Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
V6 Questions

Okay, I'll start this by saying I'm 17. I have a well paying job for my age at 18/hr so I have money. I bought an 08 Accord Coupe last year, V6. It's an EX-L, no nav. Great car, pretty quick too.

However, I have longed for a muscle car since I was born. I love the sound, the look, and the feel of American cars. However, none of the current cars of the time (last year) fit my fancy, especially not Mustangs. God I hate those cars.

When I bought my Honda I was looking to save gas, as gas was like what? 5$/gal.

I could probably sell my car for $23-25k or trade it in for $20k.

I was looking at the 2LT. Manual. I want the manual for the little extra speed I might get out of it.

Now I know after I say this you're all going to roll your eyes and say "teenagers", but, I'll admit it. I want to know that when I look over at that V6 Charger, Rx8, Mazda6, even ACCORD that I could beat him if I wanted. How does this car compare to those? I read that my current V6 Accord Coupe is faster than the V6 Camaro? Is this true? I know the Accord weighs less. What could I do that would make my Camaro faster besides a turbo? Anything the factory will do that I can order? Obviously I can put a cold air intake on, but those honestly look prettier than what they add to performance.

Also, my car HAS to sound like a muscle car. Will the V6 have a beefy growl? Or a whine like my Accord?

Now here's another predicament I'm in. Being 17, my insurance is probably going to be ass-expensive if I got a V8, right? I have the money for the V8 car, but how bad will the insurance be? Any ideas?

Lastly, if I don't pre-order would I still be able to get a rally yellow with black stripes? Yeah yeah, bumblebee. Oh well, it looks cool as hell.

I really want the V8 simply because when I'm older I'll still have this car. I am absolutely in love with the looks. However, I know when I'm 25 I'll wish a had a V8... This is a problem..

PS- When you tell yourself "teenagers" about the "race" comment, think first. You know you like to know your engine would destroy the guys next to you.

Thanks in advance guys! I know this is a long post so I really appreciate you reading it all!
Bawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Good luck with insurance on a V8. Its going to be more than a regular car payment. Regarding to the exuast note, thats what aftermarket parts are for. The factory note will probably sound decent, but an aftermarket catback should deepen that sound for you. You are not going to get any type of leniency until you are in your mid to late twentys, with regards to insurance.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3chfr3ak View Post
Good luck with insurance on a V8. Its going to be more than a regular car payment. Regarding to the exuast note, thats what aftermarket parts are for. The factory note will probably sound decent, but an aftermarket catback should deepen that sound for you. You are not going to get any type of leniency until you are in your mid to late twentys, with regards to insurance.
Yeah, 25. As long as I don't **** up my car.

Which God should shun me if I did mess up a Camaro....
Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
cosmin haraga

Drives: AlfaRomeo 147
say... just out of curiosity, what's your job ?
I think you should go with a v6 , by the time you are 25 , cars will be 90% hybrid or electric and my guess is they WILL force the hardcore gas gang with insurances and expensive petrol.
see the other topics : talk of 2l diesel and hybrid on camaro. I fully expect to be laws passed banning petrol in a few years. at least were its posible say south US and UE.
cosmin haraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Rob490

Drives: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawt View Post
Okay, I'll start this by saying I'm 17. I have a well paying job for my age at 18/hr so I have money. I bought an 08 Accord Coupe last year, V6. It's an EX-L, no nav. Great car, pretty quick too.

However, I have longed for a muscle car since I was born. I love the sound, the look, and the feel of American cars. However, none of the current cars of the time (last year) fit my fancy, especially not Mustangs. God I hate those cars.

I was looking at the 2LT. Manual. I want the manual for the little extra speed I might get out of it.

Now I know after I say this you're all going to roll your eyes and say "teenagers", but, I'll admit it. I want to know that when I look over at that V6 Charger, Rx8, Mazda6, even ACCORD that I could beat him if I wanted. How does this car compare to those? I read that my current V6 Accord Coupe is faster than the V6 Camaro? Is this true? I know the Accord weighs less. What could I do that would make my Camaro faster besides a turbo? Anything the factory will do that I can order? Obviously I can put a cold air intake on, but those honestly look prettier than what they add to performance.

Also, my car HAS to sound like a muscle car. Will the V6 have a beefy growl? Or a whine like my Accord?

Now here's another predicament I'm in. Being 17, my insurance is probably going to be ass-expensive if I got a V8, right? I have the money for the V8 car, but how bad will the insurance be? Any ideas?

Lastly, if I don't pre-order would I still be able to get a rally yellow with black stripes? Yeah yeah, bumblebee. Oh well, it looks cool as hell.

I really want the V8 simply because when I'm older I'll still have this car. I am absolutely in love with the looks. However, I know when I'm 25 I'll wish a had a V8... This is a problem..

PS- When you tell yourself "teenagers" about the "race" comment, think first. You know you like to know your engine would destroy the guys next to you.

Thanks in advance guys! I know this is a long post so I really appreciate you reading it all!

I want a job to pay me 18/hour what is it? Hell i would take a job paying 8.25/hour
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob490 View Post
I want a job to pay me 18/hour what is it? Hell i would take a job paying 8.25/hour
Get a job that requires manual labor. I work for company that sells sand and I have to shovel and move sand bags. Started at 15/hr.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
moving sand in Arizona? God, talk about paying your dues, man... that used to be a punishment in the Army.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Haha, whatever gets me payed. I like to think of it as getting payed to get strong..

But God does it suck sometimes in the summer :P
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Bah, even jobs like that pay crap here. I was moving trees for a living for a while and only making 8. But that was back when minimum wage was 4.55 - so I'm sure they probably pay between 10-12 now. I make 8.75 at my current job. Still not enough to live off of, but its better than not having a job (thank god for that, and I pray for those that don't have jobs).
- Xanthos
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Yeah, I just got laid off a couple weeks ago after 20 years with the same company. That sure ruined my chances of getting a new Camaro anytime soon. I'll just stick with my Z28.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I just took about a 20k hit at work, but I still have my job...for now.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
if you can get 20k on a trade in. just save some extra money now. then trade the accord in towards an SS. that way you will know you dont have to worry about the v-6 cars out there.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Too young for an SS.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Bawt. There are plenty of posts on the V6 I'm driving right now. It's an awesome car and I've posted that for a daily driver I'd probably go 2SS RS. There is a video posted by Maxpower that shows the V6 pulling away with a hint of the sound. Search on those and posts for Number 3.

And Camarospike 23, welcome back. Notice you were away for few days.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Test driver? I envy you... haha!
So in real life, how's it sound? More importantly, how's it drive? Quick?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Too young for an SS.

thats all in your mind. tho im kinda glad that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And Camarospike 23, welcome back. Notice you were away for few days.
yeah, had a "business" trip to Delaware over the last week. test drove a mustang.... and a couple other cars. fun fun...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Bawt. There are plenty of posts on the V6 I'm driving right now. It's an awesome car and I've posted that for a daily driver I'd probably go 2SS RS. There is a video posted by Maxpower that shows the V6 pulling away with a hint of the sound. Search on those and posts for Number 3.
On your 30 min test drive thread, I thought you said the LT for daily and SS for weekend?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
On your 30 min test drive thread, I thought you said the LT for daily and SS for weekend?
I think he mistyped here. I do not believe his opinion has changed.

I could be wrong though.
- Xanthos
Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #19
r.i.p.01slpss

Drives: 01 camaro ss (R.I.P) 92 RS
the thing is if you're already willing to trade in the car you have to get a camaro you would probably be ok with a v6 car. barring any serious problems, the camaro will be around for a few years. you can trade up later, but you'll be eating alot of money if you keep trading in cars. sometimes it sucks but you might want to wait and be sure that you can have the car you want. i debated buying a v6 and then maybe get an ss later but i ultimately decided that if i was gonna buy one i was determined to buy the car exactly how i wanted it.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #20
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Buy the V6. Trade up to V8 when you have more experience (and insurance is cheaper). You will eat many V6 American cars for lunch, maybe show some older mustang GT's what's up too... Watch out for those turbo grocery getters though. An RX-8 might beat you, I don't know, I have no experience with them. You will have to cope with the fact that there will be some FWD V6 imports faster than you. In the end, however, you're the guy driving the Camaro.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
^ Yep. Even if you get an SS there will always be a car out there that will be faster. Just be happy.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
Sabrina saysssss

Drives: 95 camaro <3 =p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob490 View Post

it's not getting me much closer to the car D:
Sabrina saysssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #23
Sabrina saysssss

Drives: 95 camaro <3 =p
Quote:
Too young for an SS.

never.

just don't make dumb decisions while you're driving (learned from that)
Sabrina saysssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
MD

Drives: Beat up Ford Escape WHOO HOO!
Quote:

Im 25 and I'm getting a 2LT/RS, its not just about paying for the car my friend, you also have to consider extra costs that the V8 will incur. Trust me I have gone over the opportunity costs of each and I have come to the conclusion that A) 300+ horses is more then enough B) I will save money on gas, insurance, and repair costs C) Speeding tickets ell getcha! I understand the need for speed at a younger age, heck I had my license suspended by the state of MD when I was 18 in my Bmw 3.25i...You will either grow out of it or the pigs will force you to drive respectfully, TRUST

and if you reallllly want the V8 later theres always something called an engine swap, lol!
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
CAMAROCOP

Drives: 2LT/RS IBM
PIGS?

PIGS? How old are you? I hope you feel the same way when a "PIG" has to come to your house and tell you of an accident that someone you know was in because some fool had to drive too fast. Believe me, I've done it and it isn't fun. Be respectful.
CAMAROCOP is offline   Reply With Quote