Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #2901
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Sorry to hear about the car....... speechless .... dayum

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #2902
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Oh man Stig....I just followed your new sig here to find this out. Donation made...best of luck
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2903
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Oh man Stig....I just followed your new sig here to find this out. Donation made...best of luck
Same, good luck and I hope it helps.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #2904

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
...Hopefully some forum sponsors can be of assistance as well...

Haven't heard, just curious about the fire cause....faulty mod?....recent repair?...unknown freak cause?....Just curious, might be helpful to others...this is actually the first fire in a Camaro I've heard about....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #2905
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

Haven't heard, just curious about the fire cause....faulty mod?....recent repair?...unknown freak cause?....Just curious, might be helpful to others...this is actually the first fire in a Camaro I've heard about....
Usually some type of investigation is done to rule out arson over mechanical problems..

So I'm curious about this as well. The Stig mods appear to be most comestic (lights, paint, etc)....... So was it faulty installation of an aftermarket part or a fuel line rupture, etc?
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #2906
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Sorry dude. Those pics are terrible. Hope you get into another soon.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #2907
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Let's help out any one that can help please go here, http://www.gen5diy.com/help_fund_the_new_kaylee

We dont get a cent it goes to RJ.
Very well done Ofer,

Stig has been around forever, and Kaylee was a beautiful machine. Donation sent.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #2908
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Wow, what can I say men.... I just found out about this.

I Really hope you get the most out of you're insurance company and move forward on to a new Camaro.

Good luck!
Thank you much man, I'll be posting an update in a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Stig, I edited my post 2876 because I had the wrong emoticon. I just noticed I had a when I meant to have ! I must have fat fingered when selecting the emoticon! They move those darn things around so much, lol!

I hope all is going well and making progress with the insurance!
haha, no worries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Sorry to hear about the car....... speechless .... dayum
Thank you much man
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Thank you, really appreciate the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
Thank you much
Quote:

Don't know what caused it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Usually some type of investigation is done to rule out arson over mechanical problems..

So I'm curious about this as well. The Stig mods appear to be most comestic (lights, paint, etc)....... So was it faulty installation of an aftermarket part or a fuel line rupture, etc?
Don't know what caused it Kelly, but my insurance company is doing an investigation (more on that in my update post)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Sorry dude. Those pics are terrible. Hope you get into another soon.
Thanks, that's the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Very well done Ofer,

Stig has been around forever, and Kaylee was a beautiful machine. Donation sent.
Thank you for the donation, and yea Ofer has truly gone above and beyond with the paypal thing.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #2909
The Stig

So update......

Got a call from insurance today, new agent though (for those of you playing along at home, that brings the total number of insurance agents working on my claim to three). This one's title by the way - Lead Investigator for my insurance's SIU division. SIU by the way, stands for Special Investigative Unit. All they, the SIU division, does is detect and defeat insurance fraud. What's worse - the investigator wants to meet in person, and is driving 2 hours each way to do so.

Honestly - I'm trying not to freak out. The idea of my insurance company denying my claim didn't even cross my mind, and of course now that's all I can think about

It's going to be a long a couple of days.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #2910
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
So update......

Got a call from insurance today, new agent though (for those of you playing along at home, that brings the total number of insurance agents working on my claim to three). This one's title by the way - Lead Investigator for my insurance's SIU division. SIU by the way, stands for Special Investigative Unit. All they, the SIU division, does is detect and defeat insurance fraud. What's worse - the investigator wants to meet in person, and is driving 2 hours each way to do so.

Honestly - I'm trying not to freak out. The idea of my insurance company denying my claim didn't even cross my mind, and of course now that's all I can think about

I hope C5 doesn't have to break some legs.. Good Luck man!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #2911
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Wow. Dude, if they have a badge on please take pics. lmao
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #2912
thespymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
So update......

Don't FREAK-OUT !!!

as stated above this is standard practice to investigate in cases involving total loss! Especially if they think Arson could be the culprit!

Also assume they read every post on the Internet pertaining to Kaylee , as it helps their investigation! It's how my old insurance company found out I was drag racing and canceled my policy right after they low balled the repairs

Now if electrical fire, due to a installation you may of done and not licensed or certified to do and found to be the culprit of the fire, you carrier can DENY the claim!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #2913

I think it's probably routine for them....If they feel they can re-coup any money from a manufacturer, if something flew into your car that is someone else's liability or whatever....Shouldn't concern you at all. You pay them, and are insured...If they can go after somebody else to re-coup their pay-out, that's their problem, not yours.

Good luck...don't stress...Remember, you're the customer, you've paid them, they should do their job and pay your claim...no biggie...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2914

Quote:

Don't FREAK-OUT !!!

as stated above this is standard practice to investigate in cases involving total loss! Especially if they think Arson could be the culprit!

Also assume they read every post on the Internet pertaining to Kaylee , as it helps their investigation! It's how my old insurance company found out I was drag racing and canceled my policy right after they low balled the repairs

Now if electrical fire, due to a installation you may of done and not licensed or certified to do and found to be the culprit of the fire, you carrier can DENY the claim!
I've seen hundreds of car fires in my day...you can speculate on what causes them til the cows come home....Most people don't even know how to open their own hoods...The damage is so complete, it's practically impossible to pin-point a cause, much less have evidence of some sort of negligence....lol...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #2915
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:

Don't FREAK-OUT !!!

Well now you put it that way, I would be freaking out.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #2916
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2012 Panamera
Speechless I tell ya...speechless! And that's not easy for me.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #2917
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
yea I agree most likely due to the car burning down is why they are doing it.....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #2918
PQ

Quote:

They better come with absolute proof that it was. Which, as just said, would be impossible.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #2919
thespymaster

Quote:
I've seen hundreds of car fires in my day...you can speculate on what causes them til the cows come home....Most people don't even know how to open their own hoods...The damage is so complete, it's practically impossible to pin-point a cause, much less have evidence of some sort of negligence....lol...
A trained arson investigator can identify the culprit of Kaylees demise ! I've seen the carnage of Kaylees remains and if the SIU investigator is trained , he / she will identify the culprit !
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #2920
PQ

But RJ man, I agree with these guys. It's rare for a car to burn like this so I'm sure it's just a formality. Coupled with your latest bout with eh vandalism they might want to try and pin down a possible culprit. I would not worry much.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #2921
PQ

Quote:
A trained arson investigator can identify the culprit of Kaylees demise ! I've seen the carnage of Kaylees remains and if the SIU investigator is trained , he / she will identify the culprit !
I'm a fan of forensics. I've seen them do some pretty crazy stuff. But I just doubt they can prove enough to stand up in court. Not 100%.

I hope you are wrong.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #2922
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
hope they don't find out it was a mod that caused it....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #2923
thespymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But RJ man, I agree with these guys. It's rare for a car to burn like this so I'm sure it's just a formality. Coupled with your latest bout with eh vandalism they might want to try and pin down a possible culprit. I would not worry much.
Exactly !

I'm a knoob when it comes to mechanics of the car, but say the SIU guy determines a OEM part failed and caused the fire, they will pay you insured value and go after mfg of failed part!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #2924
The Stig

Going to catch up on the other posts as well, just saw PQ's first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'm a fan of forensics. I've seen them do some pretty crazy stuff. But I just doubt they can prove enough to stand up in court. Not 100%.

I hope you are wrong.
They don't need "beyond a reasonable doubt." If they don't want to pay, they don't. Then it's on me to sue or what have you.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #2925

Quote:
They may identify the "culprit" in general as being electrical, fuel, battery failure...They may ask Stig did he smell gas beforehand? was their a smell of smoke inside, or just flames outside?...etc.,..They can't say oh, you put in a stereo, therefore it's your fault....or you own a wrench? You must have loosened the fuel line then...lol...Even mods..so what?...It ran fine for a while...something gave out, obviously....Many people work on their own cars or have shops work on them...It doesn't prove anything or is a reason to deny a claim...and even one ignition source can start several others...

I wouldn't tell the investigator, yeah, it's been running bad and spitting out fuel on top of the engine, but I just ignored it!....lol....

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1