Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

GM Carlisle
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #1429
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm the only 5th gen in the entire town.
nuh uh....
I bet mine is in town almost as much as yours....
"counting your summer vacation away time"
but mine doesent spend the night there.... you need a garage...
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #1430
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Just caught up the last couple pages... when it rains it pours!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #1431
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Got off the phone with Geico. I am covered under my comprehensive coverage, so yay there, and because it's vandalism it won't affect my premium at all. Again, yay. Unfortunately my comprehensive deductible is $500, so that sucks. Geico is sending an adjuster out sometime this week to take a look at Kaylee and assess the damage. After which he will write me a check for however much he thinks it will cost to repair her.

Depending on how much the repairs cost, aka if I have money left over, I will be buying some sort of in car surveillance security system. I've been on the fence about buying something like this for a long time now. I guess it took Kaylee getting keyed for me to admit that it was worth the money.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #1432
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Got off the phone with Geico. I am covered under my comprehensive coverage, so yay there, and because it's vandalism it won't affect my premium at all. Again, yay. Unfortunately my comprehensive deductible is $500, so that sucks. Geico is sending an adjuster out sometime this week to take a look at Kaylee and assess the damage. After which he will write me a check for however much he thinks it will cost to repair her.

Depending on how much the repairs cost, aka if I have money left over, I will be buying some sort of in car surveillance security system. I've been on the fence about buying something like this for a long time now. I guess it took Kaylee getting keyed for me to admit that it was worth the money.
Do not take their first offer. Go to a good body shop and get their estimate. In fact, you should get at least 2. Then if your ins. tries to low ball you, then you have some estimates in hand to prove it.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1433
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Do not take their first offer. Go to a good body shop and get their estimate. In fact, you should get at least 2. Then if your ins. tries to low ball you, then you have some estimates in hand to prove it.
I get to haggle with them? I LOVE haggling. Just found my silver lining, thank you Em.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1434
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Before the Geico gets there, get to the body shop you want to do the work and get your own estimate. Then go to the most expensive custom paint shop in town. Get and estimate from them. When Geico says this much will get it fixed, you will know where you start haggling ;-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #1435
Darth_Emma

Quote:
I get to haggle with them? I LOVE haggling. Just found my silver lining, thank you Em.
Yes you do. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

They will try to give you "Maaco money" and you don't want Maaco to do the work. Agree to NOTHING until you get those estimates.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1436
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Before the Geico gets there, get to the body shop you want to do the work and get your own estimate. Then go to the most expensive custom paint shop in town. Get and estimate from them. When Geico says this much will get it fixed, you will know where you start haggling ;-)
Hmmmm maybe have her painted Piano Black - Oh, or flat black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Yes you do. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

They will try to give you "Maaco money" and you don't want Maaco to do the work. Agree to NOTHING until you get those estimates.
I had to google Maaco as I've never heard of it before Needless to say I am not taking her to Maaco.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1437
Darth_Emma

Maaco = cheap crappy paint job.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #1438
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Better than this...

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #1439
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Better than this...

hahaha You think Maaco will give me $10 free metal work?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #1440
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
earl shieb lol best of the best
def get an estimate from a few shops.
they can say it is only 1000 to repair, but if the paint shop says its 2000 to repair you better be ready to argue...
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #1441
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Man, I think that I would end up spending the night in jail if I saw somebody doing that to a nice car, period. If it were mine, I pity the fool!

First things first. If it were paint, you could clay or buff on it and it will immediately come off. That's why you have to prep a panel before you paint it. The paint won't stick unless you do. So if you attempt to do either one of those things, you will quickly be able to determine what you are looking at.

If painting is required, here are some do's and don'ts. Do not allow a dealership to paint it. They are only interested in one thing, getting your car in and out the shop as quick as possible. The same is true for a shop that does nothing but insurance work. They cut as many corners as possible so that they can keep as much of your insurance check as possible.

So who do you want painting your car? A mom & pop shop that has a professional paint booth that does some outstanding work. The only way to find that shop is to do some gum shoe work on your behalf. You find the shop and then inspect some of their before and after work. Look for attention to detail. Make sure that you check their work in direct sunlight as well as artificial light. If they don't want to accommodate you, they don't want your money. Ask them questions like how often they change the filters in their paint booth. That will cause their ears to perk up because normal car owners know nothing about paint booth filters (which is a important part of keeping dirt out of your paint). Ask them about the warranty of their work and ask them if you can speak with the person who will actually be painting the car. This is a red flag to them and causes them to pay special attention to the work they are going to be doing. That's exactly what you want.

You have to come at them with more knowledge than the common customer. The last time I had a shop do some work for me, they had a sign hung on the window of the car when I stopped in one day. I wish I had a picture of it because it cracked me up. It stated:

If you are not working on this car, do not breath on it. Owner is very anal."

I obviously had gotten my point across by the time I handed them the keys!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #1442
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Dang RJ...so sorry about this...hopefully it doesn't need painting but the pics look bad....hope you find who did this.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1