Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
20sonlt

Drives: 2010 summit white LS
Timing chain warranty question

Hi all, I've been lurking the site for quite some time soaking up as much information as possible. Lately I've been searching all threads in reference to the timing chain stretchinf and I have few questions. My 2010 Ls has hit 76,000 miles and I've received a P0008 and P0017 code, long story short I took it to the dealer and he tells me my car has no oil it in it. I told the assisant service manager that BS because I just changed the oil a month ago and check the levels right before coming in. The offer to change my oil and cut the check engine light off. The next day my check engine light comes on and back to the dealer I go, followed by the same Assisant service manager telling me it's my time chain stretching. They take my car and call me the next day asking for receipts of oil changes. I ask why exactly do you need receipts because I change my own oil. He tells me to identify improper maintenance, what exactly is he referring to? Will I be stuck with the bill if I can't produce receipts?

I'm because I thought this was an issue somewhat across the board and well within the warranty parameters.

Please help.
20sonlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
spyder

Drives: 2010 V6 | M6
I would be very upset if I was asked for receipts.
Many of us buy motor oil in bulk to save money and use car ramps to do the simple oil change at home. Where the hell would you get the receipts from? Even if I saved the receipts for purchasing the oil that wouldn't necessary mean that it was for my car or someone else?

If they continue to give you a hard time for work that should be covered under warranty then I think you should speak to an attorney and seek some legal aid.

- They call it the black panther.

2010 Camaro LLT
2008 Yamaha WR250X
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
20sonlt

Thanks for the input Spyder, I think my next step will be to notify an attorney. I'm just shocked that I would be asked to produce receipts and I'm still in warranty range.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'd check another dealer before I bothered with an attorney. Some are dicks, some are actually decent human beings.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
They're probably trying to get you to do it out of warranty and out of your own pocket since they can charge more if it's not under warranty. I'd take CamaroDreams07's advice and go try another dealer.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20sonlt View Post
Hi all, I've been lurking the site for quite some time soaking up as much information as possible. Lately I've been searching all threads in reference to the timing chain stretchinf and I have few questions. My 2010 Ls has hit 76,000 miles and I've received a P0008 and P0017 code, long story short I took it to the dealer and he tells me my car has no oil it in it. I told the assisant service manager that BS because I just changed the oil a month ago and check the levels right before coming in. The offer to change my oil and cut the check engine light off. The next day my check engine light comes on and back to the dealer I go, followed by the same Assisant service manager telling me it's my time chain stretching. They take my car and call me the next day asking for receipts of oil changes. I ask why exactly do you need receipts because I change my own oil. He tells me to identify improper maintenance, what exactly is he referring to? Will I be stuck with the bill if I can't produce receipts?

I'm because I thought this was an issue somewhat across the board and well within the warranty parameters.

Please help.
Hello 20sonlt,

Sorry your experiencing some issues here with your vehicle and dealer as well. These things understandably can be frustrating. I would like to offer my assistance. I can contact your dealer to investigate the situation further and I can also locate another dealer near you for service as well. I would just need some information from you which you can private message to me. Could you provide me with your full name, address, phone number, VIN# and vehicle mileage, and your dealership information? Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello 20sonlt,

Sorry your experiencing some issues here with your vehicle and dealer as well. These things understandably can be frustrating. I would like to offer my assistance. I can contact your dealer to investigate the situation further and I can also locate another dealer near you for service as well. I would just need some information from you which you can private message to me. Could you provide me with your full name, address, phone number, VIN# and vehicle mileage, and your dealership information? Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Can't beat that, I talked to a service director at a local dealer while at a birthday party and he said the gm has some really loose requirements for warranty these days. For instance he got them to replace a motor in a camaro that had one oil change in two years. Just depends on he dealer.
cjcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: '13 Camaro and '97 Wrangler
Quote:
Hello 20sonlt,

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
This ^^^ sounds like good customer service.

Hey OP, let us know if the dealership does the right thing, want to see how this turns out. It'd be good to know that GM is on top of these things....
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Try another dealer....my dealer service department saw the codes and changed the chains no questions asked.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't know anyone who changes their own oil and keeps the receipts from when they buy it. Do you at least keep a little pocket notebook of your maintenance in the glove box, though?

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
I don't know anyone who changes their own oil and keeps the receipts from when they buy it. Do you at least keep a little pocket notebook of your maintenance in the glove box, though?

I do. Both oil and filter. Plus a spread sheet of dates and miles.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Hello 20sonlt,

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This post is why I love GM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
20sonlt

**Update** The dealer is asking for more receipts, so I'm going to have to do some more searching for receipts. He did tell me that they may have to replace my motor due to sludge build up. If I do make through this delima, my next purchase will be a catch can.

@FielderLS3 I feel the same way even though I do keep some receipts, I don't keep them like i should.

I will keep you all updated as to how this all ends.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
**Update** The dealer is asking for more receipts, so I'm going to have to do some more searching for receipts. He did tell me that they may have to replace my motor due to sludge build up. If I do make through this delima, my next purchase will be a catch can.

@FielderLS3 I feel the same way even though I do keep some receipts, I don't keep them like i should.

I will keep you all updated as to how this all ends.
How often did you change the oil? Case in point.
If you went by the original monitor it let you go 10k.
The re-flashed monitor goes 5k.
This is a major on GM's part, don't take no for an answer.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
20sonlt

I use to go by the monitor until I seen a thread about the re-flash.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Quote:
I use to go by the monitor until I seen a thread about the re-flash.
There you go, GM knew about the sludge build up with the original oil monitor calibration, thus they revised it.
They should not be fighting you on this.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
My right bank chain went out at around 117,000. I changed the oil by the monitor. There was no sludge and I has posted photos of the engine. I would want to know how the dealer was a able to determine that the engine was sludged.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
By the way, I believe that the reflash on the oil change was due to people driving with low oil levels.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
My right bank chain went out at around 117,000. I changed the oil by the monitor. There was no sludge and I has posted photos of the engine. I would want to know how the dealer was a able to determine that the engine was sludged.
Sooo... Is this something we can all expect eventually like an enlarged prostate as we get older???
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Sooo... Is this something we can all expect eventually like an enlarged prostate as we get older???
Unfortunately for these early 10s it looks like a question of when instead of if.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Unfortunately for these early 10s it looks like a question of when instead of if.
There is also the question of an extended warranty on this. 10 yr.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
There is also the question of an extended warranty on this. 10 yr.
What do you mean?
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Wether it's a know issue or not you still have to prove you maintained the car as required by GM. This is why you need to keep all receipts, to prove you did. With out receipts how does GM know you maintained it as required?

Sorry to say but I don't blame the dealer one bit for asking for documentation and unless you can provide it you may be SOL.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
20sonlt

I have receipts but I don't have all the receipts as far back since 6,000 miles. The receipts aren't an issue, I was just curious thats all.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
Good Lord. How many miles are you at right now?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote