Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

FLOWMASTER
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #85
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
May I ask why? or what for?

Out of wanting badly a z28 badged amaro, what are gonna do with this car?

Drive it, wash it, wax it, show it, envy it, and mate it with the 69 and have little Z's.

I mean, do you really need or want a car that is powerful but not that powerful, light but not that light?

I don't need power. You could have a zillion horsepower but what are going to do with it?

I mean, I feel like a Z28 as described is just something like an el camino: both a coupe and pick up, but actually none of them.

I once owned a 1973 El Camino and still kick myself in the ass for selling it. :(

I mean, is there such a gap in perf and usage between ZL1 and SS that we need a Z28?

Yes! in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.

(the fact I don't understand doesn't mean i'm laughing at your ideas, just willing to understand)
Why do you drive a VW and live in France?
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #86
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Why do you drive a VW and live in France?
Mainly coz' i'm french and waiting for the ZL1!

What i meant here is that I really don't see what we can put in between the ZL1 and the SS.

I really hope you'll get your Z28, but I don't see any technical nor commercial justification for this.

How would you advertise a Z28? "over an SS, under a ZL1"?

(I'm a power guy, if you put 800 hp under a Z28 hood, I'll buy it)
Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #87
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
I agree with the above poster the people that want a z/28 after the zl1 anouncement are CAR NUTS and that makes up too small a market to add another car. I know if the car was badged z/28 no one would complain that it has too much power or too good of brakes. These people are on a car forum pretty much dreaming ... they don't understand most camaro's sold are v6's ... there is only a very small market with the economy how it is for cars with over 300hp let alone 400 , so these guys think there goinna add something in the middle of a 400hp ss and a 550zl1 , they are DREAMING. Gas prices are shooting up now thanks to libya so we should pray and be happy the zl1 even comes out. This isn't 2004 .. there not goinna have 3 different v8's there just isn't a market. The market for a super fast camaro has been saved by the zl1 , I don't think there worried about the guys "who want more then 400 hp but don't want to pay the zl1 price"

People who complain about the BOSS302 competition ... it's a very limited edition not a new trim per say.

It's never coming out .
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #88
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
To think that the ZL1 at around 50k is not a small market group for car nuts is silly. The V8 makes up just over 40% of the Camaro sales and hardly a small group. For the people that may not believe that there is a market for a Z28 just look at the Vette. The GS both in hard top and convertible, ZO6, and ZR1. The ZL1 even if named a Z28 would still not appeal to me. I like some features on the car, but dislike more then I like. If the Z28 never happens that's fine I can live with it, but will look at other brands or manufactures to fill the need. The Z28 if made lighter w/ little less hp is a better alternative if fuel prices go through the roof. An there are lots of 600 hp vettes that get low 30's hwy and high 20's city mpg. It's all how you tune them and drive.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 02-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #89
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
I agree with the above poster the people that want a z/28 after the zl1 anouncement are CAR NUTS and that makes up too small a market to add another car. I know if the car was badged z/28 no one would complain that it has too much power or too good of brakes. These people are on a car forum pretty much dreaming ... they don't understand most camaro's sold are v6's ... there is only a very small market with the economy how it is for cars with over 300hp let alone 400 , so these guys think there goinna add something in the middle of a 400hp ss and a 550zl1 , they are DREAMING. Gas prices are shooting up now thanks to libya so we should pray and be happy the zl1 even comes out. This isn't 2004 .. there not goinna have 3 different v8's there just isn't a market. The market for a super fast camaro has been saved by the zl1 , I don't think there worried about the guys "who want more then 400 hp but don't want to pay the zl1 price"

People who complain about the BOSS302 competition ... it's a very limited edition not a new trim per say.

It's never coming out .
Oh yes it will!

You and others who think like you just don't get it. It's like trying to describe colors to the blind. Give me a Z28!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #90
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
It's never coming out .
All indications say it IS coming out. We could do pinks if you like.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #91
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

We lost $900,000 in our budget last year and look to lose $1000,000 this year.

One fire chief in a next door department was told to cut 1 million from this years budget and his fix is to lay off 6 firefighters. For those that say the economy is getting better might need to wake up.

As I stated before, if everyone on this forum buys a new ZL1 there's going to be a lot of them in the cars for sale/wanted section of this forum in a few years.

In todays world most people buy their wants and not their needs, and that hurts everyone. Look at the multiple credit cards people have that are maxed out.

ZL1=$50-$55,000
Gas Guzzler Tax=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Insurance=$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The price of gas=$$$$$$

In a few years I plan to give the CTS to my daughter and purchase a new car. I just hope a Z/28 is available. I believe the market for a Z/28 will be bigger than the ZL1.
Just don't put that ugly ass hood on it.
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:

Last edited by Gramps69Z; 02-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #92
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Personally, I don't give a rats ass if GM comes out with a ZL1, Z28 or an IROC/Z28. By the time they get to market with all that shiz'nizzy my vehicle will leave all of them in the dust. I waited 3yrs. for a Camaro not going to wait another 3yrs. for a Z28, I'm gonna' build a Camaro that should have been an option from the get go. At the very least this year GM should have come out with the vert and this so called ZL1 (which I still don't believe), and next year a Z28 option.

Realistically I think most C5 lovers are going to do the same and build their own dream rides and GM won't make a penny because at that point why would anyone trade in their supercar for something less?

I think once again GM missed the boat and their opportunity to maximize on this comeback.

Most of us Camaro lovers waited a minimum of 3yrs. for the Camaro to come to fruition, does GM really think we're going to wait another 3yrs. for a ZL1 or Z28.
Give me a break. I'm sure they'll be less than everyones expectations just like the SS is.

Cheers to everyone who's building their own version of a ZL1 or Z28, but better, faster and stronger and without speed, torque and RPM limiters.

Final point (for example); If GM has a 550hp. ZL1, and a 650hp Z28, who cares they put limits on how fast you can go, and how quickly you can get to that speed anyway unless you take that thing to someone to have all that power "enabled". The top speed of an SS is limited to 150mph. So, what's going to be the real difference? A supercharger? Big deal you can put a supercharger in any vehicle and get those numbers. So, why wait for GM to do anything at all?

GM has a lot of history, but in the end their just another "hurry up" and wait for nothing company.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #93
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
I do not see a need for the z28. We have LT, SS, ZL1. If z28 is suppossed to be a track pack car i say why if most people don't even track their car.

I am with the others, if zl1 car was named z28 the z28 fans would be all over it and not give a damn about the "track pack" car.

So gm make some quick bucks like the old days and throw z28 badge on the car and put a sway bar on it or something .......... oh and test these fans and give it less power like the more recent z28's....... lets see how much the z28 name sells then
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #94
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Well there are tons of us that would have to disagree with just about everything you said.

For one the Corvette has base model, Gran Sport, ZO6, and ZR1 an both the Base and GS are offered in a convertible.

Ford has sold all the Boss's they produced 4000, and could sell more it they produced more. If offered at the right price a Z28 would out sell the Vette (JMO)

If the ZL1 put down good track numbers (I hope it does), my guess pending on the track the Boss may do better or not that far behind for a lot less $. Even though there are tons of people that say the numbers are BS they have yet to show evidence to discredit them.

An there is big differences between a track car and what the ZL1 is, so rebadging isn't going to do it. I don't see a need for a ZL1 when as you put it most people aren't going to track the car. (personally I do see a need for both, but that argument could be used both ways)

Last edited by GrnMchin; 03-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #95
SQUALO

Drives: '10 SS transformd into '15 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I can understand the actual set up: LT, SS , ZL1. I can see what kinda customer is targeted by these 3 cars.

But a Z28 between a SS and a ZL1 ... who would be the target? People wanting big power but not that much?
I can understand LT: I want the car but don't need a strong engine
I can understand SS: I want the car and a good engine for a reasonnable price
I can understand ZL1: I want the strongest engine around

But a Z28 between the 2? Would it sell? Who would buy?
ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
[/B]

Me!!

I believe the new Z/28 will be announced in the next 12-18 months.
One thing, please! please! please!!! don't put that ugly ass hood on it.
ME TOO!

I'm still hoping an announcement for the Z28 will come out sooner. I still have my suspicions, or maybe hopes, that some kind of announcement will be made this summer, when the Transformers 3 movie is released July 1st.

For those who don't think we need a Z28, because we have the ZL1, than why does the Corvette offer 4 models? (Base to ZR1), because there's a different customer for every model.
That's good marketing, when you can give people a choice, not everyone is "made of money", and they return as
LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO THE BRAND!;
Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #96
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
ME!

ME TOO!

I'm still hoping an announcement for the Z28 will come out sooner. I still have my suspicions, or maybe hopes, that some kind of announcement will be made this summer, when the Transformers 3 movie is released July 1st.

For those who don't think we need a Z28, because we have the ZL1, than why does the Corvette offer 4 models? (Base to ZR1), because there's a different customer for every model.
That's good marketing, when you can give people a choice, not everyone is "made of money", and they return as
LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO THE BRAND!;

Thanks Frank, excellent post.

Earnhardts, Camaros, and Cowboys
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Old 03-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #97
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I considered that, read his post again, and decided 'nope... He's misinformed.'
Most people on this forum don't even know where or how the original ZL1 brand started many years ago. So, that makes me more informed than the average joe that believes anything they hear because it comes from a large corporation.

The ZL(x) brand always belonged to SLP, and then GM jumped on the bandwagon when they realized SLP was on to something.
I'm sure this is the same deal with the upcoming version of the ZL1 brand, albeit there may be some differing parts between the SLP (original ZL1 version) and the new GM ZL1 version. Most likely the SLP ZL1 will be a better overall car because there will be options on the SLP version that won't be on the GM version which will make it a more powerfull, better handling Camaro.

Either way SLP will always have some skin in the game because ZL1 brand belongs to SLP not GM. Go, get some history, and then start thinking out of the box.

You think a large corporation like GM would allow a much smaller company to tag vehicles with their brands out of the goodness of their executive hearts? And, to continue to use the brand even after announcing they're coming to market with their own version. Get real.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=original+ZL1 ----> SLP's response to all the theories on GM and the ZL brand.

Now you're informed.

Last edited by calbert1999; 03-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #98
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Most people on this forum don't even know where or how the original ZL1 brand started many years ago. So, that makes me more informed than the average joe that believes anything they hear because it comes from a large corporation.

The ZL(x) brand always belonged to SLP, and then GM jumped on the bandwagon when they realized SLP was on to something.
I'm sure this is the same deal with the upcoming version of the ZL1 brand, albeit there may be some differing parts between the SLP (original ZL1 version) and the new GM ZL1 version. Most likely the SLP ZL1 will be a better overall car because there will be options on the SLP version that won't be on the GM version which will make it a more powerfull, better handling Camaro.

Either way SLP will always have some skin in the game because ZL1 brand belongs to SLP not GM. Go, get some history, and then start thinking out of the box.

You think a large corporation like GM would allow a much smaller company to tag vehicles with their brands out of the goodness of their executive hearts? And, to continue to use the brand even after announcing they're coming to market with their own version. Get real.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=original+ZL1 ----> SLP's response to all the theories on GM and the ZL brand.

Now you're informed.
Now you're......
Did you even read this thread?
Did you know the FIRST ZL1 was a 427 big block engine installed in a 69 Camaro? Back in 1969???
Did you know SLP as we know them didn't exist back then?