Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #201
mrbrans5
 
mrbrans5's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
mrbrands5, where did you get your tubing to hold the LED and Light Pipe? What size is it and does the LED fit snug in the tubing or is it very loose. The reason I ask is the tubing I am using now is very loose and does not hold the LED snug. So anytime I make adjustments the tubing falls off the LED and its a pain to get everything lined up again.
My clear tubbing fits the light pipe and the LED bulb very tight. Sorry I'm not sure of the size. I think I bought it at a store here in Canada called "Princess Auto" but I'm sure any hardware store carries it.

A very good tip from Gene Culley:

I’ll give you some words of caution. When you turn the light tube to point the reflective strip in another direction, etc., hold the vinyl tubing with your finger and clinch tight. If you don’t, when you twist the light tube, since the vinyl tubing is connected to the LED, it will eventually break off the LED. I broke two LED’s doing this. Again, make sure you hold the vinyl tubing from twisting while you’re twisting the light pipe.

I can tell you there is NO WAY to turn the light pipe in my clear tubbing. I had to remove the pipe every time I wanted to turn it a bit. It's that tight!

__________________
mrbrans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #202
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
Now that I have the wiring harness & light tubes from Ofer, and the LED's from GM, I have a question... is the ABL wiring harness connector located behind the speedometer in a 2011?

I want to be sure that my ABL mod dims with the ABL in the doors.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #203
jdec141c
 
Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Now that I have the wiring harness & light tubes from Ofer, and the LED's from GM, I have a question... is the ABL wiring harness connector located behind the speedometer in a 2011?

I want to be sure that my ABL mod dims with the ABL in the doors.
the connector is behind the 4 gauge center console. It dims but only goes as low as the radio controls. it won't completely dim like the door panels or instrument cluster rings.
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #204
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
Hmm... so how do I fix this? I was under the impression that it would dim the same way the door lighting would.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #205
jdec141c
 
Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Hmm... so how do I fix this? I was under the impression that it would dim the same way the door lighting would.
It does dim. Just not completely. Go out to your car and dim the doors all the way. Your radio halos will still be visible but very dim. This is how the dash will be.
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #206
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdec141c View Post
It does dim. Just not completely. Go out to your car and dim the doors all the way. Your radio halos will still be visible but very dim. This is how the dash will be.
Hmm.. Is it distracting at all while driving at night? I like being able to turn off the doors, but I'm so used to them now that I don't even notice the glow while driving.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #207
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Hmm.. Is it distracting at all while driving at night? I like being able to turn off the doors, but I'm so used to them now that I don't even notice the glow while driving.
I was worried about the same thing when I was thinking of doing this mod. Honestly though, it just blends in with the rest of the ABL. Not distracting at all.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #208
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I was worried about the same thing when I was thinking of doing this mod. Honestly though, it just blends in with the rest of the ABL. Not distracting at all.
Thanks; that's reassuring.... With that, I'll begin the installation process on Friday.. hopefully it won't take too long.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #209
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,577
part list quick reference?

Hey guys, I've been watching his thread for a loooong time, I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need to know what parts and where to get them from- I know its covered in several of the 1,000 posts in here, but its taking forever searching from my phone...

I have a 2011 2SS, I want to complete the dash (non drill) and "fix/complete" the doors

If someone can list the resources for me, id greatly appreciate it
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #210
jdec141c
 
Drives: 11 Camaro Vert 2SS/RS 6M Hurst
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Hey guys, I've been watching his thread for a loooong time, I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need to know what parts and where to get them from- I know its covered in several of the 1,000 posts in here, but its taking forever searching from my phone...

I have a 2011 2SS, I want to complete the dash (non drill) and "fix/complete" the doors

If someone can list the resources for me, id greatly appreciate it
Ofer can sell you everything you need. Send him a pm 2SSRS
jdec141c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #211
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,577
Thanks Jdec! Appreciate it...

pm Sent!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #212
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,577
Ofer- THANK YOU for the super fast delivery! Everyhing arrived today! Planning to research this week and tackling this project next weekend! Thanks again!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #213
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
I can't get the tube to illuminate / reflect properly.. it's extremely dim in the center. I also can't get the small gap right... it's either a giant hideous gap (drivers side), or no gap at all (passenger side.)
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #214
drookster
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
I can't get the tube to illuminate / reflect properly.. it's extremely dim in the center. I also can't get the small gap right... it's either a giant hideous gap (drivers side), or no gap at all (passenger side.)
Wow, that is EXACTLY what I am experiencing with mine!!! I figure we're gonna have to continue 'tinkering' to get it just right. Good luck, I'll let you know what I come up with.
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #215
drookster
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Highland, IL
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Ofer- THANK YOU for the super fast delivery! Everyhing arrived today! Planning to research this week and tackling this project next weekend! Thanks again!
Yep, Ofer is the man.
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #216
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by drookster View Post
Wow, that is EXACTLY what I am experiencing with mine!!! I figure we're gonna have to continue 'tinkering' to get it just right. Good luck, I'll let you know what I come up with.
Well that makes ME feel really confident going into this, lol! I read through the posts about heating the tube up and flattening the side facing the trim piece to cut down the gap...

Please keep us posted, I plan to begin mine Friday night
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #217
Batman0837
 
Batman0837's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS # 71394
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 365
I've been absent from posting for some time but have been checking in periodically.....I'm curious to know if anyone has looked at the current gen LaCrosse for donor parts for this application. I noticed in an ad that the Buick has ABL across the entire dash, just a thought.
Batman0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #218
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
I fixed the dirvers side by shaving some plastic from the back of the trim piece; now it fits perfectly. I think I'm going to shave the passenger side so that the trim piece fits like it did from the factory, but with the light tube behind it. I picked up some 400 grit finishing paper and I think CAREFULLY sanding the paint off of the beveled edge will fix everything.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #219
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,717
Its needs to have a 2-3mm gap.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #220
camaro2rs
Account Suspended
 
camaro2rs's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: east coast
Posts: 571
cool mod i might try this
camaro2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #221
edgehead2000
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM M6
 
edgehead2000's Avatar
 
Drives: Nemesis
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman0837 View Post
I've been absent from posting for some time but have been checking in periodically.....I'm curious to know if anyone has looked at the current gen LaCrosse for donor parts for this application. I noticed in an ad that the Buick has ABL across the entire dash, just a thought.
I was just going to post this same comment!

I just upgraded to a 2012 2LT and while the car was in the shop for add'l dealer incentives, they gave me a 2011 Buick Lacrosse. I was amazed at the dash's interior lighting and angry that they left Camaro owners in the cold. I wanted to take the dash apart before returning the car but didn't have time.

FYI: 2011 Buick Interior Dash

I've located some parts on the GM Parts House Website: 2011 Buick Lacrosse Dash Parts

There is a gap between the wood painted panel and the upper dash for the tube to peak through but I think we could steal the light rod for ourselves! However, why don't I see it in the parts list?
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #222
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,495
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehead2000 View Post
I was just going to post this same comment!

I just upgraded to a 2012 2LT and while the car was in the shop for add'l dealer incentives, they gave me a 2011 Buick Lacrosse. I was amazed at the dash's interior lighting and angry that they left Camaro owners in the cold. I wanted to take the dash apart before returning the car but didn't have time.

FYI: 2011 Buick Interior Dash

I've located some parts on the GM Parts House Website: 2011 Buick Lacrosse Dash Parts

There is a gap between the wood painted panel and the upper dash for the tube to peak through but I think we could steal the light rod for ourselves! However, why don't I see it in the parts list?
I've seen the Buick in person, AMAZING! ABL in that car, makes me wonder what was so difficult about making it look like that in the Camaro... It was an incomplete design. I'd cut the pay of the team in charge of that... LOL Kidding.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #223
rydahog

 
rydahog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS 45th..Auto
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: riverview fl.
Posts: 1,949
yeah ,,got my abl parts..thanks ofer..)

fng,,,are ya ready for me??
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #224
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
FNG's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow 2011
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
yeah ,,got my abl parts..thanks ofer..)

fng,,,are ya ready for me??
I think so... we'll get together when I return next week and get your ABL installed.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #225
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5
 
Drago77's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 11' 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 4,577
My harness arrived yesterday!

Looks short to reach all the way to the ends, but I'm sure Ofer has it perfected! Still nervous, but anxious to get started!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 12:05 PM
Installation Camaro Needed for Manual for a Justice Install Package in SF Bay Area Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - California 6 04-30-2010 08:02 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.