Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-13-2015, 01:53 AM   #1
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS (6-speed manual V6)
Hard shifting on my M6

I've been driving a sticks for over a decade. My first three were 80's BMWs. My question is whether anyone else notices that this car seems difficult to shift smoothly. Especially in 1st and 2nd. It seems like no matter what I do, I cant get off the line or into second smoothly. I'm not talking about the notchy feel of the shifter either. The car seems really jerky. The only way I've found to compensate is by keeping the clutch engaged longer than i'd like while pushing the gas. "revving the clutch" while in gear, if you will. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if theres maybe something wrong with my clutch or driveline? I bought the car used with 14k on it. The dealer told me that the guy that traded it in was an older guy that "didn't know how to drive it". Not sure exactly what he meant by that. My brother can drive stick as well, and he refuses to drive my car because he hates the clutch and that it doesn't give you any feedback through the pedal. Does anyone else have the same problem? Are these just naturally hard cars to drive or could there be a mechanical problem somewhere? I know this car also has poor cradle bushings and maybe that's part of it? Any ideas?
Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
I just got a 211 m6 as well and I feel like I have he same issue. I made an appointment to have it checked out. They suggest the clutch possibly if not rarely some have an issue with the trans gear wise. I'll keep you posted on what they say. I feel I have same issue you are describing by riding the clutch to make a smooth take off. If not you let it off and it bogs
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
omgitsmiketuck

Well at least its not just me. Keep me posted!
Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats
Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I think what you're experiencing is because of the "notchy" shifter.

Because it's so slow to move to 2nd engine RPM's fall, making a smooth transition difficult. Because the engine has slowed, you're running into a bit of engine braking because of the motor's high compression ratio.

Slipping the clutch to maintain RPM is smoothing things out, but it's hard on the clutch. I've pretty much just gotten used to short shifting 1st. Just getting under way and shifting to 2nd early, like 2-3K rpm (unless I'm serious, if you know what I mean).

Now- how to improve the notchy shifting, that's a whole other thread!
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, FE4 struts,ZL1 toe rods/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing front sway bar, JPSS FE4 rear sway and radius arm inserts, Pedders rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I'm in the same boat... the shift from 1st to 2nd is always a little jerky. I thought it was just me at first but really its because of the long throw into second. Like Ventmaster said try short shifting into second, it seems to make it smoother.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
The dual mass flywheel is not helping you either
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Black&WhiteEnvy
211 v6 m6

Drives: 2011 v6 manual white with black
That's some good imput. Maybe it's not the clutch. What about for me. I feel the clutch spinning off or hear it when pulling up a hill or backing into my drive way. I reverse fully engaged into reverse, when backing up and I re engage the clutch I can feel and here a spinning noise. Never herd it in any other sticks before. Even when 2nd grabs sometime or even 3rd it makes a clank when it connects. Not necessarily a clunk but a loader clanking noise sometimes
Black&WhiteEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
My next upgrade will be the MGW short shift kit it's suppose to make the shifter feel incredible. Also I noticed from 1st-2nd if you push the clutch all the way down and flick it in gear quickly it doesn't seem to jerk as bad. As others have stated the heavy dual mass flywheel isn't helping . Monster is working on a clutch solution for the V6 . I talked with Steve and his is suppose to be durable as hell and weight about 12 pounds less as well as being a twin disk. I believe. Also it will hold about 700 hp and supposedly free engagement won't be too far off stok and will come with a year warranty . However it is still in R&D they need a test car. For measurements and everything. I might try to be their test car

Rotofab Cold Air Intake//Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller//MRT V1 Exhaust//Apex Catch Can//Z28 Rear Spoiler//OEM '14 SS Hood Vent Set Up//APR Carbon Splitter//Hooker Blackheart Race Downpipes//Magnaflow Resonated X pipe//1LE diffuser//Flowmaster 4inch Quad tips
https://www.facebook.com/DRIVENenthusiasts
crc91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
prowlrman

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green LS 6 Spd Manual
Yup....same problem with my 2011 since day I picked it up at the dealer. I am 62 so I feel over the past 40+ years I have driven enough manual trans cars of all makes to know HOW to shift and coordinate clutch...but my Camaro has me baffled. I also do the "short shift" method alot. When my wife rides with me she braces herself as we take off from every stop light for that 1-2 shift :-)
prowlrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlrman View Post
Yup....same problem with my 2011 since day I picked it up at the dealer. I am 62 so I feel over the past 40+ years I have driven enough manual trans cars of all makes to know HOW to shift and coordinate clutch...but my Camaro has me baffled. I also do the "short shift" method alot. When my wife rides with me she braces herself as we take off from every stop light for that 1-2 shift :-)
Haha same here. My gf puts her head against the headrest to prepare for it lol
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
LStick

Drives: 2014 1LS Blue Ray
When I test drove a brand new 2011, I ran into the same thing, it was a bear getting it to shift into any gears. I shyed away from that purchase.

Update to 2014- I bought a new '14 1LS- it shifts like butter. I'm a happy camper with this one.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Maybe something was changed in 14? Mine has always seemed pretty smooth

Rotofab Cold Air Intake//Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller//MRT V1 Exhaust//Apex Catch Can//Z28 Rear Spoiler//OEM '14 SS Hood Vent Set Up//APR Carbon Splitter//Hooker Blackheart Race Downpipes//Magnaflow Resonated X pipe//1LE diffuser//Flowmaster 4inch Quad tips
https://www.facebook.com/DRIVENenthusiasts
crc91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
LStick

Drives: 2014 1LS Blue Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Maybe something was changed in 14? Mine has always seemed pretty smooth

Lots of complaints on here about the earlier Aisin 6 speeds, having to so with syncros. 1-2 shift grinds, and other problems.

I was a little hesitant on going into the V6 6 speed because of that, but it looks like there have been some refinements to make them more user friendly.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
omgitsmiketuck

I recall seeing somewhere that the older transmission has plastic rings and the newer ones have carbon rings. Not even sure what that means, but apparently it makes a difference. I have no idea though, transmissions are complete magic to me.