Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2851
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Don't know how I missed it but just now saw what happened. Sorry for your loss and hope you don't have to fight with insurance too much and you receive what you're owed. Just try not to mod your rental, not sure how they feel about that. Kind of surprised that the fire department sent more than one truck. Were there any magnesium explosions?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #2852
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Holy *&% Keep fighting with insurance! Sucks now, but if/when you get another it will be amazing too.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2853
Irishblackcoffee

Drives: 13 1LE GBE M6 NAV NPP 1 of 86 CRT
Sig,

So sorry about the fire. Just glad your ok and like everyone said, the car can replaced, bigger and better than the last. is a huge family and we take care of our own. You will be up and running in no time and doing this .
2013 2SS/RS 1LE GBE Born 2-6-13, "MAX" #1400
Irishblackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #2854
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
That is bullshit. I feel really bad for you bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
It has been said too many times, but I am very sorry for your loss. Hopefully some good will come from this somehow. Keep your chin up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Don't know how I missed it but just now saw what happened. Sorry for your loss and hope you don't have to fight with insurance too much and you receive what you're owed. Just try not to mod your rental, not sure how they feel about that. Kind of surprised that the fire department sent more than one truck. Were there any magnesium explosions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Holy *&% Keep fighting with insurance! Sucks now, but if/when you get another it will be amazing too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishblackcoffee View Post
Sig,

So sorry about the fire. Just glad your ok and like everyone said, the car can replaced, bigger and better than the last. is a huge family and we take care of our own. You will be up and running in no time and doing this .

Thanks guys - I really appreciate it. Also want to say thank you to Vroompunk, he made a thread in the 5th gen general section for me - I couldn't have asked for better friends you guys.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #2855
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
I just would like to say, sorry for your loss.

I am fairly new here, and only post every so often, when something compels me to chime in. But after reading about someone's Camaro caught fire in one of the topics, I came here, and I felt sick to my stomach when scrolling through the pics. I did not read your whole topic here, but from just the little bit of posts I did read about your car, I can gather that it was a very, extremely special car for you.

I know the feeling of something you love, getting destroyed, albeit on a much, much smaller scale. I had a Martin guitar which I bought a few years ago, and loved playing it. It felt like the perfect guitar for me, amazing tone and playability. Well, after about 8 months, something bad happened. A big heavy object fell onto it while I was moving furniture around in the living room, and smashed the guitar. When it happened, I froze. I froze and just stood there in one spot, staring in disbelief for nearly 45 minutes. It was painful. Granted, I know what happened to me was nothing but a hill of beans compared to what happened to you, but I can relate in the feeling of seeing something you love destroyed right in front of your eyes....

I can only hope and wish that everything works out for you man! Glad to know that you are safe. And I sincerely wish you good luck in sorting out your emotions and everything else.
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #2856
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Drives: Nothing.... :-(
I will be donating to you myself soon. Got to get myself out of a jam first.
Best run: not until after break-in

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2857
Chris-10
Tri-County Camaro Tampa

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Man I'm so sorry to hear that about your car. I couldn't imagine. My next mod is a fire extinguisher. Good luck man!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2858
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Not my idea of a burnout
I know your next vehicle will be even awesomer dude.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #2859
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am just now hearing about this...I want to say something but I just don't have words. Sorry? That just isn't enough. I wish I could give you 40 grand :(
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #2860
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I hope this will also be a lesson to those folks that have heavily modified their car to get the proper insurance on it IN CASE something happens. Of course you never suspect or want something to happen but that is what insurance is for.

As I have said already, I am sorry that this happened to you STIG but maybe some folks can use this as a learning experience. GO over you mods with your insurance agent and make sure EVERYTHING is COVERED. Even if you have to pay more for your policy or get a rider. CYA.

Nothing is more heartbreaking than being underinsured, as Stig can attest, and as we all watch him go through this in will become painfully obvious.

Hang in there brother, we will get you through this.

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

PS. I do not know for a fact that Stig was underinsured or if he is just getting hosed but I am using this for example purposes. (Hope you do not mind Stig)
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #2861
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Sorry to hear the news Stig. That is so horrible.

I too am heavily modded. I started my daily driver project before I even took delivery.

My mod list looks similar...........very long.

I thought about the extra insurance 18 months ago. I now have a rider which will cover half of what I have invested. The other half, may not get covered as it would be considered a performance item and the insurance companies may elect to drop the insurance all together when informed that you are modifying your car. So I thought best to use the don't ask don't tell policy.

Sure hope it all works out for you in the end.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2862
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
So sorry bud. I cant imagine being able to stand there and watch the car in that state. I sent a dontation to help you get back into camaro hopefully soon.

All your hard work on this forum, you definately deserve the help.

Best of luck my friend.

PS......im putting my shoes on now and running over to Autozone for a Fire extinguisher!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #2863
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS with Gun metal Gray Stripes
DAMN Brother......so sorry to see this! Well....there IS a positive to this, NEW CAR TIME!!!!!

Blk-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #2864
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS with Gun metal Gray Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
So sorry bud. I cant imagine being able to stand there and watch the car in that state. I sent a dontation to help you get back into camaro hopefully soon.

Best of luck my friend.

PS......im putting my shoes on now and running over to Autozone for a Fire extinguisher!
+1

Blk-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #2865
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Send a message via MSN to redleader
Dear STIG,
I wish I could be there to give you a BIG #hug :-(
I'm so upset.
Godbless.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2866
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Sorry to hear man. Nothing like paying into insurance each month for them to just kick you when your down. Never seems right
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #2867
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
I just would like to say, sorry for your loss.

I am fairly new here, and only post every so often, when something compels me to chime in. But after reading about someone's Camaro caught fire in one of the topics, I came here, and I felt sick to my stomach when scrolling through the pics. I did not read your whole topic here, but from just the little bit of posts I did read about your car, I can gather that it was a very, extremely special car for you.

I know the feeling of something you love, getting destroyed, albeit on a much, much smaller scale. I had a Martin guitar which I bought a few years ago, and loved playing it. It felt like the perfect guitar for me, amazing tone and playability. Well, after about 8 months, something bad happened. A big heavy object fell onto it while I was moving furniture around in the living room, and smashed the guitar. When it happened, I froze. I froze and just stood there in one spot, staring in disbelief for nearly 45 minutes. It was painful. Granted, I know what happened to me was nothing but a hill of beans compared to what happened to you, but I can relate in the feeling of seeing something you love destroyed right in front of your eyes....

I can only hope and wish that everything works out for you man! Glad to know that you are safe. And I sincerely wish you good luck in sorting out your emotions and everything else.
Thank you much, and what happened to you wasn't a hill of beans - I do appreciate you understanding how it felt though. Surprisingly a lot of people don't get that while I'm physically OK yes - mentally I'm still processing what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
I will be donating to you myself soon. Got to get myself out of a jam first.
Thank you much man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-10 View Post
Man I'm so sorry to hear that about your car. I couldn't imagine. My next mod is a fire extinguisher. Good luck man!
Make sure it's an ABC fire extinguisher though (ABC is approved for all fire types - as a car fire is a combination of electrical, fuel, and material).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
Not my idea of a burnout
I know your next vehicle will be even awesomer dude.
haha - thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I am just now hearing about this...I want to say something but I just don't have words. Sorry? That just isn't enough. I wish I could give you 40 grand :(
That would be awesome, because I can tell you insurance isn't going to give me anything close to that number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
I hope this will also be a lesson to those folks that have heavily modified their car to get the proper insurance on it IN CASE something happens. Of course you never suspect or want something to happen but that is what insurance is for.

As I have said already, I am sorry that this happened to you STIG but maybe some folks can use this as a learning experience. GO over you mods with your insurance agent and make sure EVERYTHING is COVERED. Even if you have to pay more for your policy or get a rider. CYA.

Nothing is more heartbreaking than being underinsured, as Stig can attest, and as we all watch him go through this in will become painfully obvious.

Hang in there brother, we will get you through this.

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

PS. I do not know for a fact that Stig was underinsured or if he is just getting hosed but I am using this for example purposes. (Hope you do not mind Stig)
I am insured, but apparently (i.e. according to my insurance) only way I can prove to them what my car was worth was if I had gotten her appraised prior to the incident, filed the appraisal paperwork with them, and basically gotten a whole new policy.

So take this as a lesson I guess; simply because insurance tell you "it's covered as long as you have the receipts" doesn't mean that they'll actually cover it. Just means that they might cover it. Perfect example - my brand new Racing Brake rotors, even though I have the receipt from Apex showing how much they cost insurance says they're only worth $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Sorry to hear the news Stig. That is so horrible.

I too am heavily modded. I started my daily driver project before I even took delivery.

My mod list looks similar...........very long.

I thought about the extra insurance 18 months ago. I now have a rider which will cover half of what I have invested. The other half, may not get covered as it would be considered a performance item and the insurance companies may elect to drop the insurance all together when informed that you are modifying your car. So I thought best to use the don't ask don't tell policy.

Sure hope it all works out for you in the end.
I never mentioned (nor am I asking for coverage on) my performance mods, all I want them to own up to is the cosmetic mods they told me they would cover as long as I provided them with receipts. But what do you know, I give them the receipts, and they don't cover them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post

Best of luck my friend.

Thank you much man - and like I commented earlier, be sure it's an ABC fire extinguisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
DAMN Brother......so sorry to see this! Well....there IS a positive to this, NEW CAR TIME!!!!!
Thank you much man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Dear STIG,
I wish I could be there to give you a BIG #hug :-(
I'm so upset.
Godbless.
I definitely could use one of those right now, not gonna lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMKNU2 View Post
Sorry to hear man. Nothing like paying into insurance each month for them to just kick you when your down. Never seems right
No I agree, and you'd think that with all the money insurance makes they wouldn't have a problem to holding up to their end - but I guess they're just enjoying watching me flounder around like a fish out of water too much.

As to an update/progress report on my whole situation; it sucks. Insurance won't help me out with a rental car until we (insurance and myself) can agree on a value that my car is worth. This becomes difficult when my adjuster only works from 9am - 4pm Monday through Friday. So whenever I need to meet/talk with him I have to take off work.

Eventually I'm going to over stay my welcome on using my friend's car, so then I'll be royally hosed as I won't have a way to work. What I'll probably have to end up doing is by a POS beater car and drive that until I can afford to get back into a camaro, which I'm hoping will be before Fest.

On a side note - does anyone want some cheap parts? I'll be posting up a bunch of stuff in the market place later today or tomorrow (these are parts that I hadn't gotten around to installing prior to Kaylee's accident).
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #2868
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
No I agree, and you'd think that with all the money insurance makes they wouldn't have a problem to holding up to their end - but I guess they're just enjoying watching me flounder around like a fish out of water too much.
I hate insurance! They are so quick to take your money but it's like pulling teeth to get them to fork over some cash! Greed!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #2869
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

On a side note - does anyone want some cheap parts? I'll be posting up a bunch of stuff in the market place later today or tomorrow (these are parts that I hadn't gotten around to installing prior to Kaylee's accident).
What kind of stuff will you be posting up?

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #2870
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
What kind of stuff will you be posting up?

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!
- Hurst shifter (bought it used, but Hurst sent me all new bushing parts and whatnot)
-QTP cut outs, never installed
- some carbon fiber parts (or I might just return them to Alan)
- my service manuals (though Ofer kind of already has dibs on those)
- MBRP square exhaust tips

There's probably other stuff that I'm forgetting, I'll have to look through boxes tomorrow. I haven't opened any of the car parts that I've received since Kaylee's accident, but needing the funds so getting "all sentimental" about her really isn't an option unfortunately.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #2871
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
Hey RJ, sorry to hear all your going through, but I knew before hand that you were going to end up short.

It's a hard lesson to learn on how insurance works. Understand insurance companies aren't mean or evil. They are just a business and not a charitable organization. When we buy insurance, they give us a policy which is a LEGAL contract which they have to honor. They can't do more for us than the contract states, no matter how long you've been paying premiums for. If they did, they would have a liability because thats called "selective exclusion" and it wouldn't be fair to others insured. When they insure a car, they insure it for the fair market value, if we decide to put $100,000 in mods but only have your car insured for fair market, well guess what we are going to get? The fair market value even if it less than what we owe on the car. We can even end up upside down on the loan and with NO car if what you owe is more than the market value.

Asking the insurance company to do more than what the policy states is like ............ well imagine a person passing away who owned a $100,000 "life insurance" policy and the family is asking the insurance company that they should give them $250,000. Everybody knows that wouldn't make sense. It also applies to car insurance.

I would wager that 99.9% of the folks on this forum would be in the same situation your in of being under insured. So this is something that could have happened to anybody including myself.

That's why when I first heard of your unfortunate event, I put myself in your shoes and made the suggestions of us as a community, members, vendors and moderators could collectively try to help a friend out. I feel for you and know that but for the grace of God it could have just as easily been me.

So instead of just offering well wishes, to stay strong and to fight the insurance company, asking them to do something they LEGALLY can't, Justin and I choose to do our small part ourselves so that you can get back to modding and helping everybody else as you had over the last 4 years. Wish we could do more.

Nathan
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #2872
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Hey RJ, sorry to hear all your going through, but I knew before hand that you were going to end up short.

It's a hard lesson to learn on how insurance works. Understand insurance companies aren't mean or evil. They are just a business and not a charitable organization. When we buy insurance, they give us a policy which is a LEGAL contract which they have to honor. They can't do more for us than the contract states, no matter how long you've been paying premiums for. If they did, they would have a liability because thats called "selective exclusion" and it wouldn't be fair to others insured. When they insure a car, they insure it for the fair market value, if we decide to put $100,000 in mods but only have your car insured for fair market, well guess what we are going to get? The fair market value even if it less than what we owe on the car. We can even end up upside down on the loan and with NO car if what you owe is more than the market value.

Asking the insurance company to do more than what the policy states is like ............ well imagine a person passing away who owned a $100,000 "life insurance" policy and the family is asking the insurance company that they should give them $250,000. Everybody knows that wouldn't make sense. It also applies to car insurance.

I would wager that 99.9% of the folks on this forum would be in the same situation your in of being under insured. So this is something that could have happened to anybody including myself.

That's why when I first heard of your unfortunate event, I put myself in your shoes and made the suggestions of us as a community, members, vendors and moderators could collectively try to help a friend out. I feel for you and know that but for the grace of God it could have just as easily been me.

So instead of just offering well wishes, to stay strong and to fight the insurance company, asking them to do something they LEGALLY can't, Justin and I choose to do our small part ourselves so that you can get back to modding and helping everybody else as you had over the last 4 years. Wish we could do more.

Nathan
No I understand Nathan, I'm not trying to get them to pay me 250 when my policy says 100. I'll PM you some screen shots so you understand, but basically my policy states they will reimburse me for mods (minus depreciation) as long as I have receipts (and I do). The issue is that they told me the third party evaluator company never got the receipts. So somewhere between insurance getting the copies and insurance forwarding them to this third party company - they got lost.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #2873
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Stig, Man I had a feeling things were going to get tough. I know insurance can be a total PITA. I hope with the donations the pain is eased and makes it doable for you to get into a new Camaro. Good luck bro.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #2874
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Here you go bro...per your request. I guess it's better to laugh than cry.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2875
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Here you go bro...per your request. I guess it's better to laugh than cry.
that's awesome Russ. Thank you - changing them out now.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1