Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest OR, ID, MT, WA, WY, AK

Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Kelster

Drives: Many
Oregon governor trying to ban aftermarket auto parts

Stand up and be counted, Oregonians. This is just the first step down a path we can't let our lawmakers (in any state) follow.

Email your state representatives or the governor and tell them this is NOT a good idea!

http://autoblognews.com/oregon-intro...ket-car-parts/

My brother who lives in Wash races and does so about half the time at Portland Raceway so even tho it's not me racing, I still feel this affects me, since I go watch him race when I can.

Ayn Rand

Last edited by Kelster; 02-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Kelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
They also want to put GPS receivers in all vehicles and the drivers will be taxed when they fill up based on the number of miles they have driven. They are trying to figure out what to do when they start losing money in gas taxes because of new CAFE standards. Cars will be required to getting higher gas mileage thus reducing tax revenue. This was reported last week and I am pretty sure it was Oregon. May have been Washington state.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Ad Wizard
Risking Life and Limb

Drives: K5 Blazer
Link no worky

But not to worry - SEMA and other performance part manufacturers will aggressively fight this with their leagues of lawyers and lobbyists.
Ad Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Kelster

link fixed, sorry

Ayn Rand
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
mcernik

Drives: Rally Yellow SS/RS VIN # 3931
They'll probably sneak that into the porkulous oops I mean stimulus bill because it will help the economy and create jobs. Ohh did I say that out loud?
mcernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Kelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernik View Post
They'll probably sneak that into the porkulous oops I mean stimulus bill because it will help the economy and create jobs. Ohh did I say that out loud?

Ayn Rand
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
They already are screwing us in WA... There is a noise ordinance... and well... completley subjective, If the police see anything other then a stock looking exhaust tip they can pull you over for breaking the noise ordinance...

So my Subaru... that has a Subaru Performance Tuning exhaust... made by Subaru for my Subaru.. its part of my cars warrenty... I get pulled over for breaking the ordinance, even though they can provide any Db readings...

so OR... welcome to the game.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Pac. NW sucks. I lived out there for years. Their just pissed cause nobody pays any attention to them. I remember in 96 while living in Auburn WA (30 min. south of Seattle) I visited my wifes family in Louisiana and they had never even heard of Jay Buhner.

No wonder nobody wants to be there. ie. Griffey, A-Rod, Johnson................
Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelster View Post
Stand up and be counted, Oregonians. This is just the first step down a path we can't let our lawmakers (in any state) follow.

Email your state representatives or the governor and tell them this is NOT a good idea!

http://autoblognews.com/oregon-intro...ket-car-parts/

My brother who lives in Wash races and does so about half the time at Portland Raceway so even tho it's not me racing, I still feel this affects me, since I go watch him race when I can.
How can they do that? The automakers only keep making replacement parts for 10 years. Somebody has to make them.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
They also want to put GPS receivers in all vehicles and the drivers will be taxed when they fill up based on the number of miles they have driven. They are trying to figure out what to do when they start losing money in gas taxes because of new CAFE standards. Cars will be required to getting higher gas mileage thus reducing tax revenue. This was reported last week and I am pretty sure it was Oregon. May have been Washington state.
I believe most everything already has GPS receivers....

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 68 Camaro RS
Wow that is some scary stuff, makes me glad I live in VA.
68 Camaro RS Ragtop
71 C-10
94 Roadmaster Wagon LT-1
04 Hertiage Softtail Classic
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinva View Post
Wow that is some scary stuff, makes me glad I live in VA.
I just wished we didn't have those damn front tags!
68 Camaro RS Ragtop
71 C-10
94 Roadmaster Wagon LT-1
04 Hertiage Softtail Classic
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
I believe most everything already has GPS receivers....
He means in order for the government to track your vehicle and the number of miles you've driven.

The proposed legislation would tax people according to how many miles they drive, and not according to how many gallons of gas you use. The only way to know how many miles someone has gone is to be able to physically know where your car has been.

I can see this idea very quickly being shot down when everyone cries foul about invasion of privacy. This is just about the equivalennt of the government putting an ankle bracelet on every American.

Not gonna happen.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #14
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
They have the same kind of Laws in Calif & Parts of NV. They have been trying to do it here in washignton state but we had a car club group that would fight it but the group went under a couple years ago.

AS for the noise thing lol, I laugh I dont live in those counties so if they pull me over for driving my husbands 71 camaro, its funny I normally tell them their laws dont stick with me because I dont live in that area & didnt know anything about it. lol.
Greatest Camaro club around www.pnwcc.com
PNWCC is now on facebook
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT, 87 Iroc-z, 90 Vette Vert , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wizard View Post
But not to worry - SEMA and other performance part manufacturers will aggressively fight this with their leagues of lawyers and lobbyists.
Dont count on it!
Where you at the conference this past SEMA when the EPA came in and said basically, "we answer to the president and no one else. If you make ANY changes to a registered "emmissions controlled" vehicle such as air cleaner or exhaust, or modify the PCM in ANY way, you are breaking laws and we have the right to enforce those laws and plan to do so this coming year. (2009)" They have already made examples of a few manufacturers. The manufacturer and the installer are fined $32K for EACH offense and the vehicle owner is fined $1,800. So if you hook up HPTuners to a car and turn off 5 codes .... guess what ... that equals $32K X 5 in fines to you and $1,800 X5 to the owner. HPTuners has re-written thier software to remove liability from them specifically because of this. The EPA has already bankrupted a couple of companies on these grounds. Its only gonna get worse from here. Enjoy it while you can. It may not happen over night and enforcing it will be very hard but over time, Big Brother is gonna take over.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
He means in order for the government to track your vehicle and the number of miles you've driven.

The proposed legislation would tax people according to how many miles they drive, and not according to how many gallons of gas you use. The only way to know how many miles someone has gone is to be able to physically know where your car has been.

I can see this idea very quickly being shot down when everyone cries foul about invasion of privacy. This is just about the equivalennt of the government putting an ankle bracelet on every American.

Not gonna happen.
Wanna bet?!?!?
Have you read the Patriot Acts???
Our constitution has become nothing more than a historical document for us to look at behind glass. Since 9-11, we the people have forefitted the majority of our civil liberties, personal privacy being one of the first. What do you think the Dept of Homeland Security is all about???
Wake up and smell the crap piling up outside your front door already.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Gilliam Is Against the Bill

good news, heres what Vic Gilliam emailed me in response to this bill

Quote:
Dear Shanden,

Thank you for your email on HB 2186. While I support measures for improving our environment, I am opposing this bill in its current form for a number of reasons including the potential detrimental effects it has on those in the used-parts industry. As Vice Chair of the House Environment and Water Committee, you can be sure that I will do all I can to oppose this bill or amend it to a form that is more acceptable. Your comments are appreciated.

Sincerely,