEMs make the stops progressive. With a well designed coil wind and good spring rate you can make the coil work with the bumpstop and deliver a good quality ride. It will not be better than OE, but still refined and appropriate for the 5th Gen.

You askled for better. Pedders coilovers preserve jounce travel by screwing the entire monotube assembly into and out of the lower mount. The spring perch is set with precisely 2mm of pre-compression in the front and 5mm of pre-compression in the rear. Ride quality is the same at closse to OE ride height or slammed to the ground.

With the Xa coilover you have a single form of adjustable damping. This is called fixed ratio damping. It makes both bound and rebound adjustment either harder or softer with a turn of the knob. Our Xa coilover owners love the Xas. Infact, when we first started testing them we thought it may be the best product would ever build. They are very very good.

Then we developed the Suprecar coilovers. Our Xa coilovers are traditional orientation 46mm monotubes. Our Supercars are 52mm monotubes. The larger the piston, the greater the oil volume the smoother the control can be. Keep in mind that the 'shock absorbers' on your 5th Gen are the coil springs. The hydraulic component, the damper, does exactly that. The damper controls the rate at which a coil compresses (bound) and expands (rebound). The Supercars are silky smooth. They have oversized reservoirs that hold more oil to help dissipate heat. Separate bound and rebound adjustments allow the end user to tune them to thier needs if they are comfort or ultimate control.

Some people worry that setting the independent bound and rebound adjustments are too complicated with 60 settings per coilover. That is not the case. We tell you where to set them for comfort and where to set them for ultimate handling. You then have the option to click, tune race, err play if you choose.

We have had quite a few owners that are very experienced with suspension and setup go through Xa coilovers and then upgrade to Supercar coilovers. They loved the Xa coilovers, but are Fanatical raving Fans of the Supercars because they deliver exactly what you asked for - lower my car but I want to improve ride quality

When you look at other brands they all are very similar in terms of adjustment to Pedders Xa coilovers. The bound and rebound ratios are fixed. Just like our xa coilovers deliver very good ride quality, they are not better than OE ride quality. Ride quality is subjective. Everyone will have an opinion on ride quality. It is my opinion that Supercar coilovers are really your only option.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question? What is the life expectancy on the coilovers?

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushings,Forgestar F14's 20x9/11,Nitto Motivos, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a question? What is the life expectancy on the coilovers?
The durability testing has them lasting longer than I would like.

Our warranty covers them for 36,000 miles or two years. We have NO exclusion for racing or speed contests.

We drive like you do. Driving enthusiastically we expect the Xa and Supercar coilovers to last between 60 to 100K. Our primary concern for long life is not the damper. It is the fine threads on the monotube, clevis and locking rings. Most end users will adjust the heights and precompression a couple of times in the first months or year and then let them sit. Dirt, debris, corrosive chemicals from the road, road salt, beach sand with salt, dessert dust alkali and so on is the greater concern. Once corrosion sets in adjustment is problematic.

We have GSR struts and shocks that are still going strong for the end user at 100K. Pedders coilovers can be rebuilt and the monotubes can be replaced so you'll have a variety of options depending on the condition of the entire assembly after years of use.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Spine Tingler
MOVN BONZ

Drives: 2007 Freightliner Sport Chassi
Thank you for the information. I will get coilovers.
Spine Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine Tingler View Post
Thank you for the information. I will get coilovers.
You are welcome. You can find a Pedders dealer near you at this link http://www.peddersusa.com/dealer-finder or browse our store by clicking the link in my signature. If you have any further questions we are available here in the Camaro5 forum or call my office at 248.522.8021
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
I am going to lower my car but I want to improve ride quality. Who has done this and how? Thank you.
Hey there Spine Tingler, I think a good question to ask you is, what will you be using the car for mostly? Performance street? Street driving with some racing? As others have mentioned, there are a couple options for lowering and maintaining amazing ride quality.

The drop springs will give you a great aesthetic look and a slightly firmer feel to your suspension. There are differences between the manufacturers of drop springs, so investigate exactly which set of springs will get you the right drop, durability and ride quality. A good set of springs will improve the ride by adding a firm but not harsh feel. You'll probably need to get opinions from end users on the relative ride quality of springs. This is a good solution that requires minimal cost for parts and installation, and will provide a similar ride quality to what the Camaro already has. Some on this forum have said they even prefer the ride of the Pfadt lowering springs to the OEM ride.

If you are interested in gaining more performance, you could achieve the same drop with a coil-over solution and gain a lot of other things in the process. The benefits of coilovers in general and Pfadt units in particular are tunable damping and adjustable ride height. The adjustable damping fits well with any ride quality concern, because the damping plays a large role in ride quality. With the Pfadt coilovers there are 20 damping positions that will allow you to tailor the ride to suit your taste. Think of this as custom valving that you can change with a few twists of a knob. The softer damping settings provide better ride quality. There is obviously a substantial increase in cost when making the move to coilovers. But the added performance, tuning aspects, and adjustability make them well worth a consideration. There are a lot of differences between coilover manufacturers, so be sure to research this accordingly.

If you are certain you are going to race the car at track events, you will not be wasting your time and money if you purchase the right coilovers. If you are unsure exactly how much you will be tracking the car, then maybe its a better option to start small, and just upgrade the springs and sway bars. Then make the move to coilovers once you get a good feel for the Camaro chassis on a track, and can benefit from the added performance. That way you can take what you learn on the track from your springs (and maybe sways), and make the right decision on what features you need in the coilovers you want to upgrade to.

There is no reason to simply jump into coilovers just because you want the car to be lower. I think you will find that the ride quality from a good aftermarket spring will not only get you what you need, it will also save a ton of cash in your wallet.

Feel free to ask us about any specific lowering spring or coilover features of ours. As damper engineers, we have dedicated our Camaro product line to adding performance and improving ride quality.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
There is no way to improve ride quality over OE with lowering coils on a 5th Gen Camaro. Not with Pedders lowering coils or any other brand. You can still have a very high level of ride quality with drop coils, but it will not be better than OE.

Adjustable damping coils come very close. Our customers on this forum report that with the Supercar Independent Bound and Rebound damping adjustment they achieve the holy grail of suspension -- Lower, More Controlled and Smoother than OE.

Coilovers are not just for the track. Coilovers are for the most discerning, most sophisticated 5th Gen owners on the street as a daily driver or on the track.