Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
mnbvcxz908

Drives: 2010 Camaro&2008 Black Sierra
Hmmmm. Help anyone?

Okay, so i live in North Dakota, where it's snow covered 65% of the time, and rear wheel drive isn't the best for here. And considering im only 15 I can say that i honestly dont have the most experience.. Well, will snow tires really be enough to get around with in the winter?

mnbvcxz908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Depending on where you live and how the roads are maintained.. you really don't need anything special if you take it slow and are careful..

On the other hand if the roads are never maintained and always snow packed.. you might want to invest in show tires / chains.. and still take it easy no matter what you're driving until you get some good experience.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
ChevyBoiSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
You probably need a second car, here in Chicago it would be a nightmare if I had to drive the SS in the middle of December or January. Thats just me. Sometimes it comes down so much no matter how many trucks are clearing the roads, it just keeps coming down.
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Number 3 has all season tires and so far in the Michigan winter I have had very few issues with control. Just a weee bit of slipping and sliding, but nothing that has made me concerned. It even gets up my driveway on snowy days which most RWD cars struggle with.

It's all tires. If you run summer Pirelli's in the winter you WILL have some issues.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
If you can, get a AWD banger

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Tal

Drives: Old
Odds are you would get by fine if you are careful, but personally I would get something else as an only car in ND.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
i had a 91 RS that i drove in the winter in western NY, and it sucked... but, I've seen people driving the 4th gen's in snow, and they seem to do fine... as stated above, take it easy, and you should be fine...

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote