Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #251
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Ummm. Is it not possible to just put it in words? I have thought about heating them up with my hair dryer and slowly peeling them off. Then using goo off or something.
It is yea. Basically I used my sisters high strength hair dryer on hot and heated the sticker up for a few minutes (literally a few minutes). This gets the plastic of the visor super soft. From there I used a spackling/putty knife to get the sticker off of the plastic. The whole time you need to keep the hair dryer on the visor or it will cool and then the sticker will come off in tiny pieces.

Once you get a bit going you want to start using your hands, but you put the putty knife right at the edge of the sticker where it is still stuck to the plastic. This keeps the plastic from being pulled up with the sticker. Then it's just slow and steady wins the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma
I have also thought about just buying another set from DSV Customs.
Yea that is what is prompting this. I was not the biggest fan of my ACE slip ons because I lost the mirror inside the visor. Well I shouldn't say that "I" wasn't the biggest fan, but rather my girlfriend wasn't the biggest fan of losing the mirror.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #252
The Stig

Oh and something not so funny happened while I was out at lunch yesterday. The girlfriend was closing the trunk (by the bowtie so as not to hurt the paint) and the bowtie came right off :( I'm not really upset by it, I mean I figure the combination of the heat and her pulling on it knocked it loose. No big deal as the paint didn't scratch or chip. I will probably do that tonight after I finish up the underhood bowtie. Just wanted to mention it ontop of all the other stuffs.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #253
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
I voted for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #254
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Oh and something not so funny happened while I was out at lunch yesterday. The girlfriend was closing the trunk (by the bowtie so as not to hurt the paint) and the bowtie came right off :( I'm not really upset by it, I mean I figure the combination of the heat and her pulling on it knocked it loose. No big deal as the paint didn't scratch or chip. I will probably do that tonight after I finish up the underhood bowtie. Just wanted to mention it ontop of all the other stuffs.
I took mine off... looks cleaner... do you have the holes?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #255
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
I took mine off... looks cleaner... do you have the holes?
Nope no holes. So it's not a big deal, just something I need to get around to.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #256
The Stig

Emblem Pros Underhood Bowtie

Install Difficulty by Age: 11+ years old
Install Time: 15 minutes
Tools needed: plastic trim removal tool (but can be done without)

First step, open your hood. I'm not going to explain that part, and honestly if you can't open your hood After you got the hood open it is pretty easy from here on out. Just use your trim removal tool to pop out the 8 plastic push rivets that are holding the lining in place.

Pics of the removed liner and Kaylee's naked hood. *Cue the Barry White music*

Now I was a bit hesitant to put the bowtie on the liner, and this is only because I had no idea if what I was about to do was correct or not. Needless to say, I did it right. You line up the bowtie and then just push it. I worked one screw at a time and push slowly until it popped out the other side of the liner.

Finished product

I think it looks good, though the garage lighting doesn't do it justice I don't think. I'll see if I can do a quick snap shot before I head out to work.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-05-2011 at 08:23 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #257
The Stig

So my Showstoppers parts came, the ones I ordered in early May. Of course when I saw the box I had no idea that it was my Showstoppers stuff. The box was pretty misleading, though I should have taken it as a sign that something was a muck. I have more photos from the attempted install and will post them once I am at a computer. But "frowny face" pretty much sums up the past 45 minutes.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #258
The Stig

So the above picture is why I had no idea what was going on with my parts. I literally stopped and went "when did I order parts from RPI, did I like blackout and order mods one night?"

That obviously didn't happen, .....or did it? Seriously though, it didn't. *Also before I continue, this post will probably read like I'm really pissed off and annoyed, I'm not. I am barely annoyed and think of this as a minor inconvenience more than anything. I just like to use sarcasm in my writing sometimes, so I promise you I'm not really upset, just slightly annoyed.*

So right, well I open up the box and there I see are my parts (from Showstoppers?) Here are some pics. The hydrodipping looked really good and I could tell that it wasn't some half assed rush job.

Now, this is where the little things that are wrong start to pile up. The kick panels have no adhesive backing to them. Cue the first frowny face. Now I have a photographic visual memory, not trying to brag or anything just stating a fact. So that in mind, when I was speaking with Showstoppers I specifically asked about the door kick panels having adhesive backing: he told me that their was indeed adhesive backing. But hey, I'm a forgiving guy that could have been an oversight, nothing a little 3M tape won't fix.

So now onto the radiator cover.Pics of the engine bay beforehand:

Now this is where I started to question a few more things. Like fitment for example.

Now as you can see, if I put the cover in the correct location, it covers up the radiator cap. This wasn't the case when I did a test fit back in May. Also, the side near my Injen is about 3" away from my actual intake. When I did a test fit in May I marked that maybe a 1/2" needed to be trimmed so that it would fit and still fill the space.

If I want to get it so that the radiator cap is in the middle of the hole, and so that I can open and close my fuse box without hitting anything this is how I have to set it up.

I'm heading out to dinner now so don't have time to sit down and write Showstoppers an email, but I will be doing it when I get home. Before I have any kind of reaction to all of this two things are going to happen: 1) an explanation and 2) they get one chance to make it right. After that, I just want my money back, not dealing with any of this back and forth stuff.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #259
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Sucks to have this type of shit happen.

I'd just say be patient. Let them make it right. Easier said that done but I've done it a lot on here. I've always said, it's not how you do me when it's all gone well. It's how you do me when it hasn't gone well. The sign of a good company is how they handle the problems. Anyone can look good if it all goes right.

Still sucks though. :(
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #260
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I've generally been very happy with Showstopper items. However, I was not real happy with the fit of the radiator cover, so I bought one from Roto-Fab and it fits much better. I also liked the look of the textured finish of the Roto-Fab cover more too.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #261
The Stig

Yea, so now my only thing is how do I email Showstoppers about this. I really just want to copy and paste my post into a PM or an email and call it a day. But I feel like there should be some more tact involved. Just can't figure out how at the moment.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #262
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Yea, so now my only thing is how do I email Showstoppers about this. I really just want to copy and paste my post into a PM or an email and call it a day. But I feel like there should be some more tact involved. Just can't figure out how at the moment.
Just send him a pm with your pics and explain the issue. He will take care of you. He always has for any concern I've ever had.

In fact, I always recommend contacting the vendor first.

One time, I had an issue with one item and I pm'd him and he told me to try a fix.. and it worked. It turned out I had installed it wrong and all was well. It as my own fault and was easily fixed.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #263
The Stig

I shot him an email explaining everything and how I'm not mad, just want to know what is going on. Damn, why can't I just get my car parts and install them in piece. Not asking for much I don't think.

I also am hoping that my DSV visors arrive tomorrow, but at the latest they should be here by the end of the week.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #264
hokie2012

Drives: Chevy 1500
first off, awesome car. Love the black idea. What grill insert is that you have in the grill and lower front as well. Could you post a link?

Thanks
hokie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #265
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie2012 View Post
first off, awesome car. Love the black idea. What grill insert is that you have in the grill and lower front as well. Could you post a link?

Thanks
I don't have a link per say as I bought my grilles used. But they are the T-Rex black billet grilles. Upper and lower.

Thanks for the compliments, and welcome to Camaro5. Also, if you want to see some really nice cars you should stop by Katie's Coffee in Great Falls village Saturday mornings from 7-9.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #266
hokie2012

I live in southern maryland, and go to Virginia Tech in blacksburg for football games. Jw how much have you spent on your car. Just a ballpark number is fine, or PM if you want. I'm jw because I'm lookin to get a camaro and was trying to crunch the numbers on how much I'd have to spend afterwards
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #267
The Stig

Quote:
I live in southern maryland, and go to Virginia Tech in blacksburg for football games. Jw how much have you spent on your car. Just a ballpark number is fine, or PM if you want. I'm jw because I'm lookin to get a camaro and was trying to crunch the numbers on how much I'd have to spend afterwards
Haha man the dreaded "how much have you spent on mods" question. First let me clarify one thing, you don't HAVE to spend anything afterwards. I just want to. After I my new headers, and the dyno tune I will probably be around $7,000 ish.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #268
hokie2012

That's actually less than I expected. Kudo's to you for doing most of it yourself, thats a money saver and awesome.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #269
The Stig

Quote:
That's actually less than I expected. Kudo's to you for doing most of it yourself, thats a money saver and awesome.
Thanks, and yea I try to do as much as I can myself 1) because I love doing it and 2) saves me a lot of money.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #270
hokie2012

yea thats good, I loved the Black concept edition when it came out. I'm thinking when I get mine the first thing I'm gonna do is make the exhaust bad ass, sound like a classic camaro. I'm thinking headers and exhaust? Maybe a valve where you can open it up or route it through the pipes
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #271
The Stig

Quote:
yea thats good, I loved the Black concept edition when it came out. I'm thinking when I get mine the first thing I'm gonna do is make the exhaust bad ass, sound like a classic camaro. I'm thinking headers and exhaust? Maybe a valve where you can open it up or route it through the pipes
Ah yes, cut outs. They are on my wish list too.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #272
The Stig

Got a response from Showstoppers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper
The radiator shroud have some play to adjust it correcty. That cap on the left is not stationary. As for the adhesive I will have to send you some.

Pretty short response to the issues I asked him about. The thing I don't get is that the radiator shroud is made of metal, it is sheet metal cut to fit that was hydrodipped. I don't understand how it has some "play" to it. For me to get it so that the radiator cap (not the washer fluid cap) is centered in the hole I have to angle it so that the driver's side doesn't line up with the front of the engine bay. He also didn't answer my question as to why my parts said they came from RPI Designs...*possibly dodging the question?* I'm going to give it a little bit before I respond, want to make sure I articulate myself and make sure that I am very clear and to the point.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #273
The Stig

License Plate Time

OK, so the damn DMV won't let me do FTW as my plate :(, but I've narrowed it down to a few. Input is appreciated
  1. BI-WIN
  2. ZL1 NEXT
  3. NICE SS
  4. EPIK WIN
  5. WININNG

Last edited by The Stig; 08-03-2011 at 02:20 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #274
Darth_Emma

I had SS FTW and changed it. I kept getting flipped off.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #275
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I had SS FTW and changed it. I kept getting flipped off.
really? I loved that plate. I'm trying to see if I can just get FTW, but the online thing won't let me do it. So I am shooting the DMV an email explaining what FTW stands for and how its not vulgar.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1