Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #1471
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
Steiger, as far as paint goes, it is usually personal preference of the shop. There are many quality paint jobs done with Dupont, PPG, house of Kolor etc etc. Normally a shop will stay with one of the brands listed as the basemaker, reducer, activator etc are sometimes specific to brands. I wouldnt go as far as statiing "I want PPG paint Only". As far as trash in the paint. Well, that all depends on if the car just came out of the paint booth, "Most" shops will color sand and buff the paint out after it has been cleared to remove any slight imperfections, ( trash in the paint). You will still get trash in the paint, even with a filtered paint booth but it is minimized Hope this helps.
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1472
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
Steiger, as far as paint goes, it is usually personal preference of the shop. There are many quality paint jobs done with Dupont, PPG, house of Kolor etc etc. Normally a shop will stay with one of the brands listed as the basemaker, reducer, activator etc are sometimes specific to brands. I wouldnt go as far as statiing "I want PPG paint Only".

The shops written warrantee will tell you how confident they are with their system.

Speaking of warrantee..... your ins. co. may have preferred shops, if you use them you MAY get a life time warrantee (not transferrable limited)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1473
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post

The shops written warrantee will tell you how confident they are with their system.

Speaking of warrantee..... your ins. co. may have preferred shops, if you use them you MAY get a life time warrantee (not transferrable limited)
My insurance company does have a shop in Erie (30 min drive). The shop has 0 warranty, but Geico insures whatever work the shop does for life. Need to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #1474
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
My insurance company does have a shop in Erie (30 min drive). The shop has 0 warranty, but Geico insures whatever work the shop does for life. Need to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
The only problem with that is who wants a shop to repaint your car multiple times until they get it right? I would prefer them to get it right the first time. If they know what they are doing and take pride in their work, they will. No mulligans when it comes to painting my baby unless I'm doing the painting. That's because I an no painting expert.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1475
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
The only problem with that is who wants a shop to repaint your car multiple times until they get it right? I would prefer them to get it right the first time. If they know what they are doing and take pride in their work, they will. No mulligans when it comes to painting my baby unless I'm doing the painting. That's because I an no painting expert.
That's exactly my thinking.

Just pulled the trigger on a SMARTY BX1500 PLUS Smart Black Box Car Drive Recorder. It has a 170 degree viewing angle, 1280x960 resolution, a 32GB memory card, and can be hard wired into the car. It's even smart enough so that when the memory card gets full it overwrites the oldest data first.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #1476
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Nice.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #1477
The Stig

SJM Autoprod cup holder

Got sjmautoprod's cup holder in yesterday. It was/is really well done. I got the option that has a T-harness, so it's all plug and play - which was nice. Though the turquoise LEDs aren't close enough to the GM ABL for me to leave it. Ofer was nice enough to send me a pair of GM blue LEDs, so I can just solder those in once they get here.

Ignore the brown finish, that's the paper/protector thingy. I got the black finish, but didn't want to take the paper off just yet.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #1478
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
looks good steiger
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #1479
The Stig

So I'm at a body shop getting an estimate. First off - this is the nicest body shop I've ever seen (don't know if that's good or bad). I'll upload pics once I'm home.

I asked the manager if they had a separate sealed paint booth - yes. Then I asked him how often they changed the filters. His response "what? Are you in the business or something?" No, I just love Kaylee. Him "OK.....well we change the bottom one every week and the top one once a month." I'm going to defer to you guys of that's often enough or not. For paint they use Shirkins (spelling? - that might not be it exactly but it sounds like that), again don't know if that's a good brand.

Either or, I'm glad you guys prepped me on what to ask. So thank you much guys. I really appreciate the help.

Oh and their paint and workmanship is guaranteed for life of the vehicle. So that's cool.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #1480
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
That's all good... Might do a BBB check just to make you feel better...
Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #1481
The Stig

Edit: top filter is changed every 3 months
Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #1482
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Woooow looks really nice which site did u get it from.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #1483
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre777 View Post
Woooow looks really nice which site did u get it from.
send a PM to sjmautoprod
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #1484
The Stig

Some pictures of the waiting room, yes this is the waiting room.

and the body shop estimate is *drum roll please* - $1,123.61

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1