Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
ctinatx

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible
Convertible washing recommendations

What is the best way to keep my convertible clean ? How do I clean the top ?

I saw some notes on other threads but figured I would start one here.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Yeah I need to know how to make sure the top doesn't develop the marks that I've seen on other rag tops. My parents had a Seabring with a tan top and that thing got so nasty, even with them trying all different types of cleaning solutions
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
eric@thompson
Account Suspended

Drives: GMC Sierra
I rarely have the top up on my Viper, so it's a little different for me. I wash my car with the top down.

Normal car soap (good stuff like Adam's Car Wash Shampoo) should work on a regular basis. Scrub it with a good brush or wash pad, as you're doing the rest of the car.

You should be using a leaf blower or MetroVac to dry your car, use that on the soft-top as well.

If you get bird droppings, sap, or any other type of stain, start with the least aggressive method first. I recommend Adam's Carpet and Interior Cleaner for mild stains and Adam's All Purpose Cleaner for the tuff stuff.

The soft top windows scratch easily, I use Adam's Glass Cleaner and Adam's Microfiber Glass towels to clean my back glass. Test it in a corner first to make sure your cleaner doesn't effect the glass.

Remember to completely dry the top before putting it down. Putting a wet top down can lead to a moldy top.
eric@thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Cleaning convertible tops should be mostly limited to just soap and water... don't go crazy with chemicals.

If you get some light soiling that doesn't come off in a wash spray a little Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner on a clean lint free towel and gently wipe the area.

For the times you need a more aggressive cleaner for say a stain or something then you'll want to look for a product called Ragg Topp. If you can't find that locally many marine supply stores will carry canvas cleaners for boat covers, those also work very well.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@thompsonracing.us View Post

Remember to completely dry the top before putting it down. Putting a wet top down can lead to a moldy top.
Excellent point, and a commonly made mistake!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
Are these newer tops made with any kind of stain repellant,with the technology available now the top should be more resistant to crap falling all around us and on us,I have Camaro convertible fever!
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
What does the owners manual say?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Mandog

Drives: 2011 RJT 1LT Vert
I posted this yesterday when I thought Drago was going to run his vert through a car wash -
I have had covertibles for the past 8 years. DO NOT run them through car washes.The high pressure can allow the water to leak through seals and the waterproofing sealant on the roof wears quicker. If you can't wash at home go to a car wash where you can wash yourself, but don't use the "foam brush", as it usually holds the last guys dirt and grit. Just spray it (the roof gentley) or bring your own car wash brush.

You will also want to use a top cleaner and once a year, more if your car is not keep in a garage. The best I have found is:
303 Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protector Kit
You can get it on Amazon.

AND:

I meant to add you want to use the sealer \ protectorant also. The one I listed is a kit with both the cleaner and protectorant. I would put the top up halfway, drape the windows with a cheap plastic painter dropcloth, the real thin ones (like clear wrap), then close the top down. the stuff is a pain to get off windows and paint.

303 also makes a great interior protectorant. It's like Armoral, but not as greasy. With a convertible, especially leather in FL you want to apply this or similar once a month to protect the interior from the sun.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
CindyInIndy

Drives: 2013 Camaro Conv 2LT/RS M6 WHITE
You guys are life savers! I never even thought about it and just took my eclipse convertible through the car wash and would put it down wet sometimes too. It was my first convertible and husband didn't tell me not to. Luckily no damage. That car has a NICE convertible roof that covers itself when it goes down. I'm sure I'll get use to the clips or forks on camaro. Goodbye Mike's Car Wash. Thanks again guys !!!
CindyInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
My 95 Firebird's roof looks like the day it came off the show floor. IMO never use soap or any chemicals on it. I just use the hose with soft water from my garage and spray it off once a week. It gets rid of any dust or pollen etc. I rarely ever drive it with the top up and when I do it is because it is to cold out. Never drive it in the rain as all the road spray will reek havoc on it.
Just my 2 cents
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I posted this yesterday when I thought Drago was going to run his vert through a car wash -
I have had covertibles for the past 8 years. DO NOT run them through car washes.The high pressure can allow the water to leak through seals and the waterproofing sealant on the roof wears quicker. If you can't wash at home go to a car wash where you can wash yourself, but don't use the "foam brush", as it usually holds the last guys dirt and grit. Just spray it (the roof gentley) or bring your own car wash brush.

You will also want to use a top cleaner and once a year, more if your car is not keep in a garage. The best I have found is:

AND:

I meant to add you want to use the sealer \ protectorant also. The one I listed is a kit with both the cleaner and protectorant. I would put the top up halfway, drape the windows with a cheap plastic painter dropcloth, the real thin ones (like clear wrap), then close the top down. the stuff is a pain to get off windows and paint.

303 also makes a great interior protectorant. It's like Armoral, but not as greasy. With a convertible, especially leather in FL you want to apply this or similar once a month to protect the interior from the sun.
Thanks for this info. I was looking for recommendations for caring for the top from people who have owned convertibles before - good info! That's why I love this VERT forum.
debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
topscomindown!

Drives: 2012 Black Convertible 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post

AND:

Where can I buy that?
topscomindown! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
mitchw

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Griots Garage makes a great cleaner and sealer.
mitchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Never drive it in the rain as all the road spray will reek havoc on it.
Kind of hard to do when it's your DD.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
mrdth

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Vert
303 Gets my vote!
Dynatech Ceramic Coated LT Headers
Magnaflow 3" Competition Cat BacK
CAI Cold Air Intake
RX Catch Can
Pfadt Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Cradle Bushings
Built And Tuned By Jannetty Racing Enterprises
mrdth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
About 97% of all Convertible tops that are manufacturer here are protected by Wolfsteins RaggTopp products. So yours is already has it on the top so why not keep it clean and protected by the same product that works and approve by these manufacturers?

RaggTopp
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote