Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Blade

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Detroit Speed anyone?

Anyone heard about this brand? I am looking at purchasing their Swaybars & Springs package. The car drops 1.5" and the sway bars look very sturdy to me. The price is also lower than most of the popular brands.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
They're very well known and respected in the pro-touring arena...I wouldn't hesitate to go with them. That being said, I don't have any personal experience with them...
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2010 VR LS3 2SS/RS white stripes
I looked at them too but a lot of write ups warn about dropping the car that much saying that it will affect dampening...I went with BMR instead. They are well respected, well priced and offer either a 1" or a 1.4" drop spring both are progressive rate springs with increased spring rates. I still was only comfortable with the 1" drop....BTW, don't neglect the bushings too!

1 7/8 ARH long tubes, 3" cat back, Dynomax VT axle-back.

Edelbrock E-force SC with 3.25" pulley, JRE e-force fuel rail mod, 850cc Dynamic injectors, LPE twin fuel pump, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Roto-fab e-force intake, RX catch can.
Jannetty Racing Tuned: 622 rwhp / 582 rwtrq
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I've used there product in the past for some old school rides but I think pedders,pfadt, and or,bmr are the way to go with the 5th gen plus they all support our forum!!!!!!!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
They are an excellent company. Personally the 1.5" is going to be too much in my opinion.

To say they are cheaper than the other Mfgs???? Where are you getting your prices? When I was initially looking as springs I looked at thier stuff. First off they wouldn't sell just the springs, you had to buy both springs and sway bars. Second, their kit was like $900.....way more than alot of other Mfgs out there.

Things may have changed but that's what they were almost a year ago.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
SUPERCHARGED/2SS

Drives: 2011 GMC Denali HD,2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Anyone heard about this brand? I am looking at purchasing their Swaybars & Springs package. The car drops 1.5" and the sway bars look very sturdy to me. The price is also lower than most of the popular brands.

Thanks!
I have the Detroit Speed and Engineering springs and swaybars on my car to drop it the 1.5", and I don't think it is too much drop. The ride is more firm than with the factory springs and sways, but not too bad. I think it definately makes the car look better than the factory ride height. DSE definately makes quality products.
Attached Images

SUPERCHARGED/2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
95droptopZ
Chevrolet across the USA

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS 66 SS396 Chevelle
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=DSE

I put them on my 2010 with a maggie and the Hotchkis spacers up front and got a 1.25" drop at all 4 corners. Little harsh on bumpy roads but still nice. I like em! Very easy install.
Maggie TVS 2300, Rotofab intake, Homemade coil relocation, MSD spark plug wires, Chevrolet cast alum. valve covers, Dash and door ambient lighting, HUD addition, Front and rear cameras, Hurst aftermarket shifter, Fesler dual gauge pod with autometer boost and shift light gauges, GM gfx, Painted shark fin, Clear bra, custom painted hockey stripes, Rear panel blackout, Old school SS emblems, Misc Emblempro's accessories, Stealth turn signal bulbs, Clear side markers, OD cog drive, Chrome accented DRL bezels, Plasma DRL's, NLP spoiler, Leatherseats interior, RX oil catch can
95droptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
I had the DSE kit installed in my car, The pot holed roads around my city was too much for me, swapped out the springs and installed pedders coilovers. I'll sell the springs if you are interested.
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
if i were you i well go with a company that support our forum but its just me
i well go with BMR i like what i heard about them
any way good luck bro wish you all the best
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Blade

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

I have the install scheduled for Friday morning

I will have pictures and maybe video by Friday night.

Also thanks 95droptopZ for posting those pictures, the cars look great, makes me feel better about my choice. I never bothered doing a search for "DSE", thought never crossed my mind
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving41 View Post
I had the DSE kit installed in my car, The pot holed roads around my city was too much for me, swapped out the springs and installed pedders coilovers. I'll sell the springs if you are interested.
Welcome to the Pedders Nation!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

I have the install scheduled for Friday morning

I will have pictures and maybe video by Friday night.

Also thanks 95droptopZ for posting those pictures, the cars look great, makes me feel better about my choice. I never bothered doing a search for "DSE", thought never crossed my mind
Please make sure they time your bushes when they install your DSE coils. If they don't know what this means, feel free to have them call our office.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Saving41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Welcome to the Pedders Nation!
Thanks JusticePete! Great product
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Thanks JusticePete! Great product
You're welcome. What damper settings are you using?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Blade

Jeebus........just got the car back and its AMAZING!!!

Weaving through traffic was effortless. There's a on-ramp near my work, which you are supposed to take at 25, I have gone up to 50.....I just took it at 60 MPH. The car overall is just so much tighter and more responsive.

Oh and the looks.......OMG the looks.......she's incredible now. The lowering actually completed the car, just incredible!

Drove over some speed bumps as well and some sharp driveways.......didn't touch the speed bumps at all, the driveways were fine too. I also have longtubes, and there's plenty of clearance for those guys.

to Detroit Speed
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:

Weaving through traffic was effortless. There's a on-ramp near my work, which you are supposed to take at 25, I have gone up to 50.....I just took it at 60 MPH. The car overall is just so much tighter and more responsive.

Oh and the looks.......OMG the looks.......she's incredible now. The lowering actually completed the car, just incredible!

Drove over some speed bumps as well and some sharp driveways.......didn't touch the speed bumps at all, the driveways were fine too. I also have longtubes, and there's plenty of clearance for those guys.

to Detroit Speed
So do you like um. Congrats.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
So do you like um. Congrats.
No, he isn't sure yet.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
Blade

Pictures post install!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=31
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Saving41

Quote:
You're welcome. What damper settings are you using?
14 Fronts
11 rear
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #20
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
14 Fronts
11 rear
Sound about right to me.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Please make sure they time your bushes when they install your DSE coils. If they don't know what this means, feel free to have them call our office.
if they don't know what that means. you my what to find another shop.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #22
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
I talked to reps from DSE at the Goodguys show held at Pocono Raceway last year and not only did they not know about timing the bushes but, when I explained it to them they said that it wasn't necessary and seemed like a dumb thing to do.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
I talked to reps from DSE at the Goodguys show held at Pocono Raceway last year and not only did they not know about timing the bushes but, when I explained it to them they said that it wasn't necessary and seemed like a dumb thing to do.
Sellersville?!!?!? I went to Souderton High!! My parents still live in the middle of Souderton! Nice to meet you.....
Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:

to Detroit Speed
Hey Blade, I bet the car feels 300 lbs lighter too and more nimble!
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #25
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
Not all factory reps understand what they sell. Timing the bushes is suspesnion 101. Is it necessary? Yes. \

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Well....got my car re-aligned yesterday. Had him time the bushings. The guy spent a good 2hrs doing everything and I watched as he loosened up everything.

My dad rode along with me because he didn't have anything going on. Funny thing was that he was commenting how springy it felt on the way to the shop.

Afterwards we both agreed that some to the springy feeling was gone. You still feel dips in the road but you are going to get that even from the factory with these cars.

All in All I'm very glad I had it done. What was even better is that he only charged me $100. I think that's because we started doing some bench racing while he was working. He has a C5 Z06 that he had just put a supercharger on. So, over the course of those 2 hrs or so we had some good talks about our cars and racing them at the track.