Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #1939
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Got my door kick panels and radiator cover back from Emblem Pros. Roger redid the door kick panels (so they actually fit now), will have pics of them later. He ended up having to re-dip them because the pattern Showstopper used is apparently no longer in production . I told him to hold off on re-dipping the radiator cover, wanted to see how off it was in person. Well in person, it's pretty off. But hopefully no one notices. I will probably attempt to wrap the radiator cover in carbon fiber in the next few months or so. Anywho, here's a pic of the cover installed.

As you can see, it's pretty off from the rest of the carbon fiber stuff. And yes, I'm the kind of person who gets frustrated by things not matching. It's alright though, Kaylee won't be making any appearances until she's repainted.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if you can use the insurance claim to repaint her in a different color? The thought came to me the other day and was thinking about different color combos and what not. Though if insurance won't cover it then I'm not going to bother day dreaming.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1940
The Stig

I also picked up these nifty (yes nifty) little things from sjmautoprod. They aren't terribly bright (haven't tried them in the dark yet) but the idea behind them is pretty cool.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1941
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I have decided that I am going to learn how to lay carbon fiber. In my head this will be cheaper in the long run. Got a starter kit from somewhere online (don't remember the site), but I've got 12"x50" of 2x2 twill weave CF to play with. Hoping to start experimenting next week once the kit arrives. Praying this doesn't turn around to bite me.
Let me know how it goes! I started with overlaying parts in carbon fiber; wait until you get to vacuum bagging! It takes a LOT of time, but looks amazing!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #1942
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Let me know how it goes! I started with overlaying parts in carbon fiber; wait until you get to vacuum bagging! It takes a LOT of time, but looks amazing!
From what I've read, vacuum bagging is only needed if you need the part to be structurally stable. But I read that on the internet, so who knows if it's true or not.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #1943
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
From what I've read, vacuum bagging is only needed if you need the part to be structurally stable. But I read that on the internet, so who knows if it's true or not.
that's true, a lot more stable and lightweight, just takes a lot more time and the mistakes become more expensive lol. Any ideas on what you want to layup first? I started with the side covers of the center console.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1944
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
I also picked up these nifty (yes nifty) little things from sjmautoprod. They aren't terribly bright (haven't tried them in the dark yet) but the idea behind them is pretty cool.
I bought some of these on Amazon, because they looked cool and were magnetic. Unfortunately the batteries won't last long at all. I had them on my car for a car show, and they were dead in a few hours. Too bad...I like the concept.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #1945
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
that's true, a lot more stable and lightweight, just takes a lot more time and the mistakes become more expensive lol. Any ideas on what you want to layup first? I started with the side covers of the center console.
First? I'll be wrapping like 5x5 pieces of cardboard. Then from their I'll probably attempt the side covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I bought some of these on Amazon, because they looked cool and were magnetic. Unfortunately the batteries won't last long at all. I had them on my car for a car show, and they were dead in a few hours. Too bad...I like the concept.
If these don't work out then I'll be getting one or two of AAC's flood lights. They are only about a half inch think so I can put them in the hood liner without creating any problems.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #1946
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
If these don't work out then I'll be getting one or two of AAC's flood lights. They are only about a half inch think so I can put them in the hood liner without creating any problems.
That's what I want to do as well (in fact I already have them), but I have an ACS aftermarket fiberglass hood. There's no liner, and I don't want to see any wires.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #1947
sjmautoprod

Drives: '10 1LT
Quote:
FWIW, these have been on our test car for a year or so now with the same batteries, so, YMMV.

We also have a wired version.

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #1948
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
That's what I want to do as well (in fact I already have them), but I have an ACS aftermarket fiberglass hood. There's no liner, and I don't want to see any wires.
This would involve repainting the underside of your hood, but it'd be the best solution. Have your body guy 3M tape the flood lights where you want them and then 3M tape the wires off to the side and what not. Then take some strips of fiberglass and layer it on top of the wire and sorta around the flood light (I want to describe it as making a mound/hill with the opening of the flood light at the top). From there you would just need to lay down some resin and repaint.

I mean that's taking it to the extreme a bit, but that's how I would/will do it whenever I get around to getting an aftermarket hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
FWIW, these have been on our test car for a year or so now with the same batteries, so, YMMV.

Really? Awesome. Not that I really care about having to replace a battery every now and then. Out of curiosity, are the wired ones brighter?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #1949
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post

Really? How long do you leave them on? My car was in an indoor car show so I needed them to stay on all day. By the afternoon there was barely anything left. How long do you think they should've lasted?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1950
sjmautoprod

Drives: '10 1LT
Quote:
Really? Awesome. Not that I really care about having to replace a battery every now and then. Out of curiosity, are the wired ones brighter?
You know, I've never compared the two. I'll do that.

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #1951
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
repainting.

you can paint whatever color you want. they just need to cut you a check. simple as that. they owe you money for the claim...not x or y paint.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #1952
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
repainting.

you can paint whatever color you want. they just need to cut you a check. simple as that. they owe you money for the claim...not x or y paint.
Sweet. Thanks Doug. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I can say that Kaylee will not be plain OEM black when she's done.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1953
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Sweet. Thanks Doug. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I can say that Kaylee will not be plain OEM black when she's done.
always a fan of the things you come up with.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #1954
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
repainting.

Depends
Some states law says that vehicle is restored to previous accident condition
That may be specific to color
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #1955
The Stig

So I was putting my black chrome panels up for sale (which have been in a box since they arrived and I quickly glanced at them). Anywho, so I've been looking at them for most of the day today and damn if I don't start liking them more and more. At first I thought they were to shiny/reflective, but I'm starting to think that it won't really bug me once they are in the car. So I will probably take some time this weekend to install the passenger side. I'm only installing the passenger side because I want to see if I like it before doing both sides. Now the only real downside with this is that I don't have my dash pieces done in black chrome yet. So I'd have to send those off and won't have them back for a month or so - which is fine.

I'm also wanting to install them to see how well the black chrome and carbon fiber look together. With the door panels and door pulls (soon to be pillars as well) I am starting to think/feel that the CF is taking over the black chrome. Which I don't want. I love having the black chrome interior. So this weekend should be fun. I will of course post pics.

Speaking of pics, here are some pics of the black chrome panels.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1