Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #51
Dyk-NO

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Well $5 range is possible most of the import supercharger kits ranges from 3-5k

Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #52
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
4500 would sell like hotcakes...I wouldnt pay much more than that.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #53
RDP Eric

Drives: x
Send a message via AIM to RDP Eric Send a message via Yahoo to RDP Eric
We looked at our Turbo Donor car today and have decided that we will be developing a Centrifical Supercharger Kit. I will be getting back to all of you that have contacted me about using your vehicle for development as soon as we are ready.

Thanks!

Eric
RDP Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #54
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
aww that kinda sucks i was looking forword to a roots style......but im still game!
why did you guys change your mind?

the roots look/sound sooo sick
www.lonestarcamaro.com

Last edited by rhd; 02-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #55
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2010 Camaro# 8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
I was wondering that too but after doing some homework, I can understand why.
This video helped me: http://www.motorator.com/videos/195
And: http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=5
So who's got the donor car?

#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |

My Journal: Erick’s Mistress
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #56
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00 View Post
Anyone who thinks a blower can be sold for under $5K is kidding themselves. At the same time, $7K+ is too much for most of us. If the price can be kept close to 5, complete with tuning, i think there will be plenty of interest. Over 6K, a lot of us are going to be looking at TT instead.

Not all of us bought the V6 for financial reasons, and on top of that, my LS was right around 20K, so that leaves me plenty of room to stay under the price of an SS. Not to mention the hit you'll take trading in your car on an SS.

The biggest problem in my eyes is the drivetrain holding up to more power.
Agreed Im worried about the motors ability to hold boost to begin with but that may not even matter if these trannies are only good for like 400 pounds of torque or something?

And yeah under 5k is nothing more than a dream but If it somehow was people would buy them in a heart beat.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #57
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
aww that kinda sucks i was looking forword to a roots style......but im still game!
Yea that sucks...

Back to the drawing board for me...if your going to do a centrifugal might as well do turbo instead...still waiting for a roots I guess....

Mods:
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #58
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
If you have a V6 now your easily looking at 5 - 8 grand or more to get into a new SS when you factor in your car's deteriorating value (and thats if you have a V6 with an original MSRP price in the high 20s and the car has low mileage)...possibly more to get into an SS equally equipped. If you have a 2010 model with a good amount of mileage your looking at even more to get into an SS. Then, the added cost of gas and insurance could add to that over time, but for some people, probably not much.

So basically, if you must have the extra power it is cheaper to go this route than to a new SS. Now if you decide on buying a used SS well that changes things alot.

Of course, the downside is your warranty is toast, and if things start breaking (engine/transmission) then you may very well be spending enough overall (Your FI kit + repair costs) to have originally bought that SS in the first place.

Its just up to you, and what YOU want to do.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #59
99prbms

Drives: 2010 2lt
im interested
99prbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #60
RDP Eric

Drives: x
Send a message via AIM to RDP Eric Send a message via Yahoo to RDP Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post

the roots look/sound sooo sick
It seems that most want the kit to be no more than 5k. There is too much in R&D and production costs to get a roots kit up and going. If we were planning on selling 500 a year that may be a different story. We may offer a roots kit still, it will just be more expensive.

1) Turbo Kit
2) Centrifugal
3) Roots

We will keep you updated and thanks for your input,

Eric
RDP Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #61
Amenti

Drives: 2010 1LT RS A6, C&C, Victory Red
I think an relatively inexpensive centrifugal supercharger kit would be great; it'd certainly be easier to pull off than fabricating a Roots supercharger.

I'm glad there are more companies looking at forced induction for the LLT. Good luck with the R&D!

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #62
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
I am curious though...While this theory may not apply to all, certainly most:

I bought a V6 because that fit my budget. If this supercharger is going to cost $6K or $8K by the time its all said and done with parts, install, tune, etc.. I could go and put that money into an SS and get close to the same level of performance and still maintain a warranty.

This kit, if it ever comes to fruition, should be priced no more than about $2500 or so or it's not really worth it..You have o take a look at the target audience that bought the V6 and price accordingly...

Just my $.02
This is an unrealistic number. We can't expect anyone to develop anything substantial for $2,500. Keep in mind that just installing a full collection of bolt-ons will cost more than this. High-performance parts, like superchargers, are sure to cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
It seems like there are plenty of options for Mustang. So, I think the market is there for Camaro as well.

I love my V6 but If the cost of added HP was more than just trading up to a V8, what's the point? I guess just to say I have a SC'd V6. For a lot of people, the money has to make sense.
Compare the Mustang market to the Camaro market. Now, consider how many more Camaros were sold last year. There is a gigantic market for Camaros that are untapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
Well $5 range is possible most of the import supercharger kits ranges from 3-5k
This sounds fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP Eric View Post
It seems that most want the kit to be no more than 5k. There is too much in R&D and production costs to get a roots kit up and going. If we were planning on selling 500 a year that may be a different story. We may offer a roots kit still, it will just be more expensive.

1) Turbo Kit
2) Centrifugal
3) Roots

We will keep you updated and thanks for your input,

Eric
We all want 1,000 ponies for free. I think you need to take a close look at the real market. There are a few active V6 drivers on here, myself included, that are serious about performance. We are willing to do whatever it takes to hit impressive numbers, just like the guys that paid a lot more for a Super Sport. The broader market includes all sport coupes and whether they have forced induction options, like the ones you are presenting. Take a look at the Mustang, Challenger, Genesis, 370Z, and other platforms. They all want power, and they all have V6 platforms. Look at the older Camaros. There are a lot of boosted 3.8L V6s on the streets.

Expand on this further. Now that we've established a market for performance in this class, let's consider what other options are out there. Regardless of price, you have to consider that the kit will be one of the few out there. Those of us who will do whatever it takes to get performance will have to suck it up and buy your kit for whatever price you set. If it exceeds $8k for tuning, install, and of course the kit, then there's no point in buying because it would be cheaper to trade our V6s for V8s and use that $8k for a down payment with reasonably similar gains and the benefit of a warranty. If you can significantly beat the $8k mark, then you will have the cost-benefit ratio on your side.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #63
mike25

I'll be honest...If it was a good reliable first class grade roots setup, depending on the price I may just spring for it. If I can't get one though, I'm just going to join the v8 crew eventually..no performance market issues there

Mods:
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #64
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Let's be realistic folks. You can't expect a roots system for $5000 on any V-x engine. This is especially true for a new engine like the LLT. I've got to agree with Blur, the pain point is probably closer to $8K right now. Once warranties start to expire that may go a little higher, though. A Centri will be cheaper and a nice option for a lot. Let's give him a chance to come up with something before we start discounting it. He's show more interest any anyone else at this point.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #65
GreenWithEnvy

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Send a message via AIM to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Yahoo to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Skype™ to GreenWithEnvy
Not trying to sound rude, but if people aren't willing to pay the money to go F/I and go buy a v8 then there will never be a market for the V6. Everyone wants this stuff to be produced, but doesn't want to pay what it is worth. The more interest and the more demand for the kits the more options we will have. The more people buy performance parts for the V6 the more different companies will look into producing parts, which will lead to more competitive pricing.
GreenWithEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #66
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Would anyone here build their own kit (turbo or SC) if they had a list of the parts needed from someone who built a working kit already using those same parts? I think that would be the cheapest way and you can slowly purchase the parts needed instead of putting down 5-8k at one time. However, the person who puts together the list will have to absorb all of the R&D costs....
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #67
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Would anyone here build their own kit (turbo or SC) if they had a list of the parts needed from someone who built a working kit already using those same parts? I think that would be the cheapest way and you can slowly purchase the parts needed instead of putting down 5-8k at one time. However, the person who puts together the list will have to absorb all of the R&D costs....
Exactly, it cost me way more than $8K to go the custom route . If you add in the expense of mandrel bending pipes and my continual tweaking to get it right, then that adds up. It will take SC2150 selling quite a few units to make up for just what he has invested so far and he's still planning on doing one more below cost. Taken all together I think what he's asking is cheap, and it is still more than $5K. IF you know what you are doing you could buy smaller turbos and build your on for $5-6K by looking at my build thread. I just don't think may want/can do that. A kit will always cost more than the sum of it's parts. Over time the price may go down because of competition, but they will never be as cheap as some think.
Build Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #68
Dyk-NO

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Centrifugal superchargers are the easiest to install of all the fi options so that will be cheap for install prices too.... Im excited for this.

Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #69
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
Centrifugal superchargers are the easiest to install of all the fi options so that will be cheap for install prices too.... Im excited for this.
Yeah and there is a sweet spot for a moderate sized one on the driver's side.
Build Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #70
Amenti

Drives: 2010 1LT RS A6, C&C, Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah and there is a sweet spot for a moderate sized one on the driver's side.
Totally true. If you look at the D3 centrifugal supercharger kit on the Cadillac CTS 3.6, it's sitting right there in that big, empty piece of real estate that, to date, has been reserved for cold air intakes.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #71
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
If it's a kit, then the install should be free. As long as you know how to read directions and know how to tighten bolts. lol I'll be doing my own install anyway
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #72
GreenWithEnvy

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Send a message via AIM to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Yahoo to GreenWithEnvy Send a message via Skype™ to GreenWithEnvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
If it's a kit, then the install should be free. As long as you know how to read directions and know how to tighten bolts. lol I'll be doing my own install anyway
Agreed. Just set aside a weekend and even get someone to help and it shouldn't be a problem at all. I would assume 6-8 hours would be a safe guess for install time.
GreenWithEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #73
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
not getting my hope up, ive seen too many companies "gauging interest" and it never fails....3- 5 grand max installed is my limit, any more isnt worth it too me
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #74
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
I can almost guarantee someone with the ability to build a bracket and fabricate an intake out of pre-bent Al pipes can build a centri kit for less than 4k even including the tune, gauges, pillar pods, nuts and bolts! Add on long-tubes and a catback and would still be less than 5k depending on which brand.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #75
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Everyone's gotta make some profit right?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote