Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #226
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
What are the dates/times for it? Every Saturday? I'm planning on a meet and greet here in the Petersburg area next saturday to see who shows up, but I'm not expecting much. Seen a lot of people driving 5th gens here, but not many on the forum.
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #227
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
every Saturday 7am - 9am. I won't be there next week as I'm going out of town for a wedding. There are starting to be more and more 5th gens, there is a Calloway camaro that started to come.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #228
The Stig

I went to California tint to get my windshield tinted earlier today, went with 50% ceramic. I went to California Tint in McLean, VA. Just picked them because they are closest to my house and offer a lifetime warranty, didn't have any other reason. Dave, the guy doing my install, is the owner of the shop. Really great guy too. But anyway, let's just say it didn't look like the way I wanted it to when I left the shop :(

Kaylee before the tint was done

Dave getting the tint so he can line it up and cut it to shape

Dave using the heat gun to smooth the tint out before he cuts it

Dave cutting the tint

So this process took about an hour and man did it look good. Couldn't wait to be outside and not have any glare or bright lights in my face. But then it happened. Bum bum banum Dave told me that he wasn't happy with the install and he couldn't let me leave the shop with it. :( I'm going back tomorrow morning at 9am to have them do it. Not a big deal, gets me out of bed early anyway right? But yea, I was a bit bummed that he wasn't happy with it. I did appreciate him being honest upfront and wanting to redo it instead of giving me a crappy tint job. I made a meme so you guys could understand how I felt when this all happened:

Name:  Screen shot 2011-07-23 at 1.31.33 PM.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  138.2 KB
Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #229
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I went to California tint to get my windshield tinted earlier today, went with 50% ceramic. I went to California Tint in McLean, VA. Just picked them because they are closest to my house and offer a lifetime warranty, didn't have any other reason. Dave, the guy doing my install, is the owner of the shop. Really great guy too. But anyway, let's just say it didn't look like the way I wanted it to when I left the shop :(

Kaylee before the tint was done

Dave getting the tint so he can line it up and cut it to shape

Dave using the heat gun to smooth the tint out before he cuts it

Dave cutting the tint

So this process took about an hour and man did it look good. Couldn't wait to be outside and not have any glare or bright lights in my face. But then it happened. Bum bum banum Dave told me that he wasn't happy with the install and he couldn't let me leave the shop with it. :( I'm going back tomorrow morning at 9am to have them do it. Not a big deal, gets me out of bed early anyway right? But yea, I was a bit bummed that he wasn't happy with it. I did appreciate him being honest upfront and wanting to redo it instead of giving me a crappy tint job. I made a meme so you guys could understand how I felt when this all happened:

Attachment 267835
Sometimes it happens... but like you said, at least he didn't leave you with a crappy tint job.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #230
The Stig

Dash ABL

Wow, so I would say I am 2.5 ish hours into this and I'm just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a time consuming install. It probably also doesn't help that it is currently 99 degrees outside. I'm pretty sure I've lost 10 pounds since I started working, and yes I am staying hydrated so don't worry Photo time

This was the first problem that I ran into. A clip got stuck inside the slot.

The crisis was averted though, Gorilla glued them back together.

I was using "patrickt" thread: the no drill method. Well, I didn't follow directions exactly. I ended up drilling a hole, at the time I wasn't really sure why I needed to drill the hole, but now after the fact I figured out why I needed it. (It's OK if that doesn't make sense, it will later *I hope*)

Ofer (2SSRS) and Patrick both have different ways of getting the light pipe to attach to the LED. Well I didn't have any vinyl tubing so I couldn't do Patrick's method, and I didn't really get Ofer's method either. Ended up making my own method.

Black plastic thing that holds the LED

Where I cut the black plastic thing

The back of the black plastic thing

The black plastic thing (revised edition) taped up with the LED

It all fitting nice and snug in the dash

Demonstration of the dash ABL, so far I am really happy with it, though I do want to get that other LED hooked up, shouldn't be much longer now.

Where I am currently
Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #231
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Looking good man! Takes some time I see, but that can be expected, especially the first time.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #232
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #233
The Stig

Windshield tint round 2 = success
Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #234
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Quote:

Windshield tint round 2 = success
Nice man! If only I could get away with that!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #235
The Stig

So on Saturday I found the my passenger side afterburner wasn't working. Well now neither of them are working. Though I am 99% sure that the driver's side is due to a loose connection or a loose t-tap. That one I've got figured out. Now it's just the passenger side one, I pulled the fuse out of the driver's side ballast and tried that, still didn't work. So I think it might be the ballast :( Going to look at it later tonight and if I can't figure it out I will give Jonathan a call. But hey, that's what the lifetime warranty is for right?

Been PMing back and forth with Roger from Emblem Pros about the door sills. He can make the BLACK door sills, but the laser they have now can't make them the same size as OEM. So that project is getting up on hold until they get their new laser in (he said about 8 weeks). But I did pick up a underhood bowtie in the process of all of this.

Gary from Bassani emailed me earlier this morning. They have all the parts in, but are waiting on some clamps. He said that they should come in sometime this week. I'm in no rush as I'm out of town this weekend for a wedding. I really want to do the install myself, as its not a particulary taxing install. Just don't know if I have time to do it :( But hell, I can make time. I have a few days off of work coming up here at the end of August. Though I would like to have them on before then. Then I also need to get dyno'd and a tune, which would be easy if she is already at a shop.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #236
The Stig

Gary emailed me last night, my bassani system ships out today. So here's to hoping that I'll be able to install it next weekend (probably Sunday). Also got a PM from showstoppers: my parts are ready and are shipping out today as well. So I should be getting some presents come next week.

Also: My parking spot at work, and be before people throw me under the bus for double parking, I didn't. That is one (1), count 'em one, parking spot. With a pillar on each side for added protection.
Name:  photo(2).JPG
Views: 742
Size:  157.1 KB
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #237
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Gary emailed me last night, my bassani system ships out today. So here's to hoping that I'll be able to install it next weekend (probably Sunday). Also got a PM from showstoppers: my parts are ready and are shipping out today as well. So I should be getting some presents come next week.

Also: My parking spot at work, and be before people throw me under the bus for double parking, I didn't. That is one (1), count 'em one, parking spot. With a pillar on each side for added protection.
Attachment 269787
Nice parking space.......looking forward to the additions.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #238
The Stig

So this is completely unrelated to any of the mods I'm doing/working on now, but I just had to share. Today when I was leaving work (I park in a parking garage), I started Kaylee up and this little Honda civic, (think it was a civic) that was parked next to me, well it's car alarm went off. It made me ultra-grin. Like a lot.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #239
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
So this is completely unrelated to any of the mods I'm doing/working on now, but I just had to share. Today when I was leaving work (I park in a parking garage), I started Kaylee up and this little Honda civic, (think it was a civic) that was parked next to me, well it's car alarm went off. It made me ultra-grin. Like a lot.
me too.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #240
The Stig

Just got back from Rochester. The girlfriend's best friend got married. The new couple drive off in a baby blue first generation camaro with matching blue interior. As Borat says "very nice".

But I digress. I had some boxes waiting for me at home. No no boxes from Bassani just yet. Hopefully tomorrow. But this is my new underhood bowtie from Emblem Pros. If you hadn't noticed I kind of have a theme going here. I'm hoping to have some time after the gym tomorrow to install it. Cant be too hard right? (*that's what she said*)

I'm much more a fan of subtlety and less is more. Except with rwhp, with that it's more is moar.

I also got another fabric dye pen off of eBay. I have started to notice that some threads are lighter than others, etc, etc. So figured a few bucks and an hour of my time were no big deal, that and knowing that some threads didn't match would slowly drive me insane.

Here is a pic of the fabric pen for reference, in case anyone is looking into doing this mod and doesn't know what to look for. I also apologize that it's sideways. I am on my iPhone currently, but will fix it once I get the chance.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #241
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

How much did the underhood bowtie run you?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #242
The Stig

$140 shipped. Not terrible, and Roger did a great job with it too.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #243
Darth_Emma

I just got back from Rochester too. The weather was so much nicer there than here!

Love the "black" theme, stieger.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #244
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Looks good man, gonna have to show me those panels once you get them (again!) LOL
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #245
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I just got back from Rochester too. The weather was so much nicer there than here!

Love the "black" theme, stieger.
Thanks Em. Yea i fell in love with the BLACK concept camaro when it was first revealed, so I'm slowly aquiring mods that are either replicas of parts from the BLACK concept or parts that I feel work with the idea. Obviously there are differences, like how I have blue halos and the BLACK concept had/has red (my favorite color is blue, and I can use blue lights for my POV when I'm driving to calls and such).

On another modding note, I took out the door pocket ABL lighting. I felt that with the dash ABL now installed it was just too much going on. A little too busy if you can imagine.

I also am calling the performance shop around here (High Tech Auto) and seeing if they can do my springs and bushings install this weekend, as well as get me on a dyno and a tune. I'm expecting at least 100 rwhp gain after I install the Bassani system

I also need to shoot Ofer a PM. Need to find out how I can extend the door ABL so that I don't have that gap between the doors and the dash.

Also, and this one I'm super excited about. I have found my vanity plate. I'm going to buy it online in a few minutes, and once I do that I will be posting it. I can't have anybody stealing my plate idea now can I? Hint: You're all going to be super jealous that you didn't think of this plate first
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #246
Darth_Emma

Quote:
I'm expecting at least 100 rwhp gain after I install the Bassani system
Does that Bassani system have a hidden supercharger in it? I thought it was just headers and exhaust? I'd expect more like a 40 to 50 rwhp gain from headers and a tune.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #247
The Stig

Also, promise this is the last "also" for today. Well I can't really promise that. So Road Rage was nice enough to send me his visors at the same time that he sent me his door panels. So, this means that I have a set of visors WITHOUT the airbag sticker on them that are up for grabs. Pretty much anybody who wants them and is willing to pay shipping can have them.

Yes I have a method of completely removing the airbag sticker, not just putting an overlay on it. I can do a DIY for it sometime if people are interested. It's really not a hard process, just time consuming.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #248
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Also, promise this is the last "also" for today. Well I can't really promise that. So Road Rage was nice enough to send me his visors at the same time that he sent me his door panels. So, this means that I have a set of visors WITHOUT the airbag sticker on them that are up for grabs. Pretty much anybody who wants them and is willing to pay shipping can have them.

Yes I have a method of completely removing the airbag sticker, not just putting an overlay on it. I can do a DIY for it sometime if people are interested. It's really not a hard process, just time consuming.
I'd like to get rid of the airbag stickers if it can be done without leaving them looking horrible. How do you do it?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #249
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'd like to get rid of the airbag stickers if it can be done without leaving them looking horrible. How do you do it?
I need a set of visors that still have the stickers on them to make a video. If you want my current ones we can talk via PM about trading visors, and then I can do a video on how to remove them.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #250
Darth_Emma

Ummm. Is it not possible to just put it in words? I have thought about heating them up with my hair dryer and slowly peeling them off. Then using goo off or something.

I have also thought about just buying another set from DSV Customs.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1